Moving on from splitting the beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd split the beam back in June doing split leaps and still is unsure of herself doing beam skills. She used to do tons of cartwheels on the high beam for 2 yrs and was the first in her group to do them.Now she looks like an old lady doing a cartwheel :lol: She looks like she's afraid of falling off now. She can do all he level 4 beam routine the cartwheel and the backwalkover with a standby. All her skills were totally solid. Now she struggles with evrything on beam. How long will it take for her to move on? Any advice??

Split the beam means to land on the beam with one leg either side :eek: of the beam, by accident of course. Very, vary painful and scary too.

I do feel for your DD, that must have been horrible. My 8 year old dd had a bad beam crash in July and she is only just getting over it. She had learned her cartwheel on the high beam and had it solidly, then there was a demo at the camp and in her exitement to show off her new skill she crashed arm and head first on to the beam. She was so embarrassed, in front of all the parents and coaches, that she just carried on as though she was fine, but later when she got to me she showed me a huge bruise and graze. ( I actually caught it on tape, to show Dad!!) SInce then she wouldn't do much on the beam, went back to baby cartwheels with her bum sticking out, I really felt sorry for her as she wanted it badly but was too scared.

Her coach just let it go and said she'll get to it when she is ready, and guess what? This week she got it back and seems okay again.

I suppose with any major trauma, like these, the girls just have to find their confidence again, I am sure gentle encouragement might help too, but they all have their own schedules.

The thing I was taught as a gymnast, and something I feel is best is to get back up and do it again. Doing a lot of repetitions of the skill is the best way to build confidence back up--also to concentrate on all the ones you've done correctly, not the one you fell on (which i completely understand is really hard to do). If one of my girls wrecks I try to make/encourage them to get right back up and do it again--this shows them that they are able to still do it. Sometimes it just takes lots and lots of reps on a lower beam, and in time they will get it back---it'll be in the back of their minds for a while, but she'll bounce back.

Thanks Guys!!!! When it happened her coach had her get back up there after she settled down and explained to her that she needed to get back up there. She did but she shook like crazy the whole time I wish she could get over it and not be so scared :(

She'll get over it in time and by doing more reps of the trick. I'm glad that her coach had her get back up there! Patience and lots of encouragement are excellent ways to support from the sidelines.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back