Parents Money well spent

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mom2kazkids

Proud Parent
Last week I went ahead and bought my DD a beam (12" high) and mat for the basement. All week she would get on her leo and head down to practice. The first night she struggled to do the level 4 dismount, maybe doing one out of 20 attempts. Yesterday before practice she went down and did 15 in a row, maybe not always holding the handstand 2 seconds, but getting up into it and turning. Last night at practice she was able to do the dismount off the high beam herself, even holding the handstand before turning.

Even her split leap and splint jump have greatly improved in a short time. Her coach was pleasently surprised. Needless to say she has gone from not liking beam to now loving it, that she has all of her level 4 skills. She just needs to learn the routine now, and that they should start doing this summer.

Barb

That is fantastic. We have a floor beam, but are thinking of getting a 12 or 18" one. DD really wants bars. not real sure how we would swing that one :)

We have the floor beam that folds up, but I've been shopping for a 12 or 18" one. We have to clear out the toys from the playroom first! No room for bars in our house :(

I made a beam for my kids! I used a 4X4X12 piece of wood! and added padding then a piece of fake sued on it!! they love it!!

We also made a 4x4x12 beam for our daughter. She used it all the time for new skills to practice at home. It does help when they can do extra practice.

We made a 4 x 4 x 12 beam but found that it started warping in the middle. So, we made a 4 x 6 x 12 beam (still with the 4" side up) and that seems more stable and isn't warping.

Congrats to your DD! We have a 4x8x12 inch beam but I must say that my DD learned her dismount at gym first. She will now practice it at home, but I think the extra fluffy mats at gym made it less scary. I think a beam is probably the best piece of home equipment. That and a pullup bar!

Meg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back