WAG Moving from USAIGC to USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

John

Proud Parent
My daughter is ten. She has done gymnastics in USAIGC for five years. She has some very big tricks but is missing the finishing she needs. She has found a new gym and has hit it off with her soon to be new coach.

My question is does anyone have any experience with the testing out process. Her new coaches want her to learn and test out of 4 5 and 6 in early summer test out meets. I would love to hear some thoughts and opinions on what she can expect. I do not want her to be bored. I just want her to get whatever it is she needs from this sport, preferably life lessons and great life long friends.

Reactions: sce
Level 4 and 5 are required; Level 6 is not. Is the plan for her to compete L7? What level did she compete in USAIGC?

Hi- I think she only needs to test out of 4 and 5. Level 6 is not required. Good luck to her!

IGC she competed Gold this year. She has states in a week and then making the switch. Yes the plan is Level 7. She has the skills for L8 on everything but bars. She needs Bars CPR. It's all about what she wants, she dreams big. I am old score sports are for character and lasting memories. I just hope the compulsory stuff doesn't bore her. Coaches think she needs a month. We will see.

She has asked to learn them asap and quickly as she wants to practice with her team.

If she's an IGC Gold, scoring out of L4/5 should not be a problem at all. And the L4 and L5 routines are intentionally very similar, so some kids learn them and score out in the same day (I believe it has to be different sessions). There are some people here whose kids did Xcel until they could score out of L4/5, so it's not an uncommon practice. I believe @cadybearsmommy DD did this?

What everyone else said. She shouldn't be bored. The routines will likely be one and done.

L7 is optional so she will then be back to her own routines

We went from xcel gold to 6 last season. She tested out of 4 in Sept and a week later she tested out of 5. Level 4 testing was a breeze! Something about 5 kicked her butt. Mainly bars.
We still are struggling in bars. But it's doable. We have everything for 7 but giants. So we will stay a 6 again this season.

If she's an IGC Gold, scoring out of L4/5 should not be a problem at all. And the L4 and L5 routines are intentionally very similar, so some kids learn them and score out in the same day (I believe it has to be different sessions). There are some people here whose kids did Xcel until they could score out of L4/5, so it's not an uncommon practice. I believe @cadybearsmommy DD did this?

Yes we did, DD scored out of L4 after her 2nd year of Xcel bronze and then scored out of L5 after Xcel silver. So not back to back like OP's dd but it can definitely be done and she won't need to have the routines perfect, just have them down enough to get the minimum score.

My dd's friend went from Usag level 8 to scoring very well at gold( bar and vault state champ!) so I would think going from usaigc gold- she should easily go to level 8...

DD has successfully tested out of level 4 and 5. DD did it on Saturday Morning. The head of our parent organization was able to make it happen in one meet. She was able to get the head judge and head of USAG in our state to allow this. DD was her own rotation and moved through each event for Level 4. Was required to sit for 30 minutes and have a snack. She then was her own rotation for each event in level 5. She finished both sessions before the meet ended. I am very proud of her. She learned and practiced the routines for just 3 weeks.

34.9 in level 4.
34.75 in level 5.

DD has successfully tested out of level 4 and 5. DD did it on Saturday Morning. The head of our parent organization was able to make it happen in one meet. She was able to get the head judge and head of USAG in our state to allow this. DD was her own rotation and moved through each event for Level 4. Was required to sit for 30 minutes and have a snack. She then was her own rotation for each event in level 5. She finished both sessions before the meet ended. I am very proud of her. She learned and practiced the routines for just 3 weeks.

34.9 in level 4.
34.75 in level 5.
Terrific!
Congrats to her!!!

34.9 in level 4.
34.75 in level 5.
Awesome!!

34.9 in level 4.
34.75 in level 5.
Wow, that is fabulous. Congrats to her!

Original Poster Here. Thought I would give a final update on her first USAG season. I feel after injecting myself into everyone's gymnastic life to hear closure is a nice aspect.

First I want to thank everyone at the chalkbucket for offering such wonderful advice. When I stumbled into this forum I was a gymnastics idiot. Thank you all for such great guidance.

Dani had States Sunday. She did wonderfully. She got fourth in her session/age grouping. 37.275 AA. She had the 16 best score out of 134 level 7 gymnasts. She says off to Level 8.

Thanks again everyone I hope everyone's gymnasts meet their season goals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back