More suspensions

Did ChalkBucket help you?... help us too.

If you can't help financially... tell a friend about us!

amiandjim

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Apr 18, 2015
Country
USA
I was just coming to post this. Obviously, it’s a little close to home on this site because one of the coaches is/was a frequent contributor who always seemed to be a very caring, supportive coach. I am NOT saying I do not believe those who filed complaints are not telling the truth, because clearly, I don’t have firsthand knowledge, and people can always surprise you. I truly hope for all involved that the full truth is revealed. I will say I find the Safesport process a bit flawed in that I don’t believe someone should be suspended without knowing the exact allegations against him or her.

LJL07

Proud Parent
Jan 27, 2014
Country
USA
There are really no details in the article. It appears as though usag safesport is jumping on complaints now with all of the athletes coming forward. Two years ago they couldn’t be bothered to do a thing.

doublestrike

Proud Parent
Jun 16, 2018
Country
USA
There must be some teeth to the allegations for suspensions though and more than one gymnast. I know investigators were questioning gymnasts in SoCal this summer and heard of another gym they were investigating and they are not suspended.

Reactions: sce and Jenny

Jenny

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Sep 17, 2012
I was just coming to post this. Obviously, it’s a little close to home on this site because one of the coaches is/was a frequent contributor who always seemed to be a very caring, supportive coach. I am NOT saying I do not believe those who filed complaints are not telling the truth, because clearly, I don’t have firsthand knowledge, and people can always surprise you. I truly hope for all involved that the full truth is revealed. I will say I find the Safesport process a bit flawed in that I don’t believe someone should be suspended without knowing the exact allegations against him or her.
I'm sure those suspended know the allegations.
I think it is good they are acting on complaints now. They should have done so before.

raenndrops

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Oct 24, 2009
The 'Wood, Ohio
Country
USA
There must be some teeth to the allegations for suspensions though and more than one gymnast. I know investigators were questioning gymnasts in SoCal this summer and heard of another gym they were investigating and they are not suspended.
"According to seven confidential formal complaints filed with USA Gymnastics, emails, letters obtained by SCNG and interviews with 12 Azarian gymnasts and parents, USA Gymnastics has received multiple formal complaints" "of physical, verbal and emotional abuse against the coaches". <--- I combined parts of 2 sentences in the article to come up with this sentence.

I think it is good they are acting on complaints now. They should have done so before.
In the article, he said he was not made aware of the allegations and I think the accused should be told what they are being accused of.
I do agree that it is good that they are acting on the complaints now. And I think they should have been more proactive and acted on complaints as they came in (regarding complaints in other cases that were made in 2016 or earlier and weren't acted on until last year or this year).

Reactions: sce

amiandjim

Former Gymnast
Proud Parent
Apr 18, 2015
Country
USA
It’s clearly stated in the article they do not know the allegations, and that isn’t the first time I’ve heard that about a coach that is suspended. I agree they should act on complaints, absolutely, but they should also inform those suspended exactly what the allegations are and they should attempt to speed the entire process up.

LJL07

Proud Parent
Jan 27, 2014
Country
USA
I’ve heard what the complaints are about, it’s swirling among the gymnasts and parents. They likely know too.
Yes, I’m not sure I believe the coaches don’t know. When we spoke with an investigator with safesport, we were told that the investigator has to let the coach in question know what the complaint alleges. So if these coaches were not told, then that suggests continued problems with the USAG safe sport process. The fact that Mark Busby is still the contracted attorney handling All of this after the pretty significant mismanagement of complaints filed in past years doesn’t give me a heck of a lot of confidence in USAG safe sport.

wandrewsjr

Coach
Proud Parent
Sep 4, 2009
Country
USA
I know nothing about this situation, but I do know quite a few coaches who “retired“ from coaching a few months ago to other jobs. The Covid 19 shut downs pushed many into different careers.

Reactions: Aero and Rebel

gymisforeveryone

Coach
Former Gymnast
Proud Relative
Judge
Nov 16, 2012
I'm shocked to see this active CB member on the list! I've been following all of this from Europe and I feel like every coach I knew by name (excep Aimee Boorman) is now under investigation or at least mentioned by name on gymnast alliance Instagram or Twitter posts. Many of those coaches were highly respected even here in Europe.

In my country there has not been suspensions or social media posts about coaches in WAG, but I think it's only matter of time when the first case occurs. There has been cases in RG and AGG.

doublestrike

Proud Parent
Jun 16, 2018
Country
USA
I'm shocked to see this active CB member on the list! I've been following all of this from Europe and I feel like every coach I knew by name (excep Aimee Boorman) is now under investigation or at least mentioned by name on gymnast alliance Instagram or Twitter posts. Many of those coaches were highly respected even here in Europe.

In my country there has not been suspensions or social media posts about coaches in WAG, but I think it's only matter of time when the first case occurs. There has been cases in RG and AGG.
[/QUOT
What’s interesting about this case is that it’s not an elite gym, it’s a good JO gym and the issues involve favoritism, holding gymnasts back and not others, not furthering a gymnasts cause but doing so for others, which could be a case for bullying and hindering college prospects. I never thought of these issues in a SafeSport context because it’s not a MLT or TD level. I know of one set of facts that would make me livid if it involved my gymnast, but I don’t know if it’s part of the investigation. If it is, I believe the suspension will stand.

Puff

Aug 16, 2014
Country
USA
The Azarians are good people, and there have been several and still are a few kind and supportive coaches there. But one of those three coaches is the reason why numerous athletes have quit or left that gym over the years.

ldw4mlo

Proud Parent
Feb 13, 2015
Country
USA
The Azarians are good people, and there have been several and still are a few kind and supportive coaches there. But one of those three coaches is the reason why numerous athletes have quit or left that gym over the years.
Yet 3 coaches named

John

Proud Parent
May 5, 2017
Country
USA
I have had my problems with him here on the Chalkbucket and I have always felt his true attitude was to bully. My daughter's team competed in Vegas early this year, end of last season, he was there coaching his team. I watched him closely during the meet and to me he was not who he wanted everyone here to believe he was.

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Fan
Feb 6, 2014
Twin Cities
Country
USA
@John, I have always felt a bit at odds here. That’s the second popular and respected CB coach that I never got along with who has now come to light with issues. I always assumed it was a weird intersection of my having a complex because my kid was not the type of gymnast either coach would give a second of time or thought to, and that they both came off more aggressive in their opinions (as always right) than I liked. Most people seemed to respect them enough that I questioned myself and my intuition.. and that’s kinda how it goes in gymnastics both writ large and small, eh?

John

Proud Parent
May 5, 2017
Country
USA
I would like to add a few things.

In the article I would have hoped that all the coaches would have apologized. Their statement could have been I do not know what I've done to these gymnasts but whatever I have done that was interpreted as wrong I am sorry and I apologize.

Coaches have a tough job just as managers and parents do. I feel as a manager of people and a parent I tend to get lost and forget that every person as their own story. That story determines how each person will react and interpret the interactions with others. Simply put one method does not work for everyone.

John

Proud Parent
May 5, 2017
Country
USA
@MILgymFAM I could not agree with you more. You took the thoughts right from my head. He had some great posts and thoughts but I always felt he had a closed mind. Watching him at the meet was an eye opening experience.

Thank you for supporting our sponsors Energym Music & Norberts!