WAG More 6's, less 5's

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Our younger girls who move from Level 4 do a full season of Level 5. If they are in 7th grade or up (and were on the middle school team), they have the option to score out (twice) of Level 5 and then move to Level 6 using their middle school routines.

This year, we are trying to get as many of last year's Level 4s into level 5 (fewer repeaters than usual) so they can get into Optionals before the Compulsory Routine changeovers.
There are a few L4s that have decided to go the Xcel route instead (struggled in L4 and nowhere near ready for L5), so they will compete Xcel Gold if we have a season.

My DD competed a whole season of Level 5 (and I'm grateful for it), then skipped 6- went right to 7. I think the compulsories (while boring for parents to watch - and listen to over and over and over lol) are important for teaching discipline and fundamentals and actually attempt to give everyone a more even playing field. If you just skip to the skills you like, you can miss out on perfecting a basic that will benefit you as part of a harder skill later on.

Tom Koll (the voice on the DVDs/CDs) says the new routines are going to be so good that nobody will want to skip anymore! :) I can’t wait to see them.

I hope so. I have a daughter who will end up competing the new L5. All seems ok except the floor seems vastly different to me with the skills and I have never seen our gym work anything remotely similar to the new front tumbling pass. I wonder what the style for choreography will be for both beam and floor.

The two front handsprings and front tuck (or aerial)? Isn't that the same as the current routine? Or do you mean that they added a cartwheel step in to the front of the back extension roll?

The two front handsprings and front tuck (or aerial)? Isn't that the same as the current routine? Or do you mean that they added a cartwheel step in to the front of the back extension roll?
The way they make it sound in the preview of elements, the pass is:
Two Front handspring step outs, Cartwheel step IN backward roll with straight arms to handstand (all in the same pass), which would explain the second FHS also being a step out.
And considering the L4s will be doing: Power hurdle or one step, Front handspring step out, Cartwheel step IN backward roll with straight arms to handstand as a pass, it makes sense.

Reactions: sce
Oh wow! The way the line breaks were in the document, I assumed they were two passes. Theoretically, none of the elements involved are particularly hard for level. I feel like this is going to look terrible in practice though.

Yes, I was referencing to me the awkward first tumbling pass. To go from current L4 to this will be a learning curve. Once new L4 is competed it’s not much change to add in the extra FHS. I do know in the gym they sometimes do a cartwheel to your bum to work on snapping feet under for BHS so I guess that would be the same feel for entry into back extension roll.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back