More grip questions...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have several grip questions:

1. What is this string going to her buckle?
chalk-bucket.jpg

2. Does the dowel go closer to the tips of your fingers than the finger holes, or closer to your palm than the finger holes?

3. Whats with the rubber bands on the dowels?
620v.jpg

4. What is swiss-style? How are they different?

1. Rubber band. I have them too, but most of the other people I know don't. I didn't start using them until I started doing more advanced releases (I think it was working the catch and kip out of a pak that did it) and my finger holes were getting kind of bigger than I would have liked but I wanted to keep the grips. I hook two rubber bands through my finger holes (I have a weird way of doing it) and then I slide it over the part with holes and hook the buckle. It's hard to explain but it's not really necessary. I wouldn't worry about it unless you start to have problems.

2. I'm not sure I really understand? The dowel is attached to the grip right under the finger holes.

3. I wouldn't like those. Most people seem to take them off when they're attached to the dowel but I have been older since those started popping up and the US Glove Hot Shot grips kind of started it, so maybe it helps for little ones, don't really know. It's there for the same reason as the first picture really, to keep fingers from slipping out of the holes, but I don't like how it's attached to the dowel. I attach mine through the finger holes so it's more on top. You could just cut them off if you don't like them.

4. I don't really know. What kind do your teammates have? I would just what the gym sell honestly unless people seem to not like it or something. Some coaches have dowel requirements, etc, and they can help you choose something good and size them usually.

2. I mean like do you keep it kind of folded around the dowel so its under your finngers closer to the fingertips, or smoothed so its more like under your knuckle.

4. At my old gym we all had reisport, so thats what i got. Then i had to quit and did not have time to completely break them in or really use them much at all. I have to get comfortable with them and break them in at open gym (at a different gym, my old gym doesn't have open gym) and stuff before gymnastics camp in the end of june.

I don't really do anything to it. Once it's on, the dowel is just under where the grip hits on my fingers and then when I grab the bar it just does its own thing I guess. I don't know :) It kind of folds over on top of the bar. I grasp the bar really low on my grips though or do something weird with one of my hands because the stitching on the inner wrist part is always wearing away on one of my grips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back