WAG Moving

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

aerials

Proud Parent
This is a two part question about moving and finding a new gym. We need to find a new gym for our daughter, she has been competing for 3 years and has loves gymnastics. So, I ask:

1. How do I evaluate a new gym? I have 3 or 4 in mind already

2. We are moving to Ohio, the southwest side of Cleveland. Can anyone recommend a gym in this area? I want to look at Gym World, Head Over Heels, Above the Barre and Five Star. I know that Gym World is probably the best out of these but it will be the farthest and it may be too big for my liking.

Thanks!

I HIGHLY suggest you contact Dunno. PM him. He seems to know a lot about a lot of the gyms everywhere.

I am interested in reading the responses to this as we will probably be moving to this same area in the next year or so.

We just did the move-and-find-a-new-gym thing ourselves. We did some research online first and narrowed it down to 3 or 4 gyms, then we called each one to ask some general information. We visited each one and they all gave my daughter a chance to practice with them. We took her opinion into account and then made our decision as the parents and bill-payers. She's had two practices at her "new" gym this week and so far it's going well. Good luck to you!

A few things I would want to know before committing to a gym:

1. Coach to gymnast ratio on team.
2. How many girls at each level (specifically do they have upper optional girls)
3. Cost
4. What does the practice schedule look like for each level
5. How many meets and where
6. Do they have a booster club
7. Do they have parent participation requirements. (For example: DD's gym hosts 3 meets a year where parents are required to work a 3 hours shift.)
8. Do they allow parent viewing during practice
9. Do they have move up requirements
10. How much conditioning per practice (I use this to gauge the strength of the gymnasts which is important for doing skills safely)

That's just a list off the top of my head. I would also check out the gym on MeetScoresOnline or MyMeetScores just to get a feel for where their girls place. And, of course, nothing tells you about a gym like letting your gymmie try a practice while you chat with the parents.

A few things I would want to know before committing to a gym:

1. Coach to gymnast ratio on team.
2. How many girls at each level (specifically do they have upper optional girls)
3. Cost
4. What does the practice schedule look like for each level
5. How many meets and where
6. Do they have a booster club
7. Do they have parent participation requirements. (For example: DD's gym hosts 3 meets a year where parents are required to work a 3 hours shift.)
8. Do they allow parent viewing during practice
9. Do they have move up requirements
10. How much conditioning per practice (I use this to gauge the strength of the gymnasts which is important for doing skills safely)

That's just a list off the top of my head. I would also check out the gym on MeetScoresOnline or MyMeetScores just to get a feel for where their girls place. And, of course, nothing tells you about a gym like letting your gymmie try a practice while you chat with the parents.

I just went thru this and was going to state pretty much all that was posted here!! Our search went well based off this type of list.Goodluck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back