Parents Moving skills from strap bar to real bar?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
Just wondering how long it usually takes / how hard it is, to transfer skills from strap bar to real bar. We never had a strap bar back when I was a gymnast many many years ago lol. My daughter has been doing giants on straps for months but hasn’t attempted on the real bar yet. She also has her free hip handstand on straps only. I’m not super concerned, we aren’t even competing this year, just curious.

You have to know it is different for everyone. My daughter probably tried it on a strap bar one practice and moved to real bars the day of or the day after. Some never use the strap bar. I really don’t think there is an average time to go from strap to real bars. I think your daughter will definitely make it to real bars in due time.

Strap bar is nice for repetition. I don't for a minute think it's that useful except for... kind-of getting a feel for the technique. The issue with bars is getting the gymnast to feel comfortable holding and swinging. once the confidence/trust of the hands are met... the gymnast should not have any problem with bars. I am more of a fan of pit bar just because you are not letting you hands get lazy. More Swings more confidence.

So to answer your question directly would be to ask the gymnast themselves. Because in the end it is all dependent on their willingness to push through.

totally varies! Good Lord, my older kid was doing giants on strap for like 6 months before she moved to a pit bar and then another month to get to settings. It felt like torture!

I don’t know the answer for my daughter yet, but I know she’s been doing giants on strap for at least 3 or 4 months. I don’t think she’s particularly close to having them on the regular bar. She’s a cautious gymnast for sure!

The strap bar is good to get the tap swing. Shifting hands on the real bar is the difference between the two. Some kids just take time to merge the hand shift and tap swing- fear, timing - some do it instantly.

My kid loves learning skills on the strap bar with the pipe but does say that it is not like the real bar. She does seem to feel that when she does the strap bar using the gloves, it is closer to the real thing since she has to shift her hands more.

For my DD she likes doing Giants on the regular bar better than the strap bar (and I think she has better shapes on the regular bar) i think its helpful for toe to handstand and clear hips to learn when to open up---timing issues. Generally it just varies. Alot of gyms will introduce on the strap bar well before they are neccisarily ready to do it on the real bar so they could spend months (or even a year or more) on the strap bar before they go to the real bar. I think its just to build familiarity and reduce fear for when they are ready to really start working on it but thats just my theory. DD started Giants on the strap bar over a year ago but didnt really start seriously working giants until right before the pandemic shut things down. She has been working them again since she got back and in June and is moving now to the Pit bar on her own (been doing pit bar with a spot for a month or two maybe?)

How long it takes to move to real bar can vary a lot. The coach may want to see a certain shape or technique being done consistently before moving the skills.

Straps are invaluable when used properly. Going from pipe to wood can be a huge ask of the kids, so I use an intermediate step that I have had tremendous results with. Once they can go around with the straps competently, I have them take one strap off and use a PALM GUARD.(please understand a PALM GUARD AND NOT A DOWEL GRIP!) ((Did I emphasize the enough?? If you do not know what to look for, a dowel grip on pipe can result in one of the most horrific injuries in gymnastics.)) We alternate which days will be 'free left' or 'free right' days. When they feel comfortable doing that, we go with both hands in PALM GUARDS with a spot on pipe. The little kids with small hands really benefit from this and love it. Once that looks good, the transfer to wood becomes far less daunting. I've found this system to rapidly and most importantly safely progress the kids.

We don't use the pipe - our girls use wristbands and gloves. The girls say they like it a lot better than the pipe we had at the old gym.

That said, my daughter can do beautiful, beautiful things in straps, but she never seems to be able to move them to a real bar. :confused:

Reactions: sce
We don't use the pipe - our girls use wristbands and gloves. The girls say they like it a lot better than the pipe we had at the old gym.

That said, my daughter can do beautiful, beautiful things in straps, but she never seems to be able to move them to a real bar. :confused:
This is what our girls use also, gloves/wristbands. My daughter is terrified to even try giants on the real bar, but has no issues in straps. Not stressed though, she will get it when she gets it. Especially since we won’t be competing until 2022.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back