Move clubs or not?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MrsL

Proud Parent
Our current gym is just over an hour away on a good day so I have been considering finding somewhere closer - there are a couple within a half hour drive that could be suitable.
But I don't know if moving is a good idea or not? DD is 6 and in a development squad doing 8 hours a week. Any advice would be appreciated.

Without knowing your gym and where you are looking to move, can't really help too much :)

Why did you choose your current gym? Are you, and your children, happy there?

Is your current gym one that caters for all levels from beginners to elite? Have you been told where your child is aiming?

I don't know if you know but the UK has an "elite path" for gymnasts identified at a young age and fast tracked with Elite, national squad etc in mind. If your child is one of those, you need to be at a high performance gym that produced high level gymnasts.

If you/your child have no such lofty ambition, then personally I'd find a smaller gym with good, but not elite, gymnasts.

If it makes life easier then it's worth considering. Why not go along to the other clubs to get a feel for them/speak to parents. You could speak to the coaches and ask whether there's a waiting list etc?

It can't harm.

It all depends on the gyms in question your daughter's skill level her commitment to the sport, your commitment to the sport etc etc.

Ooops cross posted,what Faith said.

She is full of ambition and wants to be elite.
They haven't committed to an answer other than that at the moment she is in development and should go on to elite.
It is a large club that caters to elite and in the past has been successful but not so much over the last few years.
We ended up at the club by accident really I put her on waiting lists at a few places and that one came up first. She started rec and was quickly moved into development within a matter of weeks.
She seems happy there, it's just the journey that's causing me issues as she has a younger sister that I have to bring along with me.

Do they have girls doing the compulsory grades, do these girls make nationals each year? Only a few clubs can say yes to that, and often girls travel a long distance to go to them. You need coaches that have success in training elite girls. However, there is a lot to be said for not going down the elite path and doing well at regional grades and keeping the hours down and all the family having a more balanced life. It really isn't fair on the younger sibling we have the same problem, it's getting worse as the kids get older. When they are doing 4+ hour training sessions you can't wait around any more.

However some regions (I am thinking London in particular but also others) do huge hours for the regional pathways too.

Think ahead. She will need 5 times a week the year she turns 9 if not the year before and definitely 4 times a week in a year or so. Can you do that?

Might be worth asking them what the training days and hours are if she is still on the path to elite in 2 years. If you know it won't be doable look for somewhere closer now.

One of the ones I have looked at have girls doing compulsory grades and making the national finals, they are currently making the regional team each year and they have a national champion as well.
They are more of a up and coming club so they don't have the long history that the other club have.
Going forward we can make the hours/days work but it would mean my husband having to make some sacrifices when it comes to work which we would only be willing to do if she was on elite path, at this stage I don't want him to be moving work around to fit in with gym, it's easier for me to be the one doing it all seeing as I am at stay at home mum to our youngest.

It is worth looking at their facebook pages, twitter and Instagram as well as website to get a feel for the atmosphere.

Just be warned that clubs can be very funny about people looking round other clubs, even though you have a very valid reason. They may help you find somewhere closer or they may just ask you to leave when they find out! So it is probably best to be pretty sure before you go and look round. But if you do , look round a few places.

Ask about elite path and also other pathways in case she doesn't stay on the elite path. Get a feel for the coaching . Look at results of all levels of competition from compulsory grades through to regional grades. Try and get a feel for their system.

You need to tell your club that you are finding the drive too long and are looking at more local clubs. They will find probably find out anyway if you look at other clubs. Different coaches look for different types of gymnasts, so it's no guarantee that your DD will be accepted so don't burn your bridges! Some clubs only concentrate on elite which is risky as so few girls make it, others have other options for the development girls such as tumbling or trampolining. We have a large number of development girls but only 2 to 4 will be allowed to do compulsory 5 and even fewer compulsory 4.

You need to tell your club that you are finding the drive too long and are looking at more local clubs. They will find probably find out anyway if you look at other clubs.

They will also be able to tell you if they have a non-compete agreement in place with other clubs which stops the other clubs from accepting gymnasts who have previously trained with them.
I know of at least 3 clubs local to us who have this in place, gymnastics is a small world and the coaches will probably work together on a regional level.

I know my DD's club get a courtesy call if a parent/child has made any contact- so even a phone call to enquire. The new club will call the current one and say little susie's mum enquired today.

This is to keep things completely transparent, so no one can accuse anyone of "poaching" children.

My DD's coach is one of the top in the world. It's very unlikely I'd be able to get anyone to take her on without his permission, so I'd have to discuss it with him first and see if a move is in her best interest. But we're a few years down the line from you :).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back