WAG Most embarrassing/scariest moment during a meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

what was your most embarrassing/scariest moment during a meet?

One time at a meet I was doing my beam dismount, and my foot slipped, but i stuck it!! that was scary!

I was at a big meet and I was competing in the championship division so it was 9s and 10s so a lot of the lower level kids came to watch. Huge meet. Anyway I was up on beam last out of everyone. I get up on the beam and the first thing that I do is a back handspring back tuck. My back tuck completely misses the beam and I landed on my back under the beam. So after that I just want to finish as fast as possible and get off of the beam. I do some more skills successfully but when I get to my switch leap, I completely straddle the beam. I got back up and dismounted and I was actually laughing really hard but it was mortifying because so many people were watching me and I was supposed to be good. I think I got a 7 something on that routine haha.

I was doing a sole circle dismount off high bar and missed my left foot...it looked awful funny! :)

Sent from my iPod touch using ChalkBucket mobile app :)

I watched lots of new Level 4s' arms give out during BO-BHSs early in the season last year. Several landed on their head. Luckily, none were hurt.

Scariest thing I've seen was at a combined L9/L6 session ( strange combo) and one of the L9 went to do a RO BT dismount, missed her foot completely on the RO landing and just forced the BT. She somehow made it around and landed back on her heels and fell but at least she didn't land on her head!

Coaching:
-funny (because the kid laughed too): a level 4 artistic gymnast got a bit enthusiastic on the beam mount & kind of jumped over it. Runner up: a 5 who probably shouldnt have been a 5 had a block on vault but program director insisted on attempting anyway. HEAVY spot. she jumped up all tight, she was clearly going to go back down unless she felt a spot, I think she was in a handstand on the table for a solid 20 seconds. *facepalm*

Scary: We had a kid competing her cody for the first time. In warmups she decided that she didn't NEED to go high enough to actually do it, oh god I thought she was going to pull straight to her head (she pulled to doggy drop, baaaaaaaarely. DO NOT DO THAT GO UP THANK YOU).

As an athlete:
Funny: Oh I was the champion of making up routines as I went along. But probably on tumbling when I decided that I didnt need speed on backhandsprings out of whips meh whatever. SLOWEST HANDSPRINGS EVER I don't even. The tuck out of them was high enough but it wasn't good. Even the judges were giggling.

Scary: The mats were stripey. I tumbled fast. I have neurological issues with flashing stuff. Ummm that was a bad day. Runner up: Doing a meet without corrective lenses. I did okay, but it was terrifying for me bc I could only tell where I was aiming bc of contrast...

Scary: At 7, my gymmie was at level 4 sectionals meet. On beam, did straight jump, tuck jump in which her left foot missed the beam coming down, fell backwards on her but on the beam then off the beam on her head. Mom panic, gymmie got up got back on the beam and finished her routine, ended up getting an 8.7.

Funny: The following year, gymmie was repeating level 4, after a year of transition; gym got bought out, her HC went with the new gym then was forced to resign so she lost her fav coach, she went to her first meet with the new team/coach. Gets up on beam, starts out fine, turn; step step; leap, turn and she stepped back out of the turn. What does every level 4 gymnast do after they step back out of a turn on beam? Why a leap of course! So she did another leap, turn then realized that she screwed up. (By this time I'm laughing, she can do level 4 beam routines in her sleep). She shook her head, did the last half of the routine, completely missing a the two jumps. Dismounted, missed the first one, repeated it; missed again. Then stormed off, new coach had to remind her to go back and salute.

At my provincial qualifier I totally missed the board on my vault and landed on my back twice in a row! I was so embarrassed cause all my family came to watch me!

At a meet? Well once I was going for a backwalkover backwalkover on beam. I completely missed my feet on the first one (so I had to redo it), thankfully when I tried again I stayed on! (But very, very wobbly!) then when I tried my second I fell again! That was pretty embarrassing and ended with a low score. (Falls and missed connection)

this one's easy for my. i was in the middle of my floor routine at states, when i was landing the easiest skill in my whole routine. a round-off stag jump. as i landed, both my ankles turned out and i collapsed to the floor. my coach yelled to keep going, even though my body told me otherwise.so i got up, did some sloppy, tear-filled dance, and threw my last tumbling pass, a front-handspring front pike, which i managed to stick. i then finished my routine, and as i went to salute, i collapsed and had to be carried away. it turns out i had sprained my left ankle, and the worst part was that i still got a 9.0 and never got to vault :|

Last year one of the girls on our local high school team left out the entire second half of her beam routine. She dismounted the beam and had a look of total incredulity on her face that she forgot her acro flight series and at least one other pass. She is so good though that she still managed to score quite high.

