Moving to NoVa and need help finding great gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hello - we are moving this summer from SoCal to NoVa (will be living in West Springfield) and would love some insight into the gyms in that area. I have found some older threads on the subject of NoVa gyms, but am looking for some fresh opinions and personal experiences. This will be our first time having to choose between more than one gym as well as our daughter's first time trying out for a team (while here, she simply moved up in levels and onto the team). She is 9 yrs old and a new level 5. The gym she has been with has been very small and felt like family, and I feel she would thrive best in a gym with coaches and teammates she loves.

I found both Capital and Cardinal gyms in Burke, Va - did a bit of research and found high scoring gymnasts of all levels and high level gymnasts who have stayed with their respective gyms for several years. The only reviews I can find are either very general - "great gym, love it" - or very negative with comments about extremely harsh coaches that belittle gymnasts and private lessons being needed in order to move up in levels. With our stay in NoVa being potentially 4 years, I feel like this choice is a big one in terms of finding a gym where she will continue to love the sport as well as get some quality coaching.

So my question is - does anyone have personal experience with either of these gyms (or others very close to Springfield) as well as experience with choosing which gym is right for your gymnast? Do you normally only get one trial class - would that be her "try out" for the team - are they trying to impress you or is the gymnast needing to impress them? What do you do/say/ask/look for when entering a new gym? What I thought would be an easy transition is now seeming quite daunting - I'm getting anxious and I certainly don't want to pass that along to my daughter. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

There are SO many gyms in the NoVa area, so I wouldn't worry about not finding anything that works for your DD. They have just about everything from elite gyms to solid and competitive JO gyms to more low-key JO programs (most of which I think are still pretty respectable).
Beyond the two you mentioned, I have heard good things about Apollo in Woodbridge, though the drive might be a little much, especially with traffic.
Capital has a very well-formed program that has been around for years and seen a lot of success. They do have an elite program, and I've heard those coaches can be pretty tough, but they have also had a lot of girls stick around through their entire careers and go on to get scholarships, so they must be doing something right.
I'm in a different part of the state so I don't know too many details beyond what I already posted, though I know there are quite a few members from that area who will probably be able to provide much better information.

As far as tryouts, just call or e-mail ahead and ask what they think would be best. They might do an evaluation and/or have her come in and practice with their level 5 kids for a day or two, maybe even a whole week, to see where she fits in best and if she likes the program. After they have an idea of what she can do, they will probably let you know what level/training group she will be placed in and what their plans would be for her. At least that seems to be the norm, practices vary from gym to gym.
As far as things to look for and questions to ask, what is important to you and your daughter? Hours, cost, team size, coaching style, results, or something else? Every kid is different and just because a team has successful compulsory teams, or a large optional team, means it's the right fit for your DD. Your best bet might be to just go in and observe the gym at a time when several levels are practicing to see how the gymnasts and coaches interact with each other, class sizes, etc.
Best wishes!

I'm very, very familiar with both those gyms. Like Coach Molly said, the location in northern Virginia makes a big difference. Do you know if you'll be near the Burke area? If you send me a PM, I'll be happy to give you some detailed information on Capital and Cardinal or suggest some other area options as well depending on your location.

First off, welcome to NoVa, from another westerner in the area. I grew up and compete through L 10 in Colorado and started college for gym in Utah. I now live in Washington DC with my brother and niece who just finished her first season competingn ever at L 5 and she's now training for for L 6. We went through the same thing last year around this time when my niece decided she wanted to going a gymnastics team, right when I moved to the area for school and to help my brother take care of my niece. I got a lot of great advice then, http://www.chalkbucket.com/forums/p...relative-one-also-questions-dc-area-gyms.html

We love the gym we chose. She might grow out of it after next season if she keeps on the same path, but we have no interest in going anywhere else until then. We looked at some other gyms in the area, even going in for a practice at some. There are a lot of great gyms in the area so a lot of it comes down to the individual athlete and family.

If you want to talk more in detail, please PM me! I can tell you about my niece's gym and the specific ones we looked at, as well as the other gyms in the area we know from meets and competing against their athletes.

Hi bribir514 - I've tried to PM you, but your inbox is full :) Just wanted to get any inside info you have on your niece's gym and any others you tried or have seen at meets.

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to respond - I really appreciate all the info.

Hi there,

First, congrats on your move. I hope you enjoy your time in Nova! I've read some of those past threads about Nova area gyms and have had a different (and much more positive) experience for our daughter at Capital Gymnastics. She's a Level 4 gymnast and her coaches to date have all been positive with her, though they definitely have very high standards. She has gotten really great instruction and she loves the gym, her coaches, and her teammates. No one is giving out praise willy-nilly but they're not overly harsh or critical, either. For DD, it's a great fit because she thrives with the structure and with the challenge of earning her coach's positive comments, but it would be a less-than-great fit for my other daughter, who has a much more sensitive nature.

To me, picking a gym is a lot like finding the "right" college -- something may look great on paper but you get there and it just doesn't feel right or you read bad things but find out when you visit, that all of the things that turned the other person off, actually make it more appealing to you, given your child's temperament and personality. Best of luck with your search!

Thanks elibro - it's good to hear something positive about Capital. I was beginning to wonder why I couldn't find any good reviews from Capital - I assumed it was just a matter of people being more likely to go online to complain rather than to compliment. I had come across a thread from several years ago on the Fairfax Underground - basically the Capital parents' booster club airing their dirty laundry - that was a big turn off :( I knew there had to be some pleased folks out there somewhere, and there's usually more to it than meets the eye. Always good to know we will have plenty of options once we get there - keeping an open mind and looking forward to finding a good fit.

