WAG Minimum level at age 11 for college track?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would bet if you did an average of all college gymnasts level at 11 years old, it would be level 8, with many at level 7 and 9 also. Then a handful that were already level 10 and handful still compsories because they started gym later and eventually caught up.

Anecdotally I had heard L10 by 13. But the problem is that it takes some girls a couple of years on 8 or 9 to move up. Just taking that into account...

I think that what grade they are in is more relevant that age for this question, no?

I’d think so, yes. My daughter is 8, but has a late fall birthday, so she’s in 2nd grade- so she has as many years left in gymnastics before graduation as her 7 yr old best friend that is not 8 until July...

I would bet if you did an average of all college gymnasts level at 11 years old, it would be level 8, with many at level 7 and 9 also. Then a handful that were already level 10 and handful still compsories because they started gym later and eventually caught up.
What Wandrewjr said, and to add, Level 10 by 9-10 grade is pretty standard and where they are going to get looked at. Any earlier opens them up for additional schools that recruit early. Obviously if you have dreams of going to some of the schools that recruit early, you won't be in the running unless you are a 10 by 7-8 grade. In other words the "college Track" totally depends on the college you are interested in.

There is no level/age correlation for college scholarships. My daughter was 11 in old level 6 (now level 5), and if she had not been injured would have been on a college team. (she had offers). She was a level 10 in 9th grade and only scored out of level 7, and repeated level 9.

I guess my daughter falls into the standard Level 10 by 8th grade. There were some interest on her first year Level 10 and a Div. 1 (not top 20 team though) told me she was their top recruit. But she has gotten injured on and off for almost the entirety of her 3 1/2 years in Level 10. Honestly, not sure where she stands with the colleges that showed interest. That said, I know several gymnasts who've gotten scholarships with only 2 years in Level 10 or some even 1. If you want a top 20-30 college team, you likely need to be in Level 10 at least by 9th grade but even if you reach Level 10 in your junior year, there is still a chance for a scholarship. Two of our seniors three years ago got Div. 1 scholarships in their senior year; one is actually a top performer making history for her college team. But remember Div. 1 college coaches will likely not look at a gymnast until they are level 10; so the sooner you get there the sooner you can get on college coaches' radar. However even if you get to Level 10 at a young age, getting a scholarship is a whole new ballgame and has so many variables.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back