I once said sh*t right during my floor routine. Not sure if the judges heard it, but my best friend did and she was laughing her head off.

At a meet last summer bars were first, and I couldn't do my pullover to save my life! I tried like, 3 times before finally jumping up on the bar(mind you, it's a skill I have solidly, and I wasn't missing it in warm ups....I had the bar lower than it was during warm ups, but whatevs. ). Then I missed my back hip circle! And swore. The judges were pretty far away though, so they didn't hear it lol. Then during my beam routine, I fell off 3 times. By the third time, I just started laughing, cause I fell on a straight jump

My goodness I have a lot!

Funny: Once on beam at my high school meet, I mounted on the wrong side so I didn't know what to do. I had to make up the entire routine and ended up getting the best score I had ever gotten on beam! I didn't even stick my dismount...

Also funny: I was in the corner of the floor to get ready for my last tumbling pass. My nose was running and I didn't want the judges to see me wipe my nose! So, I turned into my arm and tried to wipe it without them seeing. After I finished, my coaches and teammates were all laughing and said the judges laughed too!

Embarrassing (and infuriating) : I was at my first state competition (this year because I just started) and my last tumbling pass was a RO back extension roll. I was doing so well, I felt so great but then, I fell straight on my butt during the roll. It was awful. Now that I look back, it's pretty funny. in that moment, it felt like my life was over!

Wow umm.. Well I was at a meet and I was doing bars. I went to do a swing through and go up and around but instead I ended up doing a swing through into the crowd! The bars were really close to the crowd and I landed at one of my gym friends grandmas feet! I got so embarrassed I ran out of the meet and went strait to my mums car! My mum dad and coach had to come out and get me!

I was getting ready to do my first skill on trampoline (double back) I had to pee but had no time to go started to jump and started peeing a little on each bounce then started thinking about falling on my head. Pee,bad thoughts,pee,bad thoughts. I ended up stopping then starting again doing 3 skills stopping and getting down. Worst meet ever! Kind of funny now.

Embarrassing: I was on floor and right after my first tumbling pass, I got a wedgie. It was the Mother of all wedgies! I didn't dare pick it, yet I was so mortified. It kind of hurt and even chaffed a little (comp leo had the tightest elastics). :rolleyes:

Scary: I never had a large mess up on while competing on an apparatus. Lots of scary ones during warm up! I remember once on vault, warming up, I took off too close to the vault which resulted in a bellyflop onto the table and then a dive into the mat. Must have been a bit scary for my coach too, as she was spotting and nearly dived into the landing mat herself, trying to stop me!

Plain old stomach drop moment: When we found out that we had to use a beat board to vault instead of a mini-tramp. Having not vaulted much at all on a beat board at that time, and barely making it over with a mini-tramp...It was scary to be honest!! Made it over, with straddled legs and staying on the vaulting table long enough to have a picnic though. :p

Scary: At 7, my gymmie was at level 4 sectionals meet. On beam, did straight jump, tuck jump in which her left foot missed the beam coming down, fell backwards on her but on the beam then off the beam on her head. Mom panic, gymmie got up got back on the beam and finished her routine, ended up getting an 8.7.

Funny: The following year, gymmie was repeating level 4, after a year of transition; gym got bought out, her HC went with the new gym then was forced to resign so she lost her fav coach, she went to her first meet with the new team/coach. Gets up on beam, starts out fine, turn; step step; leap, turn and she stepped back out of the turn. What does every level 4 gymnast do after they step back out of a turn on beam? Why a leap of course! So she did another leap, turn then realized that she screwed up. (By this time I'm laughing, she can do level 4 beam routines in her sleep). She shook her head, did the last half of the routine, completely missing a the two jumps. Dismounted, missed the first one, repeated it; missed again. Then stormed off, new coach had to remind her to go back and salute.
What was her score?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back