WAG Minor Finger Issue

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OK. I know this sounds really lame, but here is what happened.

I was doing tsuk drills onto a mat and fell upside-down backwards on my head and hand. I didn't hear any cracks, though I was paying attention to my head- the floor behind the mats is carpet and concrete. It hurt quite bad and could barely move it. I couldn't put any pressure on it. I would rate the pain as a 9-9.3.
This was last Thurs.

Update

Next Day- It swelled to almost 2 times the normal size. It didn't bruise and I iced it every couple hours.

Next Tues- Today
The swelling went down. I can almost bend it all the way. And it almost can straighten by itself. It still hurts- about a 4.3. The knuckle is still sticking out on the right side, more than my other finger. It is still a little swollen. I think it may have fractured. I can feel that the bone is slightly off center. I have yet to see a doctor. Should I?

We cannot and will not give medical advice on this site. Call a doctors office, tell them this and ask their advice.

Asolutely see the doctor. Do not even try to test it. If there is a fracture or even a partial dis-location you are risking nerve damage when things move around as you "give it a try". Even movment that puts everything back in place can cause damage. That's why they take ex-rays before and after manipulating a fracture.

Not saying it's a fracture or a dislocation, only that you won't know until you see a doc.

That notion of "if you can move it, it isn't broken" is absolutely false! Just ask my 9yo who I forced to play basketball for a week with a broken arm. Go to the doctor and get it checked out. Pushing through minor pain is one thing, but ignoring an obvious potential injury is reckless.

yep, go see a Dr. There's too many joints/ligaments/tendons in fingers, and too much risk of long term or permanent damage.

Get it checked out.

That notion of "if you can move it, it isn't broken" is absolutely false! Just ask my 9yo who I forced to play basketball for a week with a broken arm.
I went through that as a kid - broke my wrist, but my dad said I could bend it, so it was fine. Aunt, who was in nursing school and lived near by, came over for dinner one night and made them take me for an x-ray. Felt rather vindicated after complaining so profusely about how much it hurt.

I went through that as a kid - broke my wrist, but my dad said I could bend it, so it was fine. Aunt, who was in nursing school and lived near by, came over for dinner one night and made them take me for an x-ray. Felt rather vindicated after complaining so profusely about how much it hurt.
Oh believe me...it was one of those I'm-a-horrible-mother kind of moments. I was his coach and I made him do 3 practices and 2 games before I broke down and brought him. It was broken almost all the way through just under the growth plate. I have never felt so bad, and the little guy didn't help either. He was so smug about it. "I told you it hurt!"

At least you only waited that long. I broke my arm as a kid and my parents believed the school nurse who said she didn't think it was even a bad sprain. Four weeks later when it was still swollen and hurt we had the x-ray that showed it had been broken. The doctor had to re-break to get it to set correctly. Now that hurt!

Get to the doc or hospital. I dislocated my pinky a few years ago and set it myself. It has never been straight since. I can do everything I need to do with it but it's naturally crooked now. I can straighten up manually but not by itself.

I love showing it to the kids or spotting them only with my weak pinky.

I probably shoulda went to the doc but it was really annoying me at the time so I set it myself. It was also re dislocated shortly thereafter within 2 months and that might be the reason it ended up crooked.

At least you only waited that long. I broke my arm as a kid and my parents believed the school nurse who said she didn't think it was even a bad sprain. Four weeks later when it was still swollen and hurt we had the x-ray that showed it had been broken. The doctor had to re-break to get it to set correctly. Now that hurt!
Ouch!!! I bet!

My dd hit her right index finger on the pit bar trying to grab a jaeger, she continued to work bars for about 45 minutes after that, basically just catching jaegers. She told her coach that her finger hurt, his response was a roll of his eyes. She went to her next event, beam, tried to do her BHS-BLO series and basically fell on her head. I got the call to pick her up, we went to an urgent care center and they said it was broke. Went to orthopedic hand dr on Tuesday, confimed broke - pulmar plate avolusion. Yesterday she was fitted with special splint for her finger. She can move her finger, but it hurts to straighten all the way and she can't bring it all the way down in a fist, like the other fingers. It is all various shades of purple though and the swelling actually isn't that bad!

Like a PP said, she couldn't wait to go into the gym on Tuesday and tell the coach that rolled his eyes at her that it was indeed broken. :rolleyes: I told her this is God's way of saying "it's time to get that beam dismount now!" It doesn't require her using her hands!!

Fingers heal quick, we are hoping she is back in bar action after next week!

Go get it check out, then you will know what you are dealing with....

Seriously, I would be so pist at the coach. *Smack*. Or something along the lines of, " guess what, apparently you're not a doctor because you didn't know it was broken...dumb arse [ said under breath ] "

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back