Parents Mock meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

She did a lovely job didn't she, she must be so excited!!

Little Bog has her mock meet on Sunday, I'll see if I can video a bit.

Looks like she's ready to step up to the bar and show em all how it's done!
Nice video, thanks for sharing. Wishing Bug the best at her competition.

General question about Mock Meets:
What value, or percieved value do they provide?

General question about Mock Meets:
What value, or percieved value do they provide?

It helps the girls get out there in the comp leos, hair done and go thru the motions of waiting to have their name called, saluting, and doing the routines in front of others (parents of the other girls). We did not have judges there--so no scores, but I know that some gyms do.

The level 4's did great that day on bars--everyone hit the dreaded FHC even a girl that had yet to make it in practice.

Barb

I see. Thanks.

It's amazing that at meets (and I guess mock meets) all the things they normally struggle with seem to work themselves out. I mean, in Nastia's class, easily 1/2 of the girls fall backwards when practicing stride circles. At meets... not one does.

She is looking good! I am sure she will have a great L4 season. :D

Our gym does a mock meet before the season starts with judges and scores, and the judges talk to each of the girls after about what they need to work on, etc. I think it really helps them to see that judges are really just people as well. I did hear from our gym owner that from now on, they will have mock meets that actually decide if you are going to compete. They are trying to improve the gym's image I guess, so they will have to have a certain score at the mock meet to compete. I am not sure how that will affect my gymmie. She is already competing in the first 2 meets, so hopefully she will do well enough to finish the season.

I see. Thanks.

It's amazing that at meets (and I guess mock meets) all the things they normally struggle with seem to work themselves out. I mean, in Nastia's class, easily 1/2 of the girls fall backwards when practicing stride circles. At meets... not one does.

It's called adrenaline :D

I did hear from our gym owner that from now on, they will have mock meets that actually decide if you are going to compete. They are trying to improve the gym's image I guess.

Maybe it's just me...but I'm REALLY not liking that idea.

The gym's image should be about the quality in training of ALL it's competitive athletes, and not a select few. "coaches pets" and ones that can afford the most training come to mind as being those that will be chosen. :no:

Sorry for the hyjack... that statement just struck a nerve.

Maybe it's just me...but I'm REALLY not liking that idea.

The gym's image should be about the quality in training of ALL it's competitive athletes, and not a select few. "coaches pets" and ones that can afford the most training come to mind as being those that will be chosen. :no:

Sorry for the hyjack... that statement just struck a nerve.

I don't think they mean it that way. Our gym is one of the few in our area that is pretty lax on who gets to be on team, etc. I am sure my DD is a good example of that, she barely got 28s at her first 3 meets. She isn't the best gymnast out there, but she loves competing and loves gymnastics, which should be what is important, but at many gyms, it isn't.

I guess the mock meet/minimum score thing is out the window though because they just moved a whole bunch of girls that don't even have all their skills yet to the competing in spring group, so maybe that plan didn't work out. I am wondering what is going on. On a positive note is that they are doing a mock meet in 2 weeks, no judges, just in house to see how a meet is run for the newer girls, etc.

DD really loves the gym, but right now they are down coaches and there is a lot of standing around time, or doing things with no coach watching (not dangerous stuff, just no corrections, etc) and I am seriously worried that DD will not improve much by the spring and my DH will be upset about it. The only other gym I would consider near us is her old gym and they are very selective there and she would probably not be a L4 there, so can't go there. Hopefully they will get new coaches soon and get them working hard on the details. And one of the newer coaches (though not new to the gym) is not nice and I really dislike her coaching style, she makes girls cry, is rough in how she handles them, etc. Ugh. Maybe moving to another state won't be so bad. LOL.

Sorry to hijack as well.

Last edited:
Bug did great !The mock meets are nice I wished our gym would do more they usually just do the 1 about a month before season starts ,but they do bring judges in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back