WAG Muscle Memory: How to jump higher before tucking (Back Tuck)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gazelle

Gymnast
Hello all :)

I'm working on my back tuck. I'm beginning by jumping off of a high mat onto a low mat. My spotter claims that they barely touch me, and I land the back tuck on my feet. I do a good job of not throwing my head back, rotating (I think), and committing to the tuck. However, after looking at a video of myself trying the back tuck, I realized that I appear to rotate too early--I don't seem to wait long enough before beginning my tuck. Obviously, I think this will make getting my back tuck on flat ground much more difficult, and I don't want to code the wrong movement.

Rationally, I think the answer is just to wait before tucking, but I need a way to teach my body how to do this. For front tucks, I could easily solve this by putting blocks up for me to jump over, but I don't know how to do this for back tucks. The only way I can think of right now is to do this* drill onto higher and higher mats (thus forcing a higher jump prior to rotating), but I'd love more drills/advice.

Thanks!

*jump up and back onto a high mat, landing in a tucked/candlestick position.

Are you spotting something on the wall in front of you before you go? And that is the drill I have used for back tucks, so I think you are on the right track. :)

Can you explain more?

Should I be spotting something on the ceiling, or high in front of me?

I don't know, honestly. I sort of have amnesia...I remember squatting down for the jump, and then my next bout of consciousness is when I'm standing on the floor (after the tuck). I guess this is probably a sign, though, that even in my mind, I plan on immediately rotating instead of letting myself jump a little prior, so thank you for the advice. I won't be able to try it until Wednesday, but I look forward to doing so..

I would say spot something high wall, or where the wall meets the ceiling. Watch it as long as possible, and then tuck. The times I don't spot anything, are the times I go straight back (throw my head back). The times I do spot something, are the times it goes up and the landing is awesome. Hope that helps! :)

I would say spot something high wall, or where the wall meets the ceiling. Watch it as long as possible, and then tuck. The times I don't spot anything, are the times I go straight back (throw my head back). The times I do spot something, are the times it goes up and the landing is awesome. Hope that helps! :)

Mmmm. a "proud parent" that is still doing standing back tucks...Mmmm...

Yes, proud parent AND current gymnast. I take an adult tumbling class every week. What's your issue with that?

and the OP has a couple of posts with astute vocabulary...Mmmm...

Yes, proud parent AND current gymnast. I take an adult tumbling class every week. What's your issue with that?

i'm not a fan of adult gymnastics. and especially when they have jobs and kids. several here agree to disagree with me. and that's okay. :)

and before someone brings it up, adult gymnastics is not the same as what Chusovitina does. and she is an extreme exception to my opinion. :)

That's fine. I personally love to still do it, it's more fun to do than treadmill/running, and someday I won't be able to flip anymore so I might as well keep doing it until my body says stop. Besides, don't you think it's rude to take over someone else's thread about back tucks to talk about your dislike of adult gym? Do you have anything to add to the person who asked the question?

I'd expect more of a coach and club owner.

That's fine. I personally love to still do it, it's more fun to do than treadmill/running, and someday I won't be able to flip anymore so I might as well keep doing it until my body says stop. Besides, don't you think it's rude to take over someone else's thread about back tucks to talk about your dislike of adult gym? Do you have anything to add to the person who asked the question?

I'd expect more of a coach and club owner.

with certain questions, yes. with some, no. the no's are usually because i am suspect of the post or there is no video to show where exactly the learning curve is at. some advice could actually get someone injured.

if this person is doing back tucks from a high block and down to the floor with a mat, and this is what they have posted, it tells a coach that has experience that those questions should be for the coach of the poster because this poster has no clue where they are in the development of the skill they are trying to learn.

moreover, that i am a coach and club owner with numerous other posts on this subject matter shows that i am always concerned about safety of the participant. possibly if you were a coach and club owner and were on this site longer you would think and 'see' the same way some of us do. stay safe. :)

Thank you for the advice, rbearclaw.

And to dunno, I guess I'll thank you for the compliment, as I hardly think having an astute vocabulary is a sin.

I am 22. I don't see why this is a relevant point.

However, yes indeed, I do not have the luxury in enrolling in a 'normal' gym or having an experienced coach right now. I'm going to a free open gym type class, where I do have spotters and the typical mats that will prevent me from getting hurt. If I wasn't unemployed and in debt from my student loans, then I'd gladly get an experienced gymnastics coach, but for the next several months I'm happy to slowly progress and get stronger with what is available to me, right now. I have a healthy dose of fear and do not attempt new skills without having spent months on drills for the skill and knowing that I can attempt it safely (with spotters, etc). I had three months in a normal gymnastics type setting, so in the meantime, I've already been taught many drills and conditioning exercises that I can continue to work on, and there are a few skills which--while not perfect and need work--I know well enough that they are not dangerous to perform at a gym.

understood. then post up video so that some of us can see where you're at in the learning curve of the standing tuck back. i can better help you this way. :)

my compliment was actually tongue in cheek because it 'sounded' like an adult but i thought was a kid. and the kid should be asking their coach. obviously, your circumstances are different but i still don't want to see you hurt on advice that would be better served after seeing video. capiche?

Yessir, and thank you, sorry for the touchy response :).

Videos would definitely make it easier to judge, especially since I'm not working with the best coaches. I'll be sure to post one next time (or maybe next week).

Are you serious dunno? I am in my 30's and I do standing back tucks every day. I to am a coach and club owner and am pedantic about safety but I find it a lot easier to do as an adult that I ever did as a child for two reasons.

1. Adult muscle. Meaning most strength exersizes I am running circles around the fittest kids.

2. Understanding of the skill. As an adult you can have a deep understanding of the physics of a skill.

The areas where I find it much more difficult than a child are when it's related to flexibility. But this is not really an issue with a standing back tuck.

I do understand that there can be a lot,of risk with adult gymnastics, but in my country almost every gym offers an adult gymnastics class (insurance costs the same, whether you are an adult or a kid). As Long as you build them up properly, and don't allow them to walk in the door and say "okay, I want to learn a front tuck by today", but you start from the basics with the forward roll it can be quite safe.

I think dunno's caution was warranted, considering the lack of any sort of standardization of adult gymnastics classes in the US.

Nonetheless, there's no reason adults can't do gymnastics, as long as they have adequate coaching, equipment, and (most importantly) an understanding of their own limitations.

At any rate, let's bring the focus back to the question at hand. If you want to respectfully debate the merits and safety of adult gymnastics classes, it would be best to start another thread for it.

As for the original question, I'd have to see a video to give any sort of useful response.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back