Parents Mounting with the wrong leg on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Danikaez

Proud Parent
Gymnast
My dd is a 5 and a level 2 gymnast. She's right handed but she's a lefty gymnast. At her last competition she mounted with her right leg but did all of her other skills on her left leg. Does anyone know the deduction for this?

Well, usually they end up facing the wrong way which causes some problems, they either turn around or try to cram everything in too small of a space. But without see the routine it's impossible to say. If she simply reversed the skill by mounting from the correct side/end of the beam for a righty, then there's no deduction and her score would just reflect the execution errors.

My daughter starts her L4 floor routine righty, about 40 seconds in adds an extra step and leaps lefty, continues with the turn and BWO lefty, then back to righty for the final pass. Obviously this is not ideal, but everyone I have consulted seems to think it's only 0.05 if it's even noticed. Her coaches have decided for her it's not worth correcting. She does her beam BWO lefty too (but turns righty on beam..sigh...) so they've decided it's the lesser of the evils and hopefully she doesn't have too much time left in compulsories anyway. Since your DD is so young, they may try to correct it? Especially if like gymdog says it causes other issues. Puma Jr's is a fairly smooth transition, so again...risk vs benefit. I'm trusting in her coaches, but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone! Good luck!!!

She did eventually run out of space and had to cram her routine into that tiny space which costed her more deductions than she would have encountered had she mounted the right way.

She did eventually run out of space and had to cram her routine into that tiny space which costed her more deductions than she would have encountered had she mounted the right way.
:( But she's young! They have plenty of time to straighten it out. Good luck!

Reactions: sce
Are you sure she mounted with her right leg, or did she mount with her left leg on the side that a right leg child should have mounted on (the latter tends to happen more esp due to a lefty simply following the child in front of them, who is more likely to be a righty). Either way it's an extremely common problem. Level 2 is for fun and experience :) Cherish the adorable and funny things she does this year - you will both look back on them and laugh for years to come when it gets more serious.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back