Thanks elibro - it's good to hear something positive about Capital. I was beginning to wonder why I couldn't find any good reviews from Capital - I assumed it was just a matter of people being more likely to go online to complain rather than to compliment. I had come across a thread from several years ago on the Fairfax Underground - basically the Capital parents' booster club airing their dirty laundry - that was a big turn off :( I knew there had to be some pleased folks out there somewhere, and there's usually more to it than meets the eye. Always good to know we will have plenty of options once we get there - keeping an open mind and looking forward to finding a good fit.

There's drama at a lot of gyms, and everyone is looking for something different. Certainly what Capital excels at is getting talented children to a high level relatively quickly. If you want certain training opportunities at an early stage, you're pretty much looking at Capital or Hill's in this area. There are pros and cons to everything so you have to consider that, but one pro is that despite the above, their team is not very "exclusive", i.e. they accept many children that they see as having the potential to get compulsory skills and then they go from there - this is good, actually they allow more children on team than other area gyms in my experience - they are confident that some kids with the right training will show more potential later. But, you have to see how this can cause drama if Kid A moves to optional training quickly while Kid B repeats level 5 for three years but the parents think she will be an elite. Coaching staff is mostly not American. Many American families also will experience less "culture shock" with an American coach. That is fine, some people like one thing, some like something else, and both kinds exist in the area.

You just have to go in with an honest perception of your child's abilities and personality, and what specifically you are looking for and what is non-negotiable.

Yes, that was a HUGE brouhaha... unfortunately tho, some of those people are still in power over there, and their egos tend to get in the way of operating an open and fair booster club..... just beware... I've been off this board for a while now, am going to go post about our experiences with various clubs in the area.... oh and welcome to No. VA!!!! I atually grew up not too far from where you'll be living!

O.K.... here goes. I don't know if you're still looking for a club or have found a good fit yet, but as I said, here goes!!! (Disclaimer: I have no vested interest here, it's just my own personal opinion from past experience and from still attending meets in which my DD's friends still compete)

My DD started off at Capital. It was a wonderful experience for her at the lower levels. Her coaches were very caring and dedicated to her development as a gymnast. She was properly instructed on the correct body positions and did very well at the lower levels. I think she scored top in the top 6 at Levels four and five... can't quite remember and don't have the energy to go dig up old results. We decided NOT to stick with Capital as she progressed for a variety of reasons.... First and foremost was the harshness of the coaching at the optional levels. We knew a LOT kids who went over there and quit the sport in less than a year due to the demeaning nature of the coaching. Yes, kids were called "stupid," "lazy," whatever. Some parents excused that simply as "Russian coaching styles." I don't mean to offend anyone here, I am just repeating what I've seen and heard. If your child is not a sensitive-type and can blow off the comments, Capital DOES definitely produce BEAUTIFUL GYMNASTS!!!! They will also focus more on the girls they see as having more "natural" talent. It just is what it is. They used to have TONS of compulsory gymnasts, I don't see so many Level 4's and 5's this past year, or on their roster either (I just checked). I don't know if that's good or bad.... the bottom line is that we have so many gyms in the area now, it could just be that people are choosing to stick closer to home at the compulsory levels.... boy am I getting long-winded here!!

Springfield..... o.k. There's Novak's in Woodbridge. Also Russian coaches, but they also have some gorgeous gymnasts as well. I remember there was a negative thread about them a while back, but they're doing something right as well. It's a small gym. There's also Youth Sports in Woodbridge, but not a "top producer" when it comes to optionals either. Cardinal has been around for quite a while. There's Gymini in Herndon, but I'm not really seeing a lot from them so much anymore. I had heard that the owner was thinking about retiring. Gymdog, any insight there? I know a lot of their girls have left and moved to other gyms in the area. I would DEFINITELY think about Apollo if I had to do this all over again. Their Optional girls have really burst upon the scene in the last 2 to 3 years. They have Ken Anderson as their head coach, and he has really done wonders for the gym, and one of Katy's ex-team members goes there and just LOVES it..... she's currently a Level 10 and was wanting to quit gym altogether til she went over there!

Chantilly Academy in Chantilly - o.k. They have a handful of L10's; APEX in Leesburg, no L10's but a huge program; Dulles Gymnastics - Owner has coached for 40 years, owned previous gym, sold it, missed gymnastics and started a new gym.... still a small program; and now Hope Spivey has moved her gym to the Dulles area from Georgia as well. Her previous gym only went to Level 7. Looks like they competed mostly AAU and Prep Op. The gyms listed in this last paragraph are probably too far for you to seriously give them any consideration tho.

Please let us know what you decided!!

I was just reading back through the posts.... to get to Apollo from West Springfield, you could just hope on Fairfax County parkway and then pick up some "back roads" to get over to Hoadly Road (where the gym is located).

Oh I forgot to mention NVGA (opened a brand new gym this past spring). They really seem to focus on their prep op program more than the JO program. They may change now that they've hired Annia Hatch away from Loudoun. And of course, Loudoun Gymnastics. But I think these gyms are too far away from West Springfield to be in serious contention.

Wow - thanks TQM - just the kind of info I'm looking for. I love that we'll have so many options. I asked our current coach what "type" she thought my daughter was (sensitive or hard charger) in an attempt to narrow down our choices in gyms. Her response was not to worry, and that my daughter will "just know" which gym is right for her once she tries them out. I can see that - and it certainly makes me feel better knowing she's really in it for her love of the sport. Apollo is sounding really good - Google tells me it's about a 30 min drive for us which isn't too bad - I was keeping my fingers crossed for Cardinal or Capital since they will be closer, but really it's about finding the right fit.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back