Parents Moving on from Artistic Gymnastics

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

3cats

Proud Parent
Well ladies my 11 y/o daughter, who was training level 8, delivered a bombshell a week ago and told me she was done (so done) with the sport of gymnastics. I knew there was a possibility of this season being her last. She had mentioned all summer that she wasn't feeling into it. But to all of a sudden be done is quite the shock.

She had a couple injuries and some questionable coaching that made her lose her confidence and not love the sport the way she used to.

I am sad.

I am excited.

She is super relaxed.

She is ready for her next challenge!

So...she has already enrolled in a tumbling and trampoline program in our area. She is also continuing with golf, which she picked up over the last 6 months. She may try out for cheerleading or marching band next year. And she wants to focus on academics.

Who can argue with that?

I'll still be around here. I wanted to let y'all know how much this board has meant to me as she makes her own way on her gymnastics journey. You've kept me informed and grounded. And it sounds like I'm about to pay attention to T&T a bit more over this next year. :)

Moving on!

Might be right there with you soon. My 11 yo going to compete L8 has expressed similar loss of love for the sport recently.

Good luck to her on her future endeavors!

I think that my 11 yo training L8 is nearing the end of her journey too. In fact, she stayed home from practice today because of a "headache." Must be something about the age/level combo!!

@3cats -- You and your daughter both sound really at peace with the decision. So excited to hear more about her future endeavors!

You have a good perspective! I love that gym is a part of my daughter’s life right now - she is still young enough to believe she will never quit - but I admit I am excited for whatever will come next, and it’s okay when her day comes. A lot of these kids have many other talents as well. In a way they fly in the gym, but in another way, surely it must be that they fly when they leave. There are days I feel sad thinking about when she quits but I have a lot of hope it will be great especially if I make sure to help her maintain other identities along the way. This board has really helped us create a healthy relationship with this sport over the last couple of years.

All of that to say... I don’t know you but I am excited for you and I hope I feel the same as you do when we get there. Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back