Mother of a 10 yr old Level 8....to be elite or no?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello,

I found chalk bucket by surfing the web trying to learn more about gymnastics. I personally never did gymnastics so this is all new to me. My daughter has done gym for about two and a half years. She skipped level 4, did a year of 5, did two meets of 6 in the spring to qualify, and then did level 7 last season.

Her coaches have asked us repeatedly to consider letting her go the elite track. I believe they are great coaches (they are previous WOGA Elite Gymnasts) but just trying to sort out if it’s the right decision for our family.

My daughter truly loves gym. She lives eats and breathes gymnastics. She is currently training level 8 (has about half of the level 8 skills, and all level 9 beam skills) for next season and is 10 years old (would be 11 for next season). I am wondering though:

1. is she already too old?
2. her gym strongly encourages home school, should we do it?
Note- we cannot get a PE exemption as she still would be in elementary school.
3. How do you know if you really should do the elite path or if your child has what it takes?

Thanks for all the advice:p

There's a lot more to the elite road than just being young and talented. My daughter is trying the path and it's a lot harder than I think she ever imagined. Your daughter is not too old. Mine is 12 and just finished her first L10 season.

In order to get all the training hours in, you will probably have to do some sort of home schooling. You may want to see what the training schedule is and whether you can fit school in. My daughter goes to school in the mornings and is homeschooled in the one core subject she doesn't get at school. It's hard. She's up late most nights doing homework and is currently behind in her homeschooled subject. She'll be working on that subject in the summer.

In terms of the last question, you don't. You have to make the decision based on what your family can handle-no vacations, everything revolves around the gym schedule, it's expensive and you don't see your child a lot of the time. If you have other children, you have to work their schedules in somehow. If this doesn't work for your family, you may want to pass on this path.

In terms of whether your daughter has it, only time will tell. This has always been my daughter's passion. However, she is finding that the path is hard. Now nothing is good enough, her coaches push her to develop bigger, more perfect skills. They are more critical of everything. That's hard when you've always been one of the best. She's had a few meltdowns but has come to the realization that she doesn't want to step off of the path either. As a parent, I'm watching her struggle with these issues as well as hitting puberty. Oh yes, that adds another whole dimension as their mental processes and bodies change. But until she wants to step off the path, I told her that we would support her. She may never make elite but hopefully, when she looks back at her gymnastics career she won't have any regrets.

Other equally talented kids have had no interest in pursuing the elite path. What does your daughter want? What is she willing to give up for it? The elite path is not the only answer, a lot of gymnasts love the NCAA path.

She says she 100% wants to do elite....however understanding she is 10 I dont know if she really understands what that means at the end of the day. I do understand the melt downs, she did go trough a bit of a hard time last summer. I think it was due to going from level 4 to 7 in about a year, it was all very fast. Once she pulled through it she has been great since.

As for puberty, we ALL bests are off then. I dont even want to think about her hitting that stage :)

In reagards to regrets that is what everyone is telling us. To let her go for it so she wont look back one day and wished we had let her go for elite. She begs us every day to let her try it. I just worry as a mom that she will have to give up so much.

Even if she now says that she wants to do it, there will be a time when she doesn't. Mine has been going through that-like I said-puberty! She realizes exactly what she has given up, time with friends, time to just go shopping, being able to do all the fun stuff that pre-teens/teens do. So, on the flip side, she may end up with regretting that she spent her childhood and adolescence in the gym.

The pressure of school increases in middle school. My daughter isn't content unless she has at least an A average and is happier with an A+. Believe me, it's all her! Even after two years of making accomodations, it's getting harder, not easier. I have no idea how we are going to get through high school!

Someone mentioned the injury factor. It's a big one. The pounding that their bodies take is huge! Up until she started on pre-elite training she had been injury free. Now, it seems like I have the sports med doc on speed dial.

I know it sounds super exciting. It may be the right path for your daughter. Just consider carefully everything because it's also your life and any other family members. My family has had to make a lot of accomodations to do this. My youngest resents that I spend a lot of time accompanying her sister to meets or driving her to or from the gym. That was a complication I hadn't thought about. So far, we don't regret them but there are days when I wonder why we are doing this.

Good luck with your decision!

B&Msmom I feel we are in similar boats (lol with many Cb friends on board). My dd is not elite but a young level 8 and muscular so injuries have been part of her path (we have a pt on speed dial) and puberty is beginning to be added to the mix and it is not fun!!.
Enjoy Watching- I am guessing you and hubby have discussed it along with dd so if family is on board then I say go for it. What is the downside of trying? At least she wont be able to say "what if" down the road.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back