WAG Moving levels

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Karenxo

Proud Parent
Hello, my daughter has been upset lately about moving up levels. She is in xcel platinum for her third year now and has all the skills to move up to diamond.

I’ve talked to the owner quite a bit and we chatted about her moving levels, the owner simply said ‘she was looking into it’.

I don’t want to be that parent but my daughter said all of her friends have moved up while she is left in platinum. She has all the skills for diamond- I don’t understand why she isn’t moving up?

Could be multiple things. There’s only room for a certain number or gymnasts to move up, Coaches not being honest about your gymnasts ability to progress, she may have all the skills in your eyes but coaches might not think to the standard they want, strength wise may not be able to progress past the next stage as of yet, behaviour in the gym. There are so many reasons why. The best thing is to email and ask the coach for a meeting to know why.

I second scheduling a meeting with the coach but I would go in with a list of questions to be prepared. Just asking can she move up or why hasn't she moved up leaves room for many quesitons to still remain after the chat. I would ask

1. What would be needed for her to move up to Platinum? (from specific skills to other things that way you can say she has X, Y, and Z so is there something else that's preventing her from moving up?)
2. What are your goals for my daughter?
3. Do you have a timeline in mind?
4. IF she shows progress by X date would you consider having her move up?
5. Can she train with the higher level group to see if she will be ready by the competition season?
6. I would also let them know your daughters goals. She wants to do this and this and this and have it be as gymnastics related as possible not just she wants to be with friends but that should also be a legit component of it.

Let them know she wants to be a part of this sport and you as a parent want to see her not discouraged. She needs clear and obtainable goals and you want the coaches help in setting realistic ones so she can remain a confident gymnast.

Coaches are people too and I bet they get tired of being asked why can't my kid be placed where they want to be but I feel like they understand and respect if you are just trying to get a better understanding of the path that your kid is on. My DD had to repeat level 3 and I was frustrated had a meeting and asked what thier plan was for her and they said we expect her to repeat three but not 4 and then we test out of 5 for level 6. Once I knew they werent keeping her in compulsories forever (like some gyms in our area do) I was more comfortable with the path she was on and its been working well for her. I hope you get answers that are helpful!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back