Parents Mini-Sessions / breaks

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JessMom

Proud Parent
Here's what I'm wondering. Do your gyms hold mini-sessions during winter / spring break?

Do they close for 2 weeks? Does the team practice even when classes are not in session?

here is why I ask . . . we have a 2 week spring break, no mini-session, gym is closed . . . 2 weeks after we return they have a meet. Sort of worried - after a 1 week break they're sloppy and take a while to get back in the swing of it. What is 2 weeks going to do?

Also. . . we end June 8 . . . they have 2 weeks mini-session . . . which is only 2 days a week and we have to pay extra for . . then a week off . . . then nationals!? A mom also told me that she's never seen them take advantage of training time at nationals . . .

Does all that sound right? Is that the norm?

Thanks!

Hi! My daughter is a USAG level 4 so she is just starting on team but I wanted to give you an idea of how other's gyms handle this. Her gym still practices during Spring Break. Every day. Regular schedule. In fact they don't really take breaks except for a few days here and there like Christmas Day and Eve, Thanksgiving, and New Years day. This is how it was for my daughter when she was on pre-team as well. But they also don't throw a fit if the family decides to go on vacation during this time. Hope that made sense, lol!

By the way, your daughter is adorable! I watched her videos and she is such a good little gymnast!!

That definitely doesn't make much sense to me. I would be worried as well. DDs gym takes about 2 weeks at Christmas and 2 weeks in summer. That is fine for me, though I wish they had a 2 week break 4 times a year. I think their bodies could use it. We do take breaks when she wants to though.

We don't do breaks during the year for anyone. All classes continue through school holidays including both the recreational and the competitive classes. We close for two weeks a year only which is over Christmas and being in Australia that is our summertime aswell. And alll other classes stay open 50 weeks per year.

There are two sides to the problem you present. It does seem like it is not set up well for the competitive gymnasts to have two whole weeks off and come back and compete. Also to do nationals after cutting right down on training. This is not good for the girls at all and no it is definatly not the norm.

BUT on the other hand, from the gyms side of thing. It is important to remember that a gym is a business and it must make money to survive. Attendences need to be of a certain number in order for the gym to cover basic costs and pay the coaches. If not ennough kids attend training they will lose money to hold the practise. Also most competitive teams are paid for by the rec classes. Gyms can't charge what it costs to run the classes for the competitive teams because if parents had to pay that much per hour and train as many hours as they do nobody could afford it. Most gyms instead make this extra money off the rec classes. If the rec classes are not on they will not be able to afford to run team training.

From a competitive team point of view, I see the schedule and lack of practice as a problem. From the rec side not such a big deal although they may be missing chances to get more kids in during these school/summer breaks.

Our gym is USAg plus has a small T & T team. The gym is having small "camps" over spring break for rec kids and pre-teamers and also1 for tumbling and tramp. The competitive girls have practice as usual---big deal for the L8s and up since states are the last weekend of March.

We don't have any real summer breaks except for the week of July 4th---actually more intense practice to get new skills, routines and condition.

At our gym---the gym "closes" for 1 week twice a year--Christmas and Memorial Day weeks. That is mostly for the rec kids....the team works out year round (L5 through elite). I think it is fine for the girls in the upper levels to go year-round as they seem to lose more if they are off, but I think the younger ones could stand a break...JMHO.

Our gym is closed for two weeks at Christmas break, but the optionals go for several practices since their season starts in Jan. In summer the gym is closed for 1 week in July.

during vacation weeks, we may take a few practices off. We don't generally practice before of after xmas and NYD. Whether to bother Halloween can vary. Generally none on July 4th. pricing for weeks like this is typically adjusted so the parents just dont lose out.

I know some gym owners don't like taking days off, but that means us coaches typically have no vacation time...ever. Not like we can get subs, especially if we're on a skeleton crew.

spring break is weird because not all schools take it at the same time.

i've been at a few gyms that after the season is done a week or two off of training time is mandatory. go away kids, just go away.

Agreeing with other here, dd's gym has off 1 week in June and 1 week in Aug. for team. The girls practice regular schedule during Easter break while the rec kids are off and the girls schedules change for Christmas break since everyone is basically off at the same time and they practice during the day again while the rec kids are off. Dd's gym would never take 2 weeks off and then go to a meet shortly after that, I don't think it will show such great results overall for the team. One or 2 might shine, but I don't the team overall will do so well.

Good luck....

team girls get the week off after their state meet, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's and i think that is all.

here is why I ask . . . we have a 2 week spring break, no mini-session, gym is closed . . . 2 weeks after we return they have a meet. Sort of worried - after a 1 week break they're sloppy and take a while to get back in the swing of it. What is 2 weeks going to do?

Also. . . we end June 8 . . . they have 2 weeks mini-session . . . which is only 2 days a week and we have to pay extra for . . then a week off . . . then nationals!? A mom also told me that she's never seen them take advantage of training time at nationals . . .

Does all that sound right? Is that the norm?

Thanks!

Wow! That's is very strange scheduling. I've never heard of a gym taking a break during the season and right before states or nationals. Weird!

We go year round at dds gym. They take off apprx. a week during xmas, but that's it. If as a parent, you want your dd to take a week off, or go on vacation, etc.. no problem, but there's no gym closing type break. The coaches probably wouldn't be to happy if a gymmie was not in the gym right before States or Nationals. Wow, I can't get over that one.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back