Parents More Score Guessing

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Empowered

Proud Parent
I am only posting this because I just want to see where my brain stands in terms of evaluating my daughter. I know the score I called when she dismounted the bars and when the score flashed I immediately said, "well that's why I am not a judge".

Just curious to have some extra sets of eyes tell me what they see here.

This is an 8 year old L5 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNzJlaa8CSo)

I would say mid 8's. The tap swings is where I think some deduction came in. Her connections and casts were great I thought. SHe should have a great season

Plus, she took an extra swing before her squat-on on the lower bar. Those tap swings can be killers if the back-swing portion of them doesn't go high enough.

8.0?

Not getting to horiz on tap swings, we call it loosy-goosy when their legs seems to move with them on the swings instead of being controlled, bent arm during kip. She looks super strong! I know this doesn't make sense but I always deduct .1 for everything I see and then add a point for the stuff I don't see and my scores somehow end up close. ;)

My dd did Level 5 last year so I'm reasonably familiar with this routine. I would guess somewhere around 8.5. It's hard to tell from the angle, but she might not be high enough on her casts. She has flexed feet and bent knees on the front hip and for sure is getting dinged on the tap swings not being high enough.

Here's what I got:
arm bend on kip .1
knees bent on front hip .2
arm bend on front hip .1
arch on low bar cast .1
feet flexed throughout first half .2
high bar cast height .1
arch on high bar cast .1
hieght of first tap .1
height of second tap .2
hips off bar early on underswing .1
head out on underswing .1
hieght of dismount .1
so...8.5
was I close?
she has nice flow and good casts, just getting a lot of little form deductions

This is why I HATE gymnastics judging! I will never understand what the heck they are looking at and how scores can vary so insanely. I saw what a lot of you saw, which was form deductions all over the place and little body position errors. I just sat there going tenth, tenth, tenth... obvious, they have to take it.

When she dismounted I said 8.5 to 8.6. The scoring was pretty tough in her session and she's had 8.875 and 8.825 at her first two meets and this routine looked much the same but with a step on the dismount.

They scored her this day with a 9.275. I almost fell off my chair.

She was in a very old session with 64 girls (there were only 6 girls younger than her). She scored T11th overall in the session and T3rd in her age group.

The judges must have looked down... a lot... Or maybe they just really liked her hairdo which is about all I contribute to this gymnastics business ;)

Good for her! Most of her deductions are the kind that can range from .05 to .3 depending on how bad, so she must have had judges today that lean more towards taking only .05 for relatively small deductions. Glad to see she got rewarded for her power and casts.

OK, I would have guessed a 9 max. Yes, 9.2+ is way generous. Was the scoring consistent? And, was she one of the last ones up on bars of all rotations?

I hear what your saying, and I have to say there have been some meets where girls are falling on their butts and score higher than a girl that did a fairly clean routine and I'm like ok what the heck!!
However there are some judges that are more generous than others. there are some really tough judges and always take the max they can. Judges are only human too and they can not see or miss some of the deductions as they are doing the scores too. They don't have the benifit of video replay to see everything like we see on Youtube.

And although they wont admit it I feel there are judges that seem to be harder on some girls than on others and have their favorites (your usual top girls) and let some things slide.

Unfortunatly that is the sport and there really isn't any way around it.

I came in late on this one but had a 9.2 in my head, which was mostly looseness and minor form issues .05 on feet, .05-.1 leg seperation. The BIG ones in level 5 are height of casts and tap swings. Tap swing height looked good to me, 1st cast looked horizontal, high bar cast maybe .1

Nice routine and if she TIGHTENS it up that score will go up. So many level 5's cast right exactly to horizontal... I like to see them aim HIGH, don't let the judges wonder was it or wasn't it!

I would have thought like 8.75 with a few form breaks and separation in legs on tap and high bar cast not quite horizontal but great strong routine and great score.

This is why I HATE gymnastics judging! I will never understand what the heck they are looking at and how scores can vary so insanely. I saw what a lot of you saw, which was form deductions all over the place and little body position errors. I just sat there going tenth, tenth, tenth... obvious, they have to take it.

When she dismounted I said 8.5 to 8.6. The scoring was pretty tough in her session and she's had 8.875 and 8.825 at her first two meets and this routine looked much the same but with a step on the dismount.

They scored her this day with a 9.275. I almost fell off my chair.

She was in a very old session with 64 girls (there were only 6 girls younger than her). She scored T11th overall in the session and T3rd in her age group.

The judges must have looked down... a lot... Or maybe they just really liked her hairdo which is about all I contribute to this gymnastics business ;)

Yeah, that's much higher than I would expect, but don't look a gift horse in the mouth--think of how many times she'll get lower than she should and be happy LOL!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back