Parents Moving to Nashville, Atlanta, or Charlotte (pretty wide variation, I know)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Lving OH for TN

Proud Parent
Hi everyone,
Our family has been given the opportunity to stay with our employer and move to the Southeast - looking at Nashville, Atlanta, or Charlotte - sorry for the wide variation.
Nashville would be great from a monetary aspect, specifically no state income tax, while Georgia and North Carolina do.
That being said, Atlanta and Charlotte offer Hopes and elite training programs.
Our daughter competed in Level 4 for for a couple of years, 1st year 3rd in state, this past season was the state champ. She has been accepted at a couple of programs in OH with HOPES training programs to do the all day training and be homeschooled. Her current gym has her training at Level 7 events (she is almost 10).
We are looking to visit and have them assess her at Georgia Elite, Everest, and Southeastern, but not sure if GAA or any other in Atlanta have a training program for Hopes.
Additionally, we can't find anything in Nashville (or even the Knoxville area) online that states they have a Hopes program (let alone an Elite training program).
Priority 1 would be a good school district for our other 3 kids, Priority 2 would be a gymnastics program. We would prefer middle or East TN due to no state income tax, but will do Atlanta or Charlotte if there are no options in mid or east TN.
So I'm begging for information from Moms and Dads or family who have knowledge...
Please help!

Hi everyone,
Our family has been given the opportunity to stay with our employer and move to the Southeast - looking at Nashville, Atlanta, or Charlotte - sorry for the wide variation.
Nashville would be great from a monetary aspect, specifically no state income tax, while Georgia and North Carolina do.
That being said, Atlanta and Charlotte offer Hopes and elite training programs.
Our daughter competed in Level 4 for for a couple of years, 1st year 3rd in state, this past season was the state champ. She has been accepted at a couple of programs in OH with HOPES training programs to do the all day training and be homeschooled. Her current gym has her training at Level 7 events (she is almost 10).
We are looking to visit and have them assess her at Georgia Elite, Everest, and Southeastern, but not sure if GAA or any other in Atlanta have a training program for Hopes.
Additionally, we can't find anything in Nashville (or even the Knoxville area) online that states they have a Hopes program (let alone an Elite training program).
Priority 1 would be a good school district for our other 3 kids, Priority 2 would be a gymnastics program. We would prefer middle or East TN due to no state income tax, but will do Atlanta or Charlotte if there are no options in mid or east TN.
So I'm begging for information from Moms and Dads or family who have knowledge...
Please help!

I don't think GAA trains HOPES anymore. I would suggest staying open to programs that have really solid upper level optionals programs but no HOPES. Just because a gym trains HOPES, it doesn't mean that it's successful or a better program. I would also look at ASG and Infinity in the Atlanta metro area (in addition to GAA), although the highest performing gymnasts in Georgia tend to flock to Georgia Elite because it is an amazing gym. The issue is that many burn out because they are traveling so far or living away from their families.

Just an unrelated FYI, housing prices in Nashville are significantly higher than Charlotte, the mortgage or rent payment difference(about 25% more) would be much more than the state income tax difference(5%). I think Atlanta is in between the two.

Southeastern and GAA don’t have elite programs, but they do have solid optional programs. Not sure where the idea that gymnasts burn out from commenting to GA Elite, but yes, they do have an elite training program and are solid at most all of the levels. I don’t know much about TN, but I’m sure your familiar with Everest’s elite training program. If you have a chance to visit any of the gyms you’re looking at, I recommend it, as you want to find a good fit for your whole family.

Southeastern and GAA don’t have elite programs, but they do have solid optional programs. Not sure where the idea that gymnasts burn out from commenting to GA Elite, but yes, they do have an elite training program and are solid at most all of the levels. I don’t know much about TN, but I’m sure your familiar with Everest’s elite training program. If you have a chance to visit any of the gyms you’re looking at, I recommend it, as you want to find a good fit for your whole family.

I have only heard great things about GA Elite's program, but I have known several girls who started there and then realized they couldn't commute 2 hours each way and ended up leaving the sport because it was all just too much pressure, time, etc.

I don’t think Tennessee is a huge state for gymnastics. If you look at their state meet this year, there were only 31 level 10s. N.C. had 90 and GA 58 (for comparison to your current state, Ohio had 80). Personally, I would choose N.C. if you find a nice neighborhood with good schools. I also agree with the previous poster that said just because a gym has HOPES, that doesn’t mean it’s the best gym for your child. I have also heard great things about First in Flight as far as environment, ETC...Yes, SE and Everest produce amazing gymnasts, but they are known for being a bit more intense. Some girls thrive there and some do not.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back