Parents Movie Recommendation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3LittleGymmies

Proud Parent
My daughter had a sleep over last night and they watched Makenna (for the millionth time!) and I wasn't sure if Stick It was too mature for their age.. so I was searching for something else. I found another gymnastics movie called A 2nd Chance on Amazon to rent. I thought that it was a really good movie! There are English (or Australian?) accents, which the girls loved. There is a VERY barely there boy/girl crush kind of thing.. but nothing major at all. Otherwise, it was a very clean, positive movie. Just thought I would share. :) My daughter is now trying the tricks shown in the movie to fix her bent arms on her kip, haha!

How old is daughter ? Mine got Stick it at aged 7 with the understanding that there were a couple of "naughty words". Its not like she has never heard them before out and about unfortunately, she knows that's not how we speak at home. She adores it.

Good to know. How old were the characters in the movie? Would it be too "babyish" for Tweens/teens do you think? DD was also watching "stick it" from a very young age. My mom bought her a copy for Christmas several years ago. She warned me that all sorts of interesting things pop up if you search online for "stick it movie". ;)

My dd loves Stick it and has also been watching it since she was seven, or maybe early eight. I don't think it's bad - a bit of mild teenage language in a couple of places and of course the girl is very naughty at the start, but pays for it. Refreshingly for a film aimed at young people there's no snogging and the characters are all quite likeable. The moral is quite strong too.

Nadia! Completely innocent and well, old (from 1984) but it was my favorite and is one of DD's favorites. Takes place in Romania when Nadia was young and discovered by Bela on the schoolyard. You can watch the full movie on YouTube.

I am glad to hear that Stick It is not that bad. I think it's PG-13, so I wasn't sure.

A 2nd Chance was not baby'ish at all. The basic story line is that when the coach was a gymnast, her friend was injured and ended up in a wheelchair. The now coach quit gymnastics because her friend couldn't do it anymore. The injured gymnast blamed her friend for her injuries and went on to be a judge. She judged the coach's gymnasts very harshly, but then they "made up" finally in the end and she started judging the girls fairly, which led to them making the national squad. The gymnasts themselves struggled with things like parents not being interested/attending meets, the death of a parent, struggling with skills, etc. The gymnasts are "Level 6" (more like Level 5 in the US it seemed), so it's relatable on that level. There was a very mild, "cute" crush thing, but nothing crazy at all.

^^^^^^^^Oh yes that one too. Not the best quality recording if I recall but it adds atmosphere.

Not entirely innocent though. Doesn't it cover the bit where she is supposedly confined to her room, with a guard, and forced to be on a diet and then drinks bleach. I think dd had switched off (mentally) by that point as Nadia had already fulfilled her dream and the rest is just sawdust!

^^^^^^^^Oh yes that one too. Not the best quality recording if I recall but it adds atmosphere.

Not entirely innocent though. Doesn't it cover the bit where she is supposedly confined to her room, with a guard, and forced to be on a diet and then drinks bleach. I think dd had switched off (mentally) by that point as Nadia had already fulfilled her dream and the rest is just sawdust!
Yes, I guess you're right. Not bad enough to not let her watch it but we do usually turn it off after she gets her 10 at the Olympics, because when she grows up it gets kind of boring for kids.

Campioana / Reach for the Sky

Last edited:
We just watched Nadia and both my girls liked it. I tried finding second chance on YouTube but it wouldn't load correctly... Looks like we will try reach for the sky next!

We just watched Nadia and both my girls liked it. I tried finding second chance on YouTube but it wouldn't load correctly... Looks like we will try reach for the sky next!
What did they think of the "adult Nadia" part of the movie? I think we will have to watch Reach For The Sky as well. It looks like a sweet movie.

They asked a couple of relevant questions about it but didn't seem to disturbed by it ( nor overly interested....) They loved the Paris scene and of course the Olympics but by the adult Nadia their peak attention had faded and though we finished watching it and started it right away again, I got the feeling they were kinda done after the Olympics.
By then they were researching Nadia online and asking questions about other related issues while watching the movie. My girls for sure, I do that all the time!

I know its not gymnastics but all my family adore "The Princess Bride". Its a masterpiece of understated, tongue in cheek, old fashioned fun - pure delight
The Princess Bride is my all time favorite film. I showed it to my two this weekend (they are 6 and nearly 9) - I thought it might be a bit 'old' for the 6 year old but they both loved it to bits (my nearly 9 son thought the bits with Fred Savage as the grandson listening to the story were hilarious!) Truly a masterpiece

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back