WAG mobility requirements within gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Maryflips1

Proud Parent
What do most gyms require for girls to move from level 3 to level 4? Our gym requires that the girls get a 36 AA at a meet to progress to level 4. Is this about right or harder than most gyms? Most of the girls on the team are struggling to get this and it seems to be causing stress for both the girls and the parents. Thanks!

Our gym does not require any particular score above the USAG minimum mobility score to move up. Gymnasts simply need to have the skills needed to safely compete the next level. Personally, I don't think high scores at L3 mean much -- except that the gymnast is good at L3. In other words, L3 scores are (in my opinion only) not necessarily a predictor of success at Level 4 or long term in this sport. So I guess I'm not a fan of gym-imposed minimum scores, especially one as high as 36AA at L3! I can see where this would cause stress. Many little ones are not ready at L3 to put everything together for big scores.

I don't think it matters whether a gym has a mobility score higher than the USAG mobility score, or it doesn't. What matters is that the parents and gymnasts understand a gym's philosophy about how it makes mobility determinations as well as other choices and (most importantly) that the parents & gymnast agree with the philosophy of the gym they attend.

I agree with @CLgym that a big score in Level 3 indicates the gymnast is good at Level 3 (and possibly little else to be known via the score), but at the same time I do think scores and mobility can give valuable information about whether or not a particular gym is (or is not) a good match for a particular family.

Personally, I wouldn't want my child to attend a gym where the compulsory scores on team were very high and the optional scores for team decrease dramatically (or even just steadily as gymnasts move up toward Level 10). That would indicate a gym whose priorities don't match those of my child or our family. But that same gym might be a perfect fit for another family, depending on the reason for the score decline (don't have a big optional team, gym doesn't go higher than Level 7/8 usually, etc, etc). If your child probably won't move past compulsories, attending a gym with a super high scoring compulsory team might be exactly what a family/gymnast wants.

It really depends on the gym. Some have no firm requirements, looking at the individual gymnasts to determine if they are ready to move up. Some require that the gymnast has all the skills for the next level. Some require a certain score at the present level. Others do a combination of these. Having seen this discussion several times here, it does appear that a score of 36 and a certain percentage of skills for the next level is pretty common for many gyms. It shows the gymnasts have mastered the skills to do well in competition and that they are ready for the next level (having most of the next level skills).

Our gym used the 36 at at least one meet (ie they don't take the high scores on each event through the season, must be accomplished in one meet) and having all the level 4 skills in some sort of working form by the arbitrary testing date (usually late May testing for September level 4 season). That said, I've never seen then not move a kid who came close to the 36 and got all the skills on time, so it is somewhat flexible.

We've not been at a gym that had a solid policy of a score in any level to move up. Just because a kid has a 36 in L3 doesn't mean they're going to be successful in L4. Both of the gyms we've been at move up if they have skills or are showing they will be ready in time to compete and can compete safely.

Our gym does not have a set score. I will say they tend to move kids up to level 3 before they have all the skills and let them be there for two years unless they are getting in the 35/36 range. But if a second year level 3 hasnt hit a certain score and they believe they will have level 4 skills before the season they will move them up. They announce move ups till 2-3 months before the new season starts (we usually find out in August and the season starts November/December).

All that being said I dont really like when gyms have an arbitrary move up score or you have to hav X skill which isnt technically required BUT at least you know up front what you have to do. It would be frustrating to think your child is moving up and then they give you some arbitrary number at the end of the season when you didnt even know that was a requirement.

Ours does not require any minimum score to move from level to level. It's based on whether they have the skills or can acquire the skills by Meet season. The only time they don't move up based on scores is when the minimum mobility score has not been achieved--and there is none for level 3 to 4.

I will echo what others have said: it’s all over the place. I know of gyms who require up to a 38 average to move up (no, that’s not a typo) and gyms who have no set score. Our gym has no actual score requirements but they do provide move up guidelines in the handbook and it’s based on such things as work ethic, coachability, handling fear, physical abilities, and skills. I will also agree that mostly it’s important that gymnasts and parents are aware of their gym’s requirements and philosophy at the beginning because it will decreased frustration and allow them to choose a gym that fits their needs. We have several gyms around here that require 2 years of level 3 or 4 for everyone no matter how well the child did the first year. There is no way I would be happy with my kid repeating level 4 when she scored almost 38s the first year and was a multi event state champion so we wouldn’t go to those gyms. The girls and parents at those gyms seem perfectly happy though.

I don't think it matters whether a gym has a mobility score higher than the USAG mobility score, or it doesn't. What matters is that the parents and gymnasts understand a gym's philosophy about how it makes mobility determinations as well as other choices and (most importantly) that the parents & gymnast agree with the philosophy of the gym they attend.

I agree with @CLgym that a big score in Level 3 indicates the gymnast is good at Level 3 (and possibly little else to be known via the score), but at the same time I do think scores and mobility can give valuable information about whether or not a particular gym is (or is not) a good match for a particular family.

Personally, I wouldn't want my child to attend a gym where the compulsory scores on team were very high and the optional scores for team decrease dramatically (or even just steadily as gymnasts move up toward Level 10). That would indicate a gym whose priorities don't match those of my child or our family. But that same gym might be a perfect fit for another family, depending on the reason for the score decline (don't have a big optional team, gym doesn't go higher than Level 7/8 usually, etc, etc). If your child probably won't move past compulsories, attending a gym with a super high scoring compulsory team might be exactly what a family/gymnast wants.

My daughter was part of a gym whose compulsory program (Levels 1-3) were great but once entering levels 4-5 and optionals-the scores were bare minimum. That gym focused more on just the USAG minimum score out for those levels. I guess it just depends on what you’re looking for your DD and how it fits for you. I agree with @QueenBee 100%! Some girls may just be good at THAT LEVEL. I feel like some gyms are so quick to move girls up that they lose the importance of teaching proper form, correct technique and skills, etc because they are so focused on just moving girls up. Me personally, I want my DD to learn it the correct way and not to develop bad habits that will be hard to break later on. So is it just a simple 36AA or are they actually paying attention to the girls and their overall performance? I hope they are focusing on performance! :)

USAG does not even require a gymnast compete L3. The first required level is L4.

So from a USAG perspective there is no minimum score. At our gym if by the end of summer you can compete L4 skills safely. You move from L3 to L4. Safely, not perfectly. Safely. We’ve had some rather poor scorers, who were just hitting minimum score outs, who have developed into lovely L7 and L8s

You'll see all sorts of requirements. I require a 9.0 on each event at least once in level 3 (doesn't have to be at the same meet) and being able to do all level 4 skills safely.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back