WAG More lost sponsors for USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm surprised it's taken this long....and with USAG 's recent statement trying to dump any semblance of responsibility (which I understand was a legal maneuver), and that only Steve Penny has been removed, if I were a big sponsor, this certainly wouldn't pass the smell test for me either.

Sadly, money talks and if more sponsors continue to pull out, maybe the powers that be at USAG will get the drift that they need to clean house, period. Decertifying USAG might be what ends up happening down the road if they keep their heads in the sand..

It's about time! I get that it does not help the gymnasts in the short term but unless USAG does some long term damage control they could risk future consequences. The toxic environment was not all Steve Penny's fault and removing just him does not prove to me the culture will change.

There was a culture of not respecting athletes. They were a way to get medals and prestige not individuals who deserved admiration and respect. The loss of sponsorship sends a signal, I hope USAG listens.

I mean, I understand why it’s happening, but agree it’s not good for gymnasts at least. What would happen if USAG went bankrupt?

I’m not sure it would really hurt us...does the USAG really do anthing to help fund/assist its member clubs? The way I understand we (parents and local gyms) are the ones that run all the meets where our kids compete, etc. Some new organization would form and govern stuff like skill values, deductions, requirements, etc. and it might actually be better!

Yeah - knowing now that the USAG really wasn’t doing much in terms of protecting gymnasts from these sexual predators, I can’t really list much that they do for that $50-ish dollars I send them every year. Do they at least make and enforce guidelines for member gym safety? Like if a gym was filled w/ crappy unsafe equipment, would the USAG inspect for that and not let them be a member or host a meet? Maybe they do that.

Of course I could be wrong and they may do a lot for the members and I just don’t realize it.

I sort of understand, but why punish the gymnasts of today over things that happened in the past? People are getting removed, people are going to jail, things are being changed for the better. Pulling out sponsorships only hurts the gymasts of today and tomorow.

I sort of understand, but why punish the gymnasts of today over things that happened in the past? People are getting removed, people are going to jail, things are being changed for the better. Pulling out sponsorships only hurts the gymasts of today and tomorow.

I get the spirit of this statement but I don't think that USAG has done really anything that shows they have "changed for the better" :

1. People are being removed is basically just Nassar and Steve Penny.....removing just those 2 will not change much because the climate and culture is still in place with all the other people in that top echelon....and Klages is gone from MSU but she "retired" but that didn't stop Geddert from hiring her as a temp at his gym, so not really gone.

2. People are going to jail is again Larry Nassar....I guess Marvin Sharp would've gone but he took care of that himself.

3. Things are being changed for the better: the jury is still out on this ...the National Team training center is still secluded deep in the Houston national forest and maybe someone who has a current TOPS kid can chime in, but were parents allowed at the recent TOPS camps or was it the same old same old? Valeri is the top dog now and I don't get the vibe that much will be different with him at the helm ( vs Marta and co) in terms of the culture at the Ranch and in elite gymnastics ( read Ohashi's blog if you think it will...) . The National team training center should be moved to a more accessible location with a new vision going forward....put it in Indy near USAG headquarters, and monitor it.

Money talks in USAG and they've done a good job of increasing revenues with the exploding Xcel programs and big sponsors like P&G and VISA in the past but if I'm a big corporate sponsor, USAG has done zip to convince me to keep throwing money at them while nothing really changes, and a sex scandal , especially with kids, isn't a big selling point for companies. Yes there's the Safe Sport initiative and Nassar and Penny are gone but there's not enough change at the top to think it will actually take hold. And there needs to be more transparency in how they operate moving forward.

Sponsorship isn't necessary for USAG to continue to operate but money is one of the things they understand so if it takes pulling money from them to get change going, then so be it. Our kids deserve a sport that puts their safety first, period.

3. Things are being changed for the better: the jury is still out on this ...the National Team training center is still secluded deep in the Houston national forest and maybe someone who has a current TOPS kid can chime in, but were parents allowed at the recent TOPS camps or was it the same old same old? Valeri is the top dog now and I don't get the vibe that much will be different with him at the helm ( vs Marta and co) in terms of the culture at the Ranch and in elite gymnastics ( read Ohashi's blog if you think it will...) . The National team training center should be moved to a more accessible location with a new vision going forward....put it in Indy near USAG headquarters, and monitor it.

Regarding this, I could have sworn I read something that said that this (possibly moving to another location, ie Indy) was under evaluation. I'll have to see if I can find where that was.

*edit - found it. https://www.flogymnastics.com/artic...-adopted-by-usa-gymnastics-board-of-directors

The thing about this is - USAG is like a ship. It's not going to turn on a dime, much like any large organization. Decisions are not going to be made and implemented overnight. I know all want this done yesterday, but honestly I do think that they are attempting to turn.

Hershey's deal expires at the end of this year. Under Armor is ending its sponsorship early, not just letting it expire. That makes a statement.

Does GK Elite still have an agreement with USAG?

Last edited:
This is sort of my point. By ESPN pulling out, the much-fought-for TV coverage that the gymnasts are finally getting will end, and these amazing athletes will be the ones who suffer ultimately.
I haven’t read anywhere that NBC is pulling out, and I don’t think that ESPN is a current sponsor of USAG.

So they will have to get new warm ups quickly but they can keep the Rio leotards.

It would create an interesting dynamic if the sponsors that are pulling out would
convene a panel of abuse victims to generate a prioritized list of specific recommendations of changes
for USAG to make before the sponsor(s) would re-institute their funding.

Creates a win-win situation:

Athletes would be safer.

Victims would have a voice.
“Nobody is listening” could be partially changed via corporate sponsors facilitating
listening, feedback, and change.​

Sponsors would help bring about positive change by empowering victims.
As a result, their brand's image is helped by:
“We care deeply about victims of abuse and are part of the solution.”

USAG could / would / should be safer for athletes, more responsive, and stronger as a result.
Sponsors: Your move.

Sponsors: Your move.

Except now they are ex-sponsors and want to distance themselves as far as possible from the debacle of USAG.....

Corporate sponsors have responsibilities to their share holders and their bottom line....they are ridding themselves of an organization with hundreds of sex abuse victims coming forward and the organization's response is to say "it wasn't our duty to inform XYZ " that Nassar was a predator...they are running like the wind, and not looking back.

It would be nice if they got involved in the rehab of USAG, but again, if I'm a big corporate sponsor and USAG doesn't even really seem to commit to change in a big way, then neither am I....this is USAG 's mess to clean up and rehab.

Hi. Can you help me understand in what way the gymnasts will be punished? Initially, I was thinking that too, but then I can't quantify exactly how they would be penalized. Are you referring to the elite program or JO? I would like to know what USAG actually do for JO program. I am thinking they put on the regional and national meets, maybe some camps. They write the rules and codes too. But what services do you think would go away for the JO program ?

Thanks.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back