Parents Musings of a Gym Parent in Isolation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

suds

Proud Parent
During the pandemic, new thoughts keep popping up. For example:
  • What did I used to do back when I had free time?
  • When they are all washed and hanging up, she really does have a lot of leos.
  • So THIS is what it feels like when our entire family is home at the same time.
  • It feels weird not going to the gas station every 3 days. I kinda miss it.
  • Meal planning for a sit-down meal at home. Wow. Now THAT's novel.
  • (while extended treasure hunting under the seats of our cars): Uh, what did this thing used to be…
  • We have waaaaay too many food storage containers. (see point above)
  • Mental note: buy more sanitizing spray for the seats and floor of the car from the money we're now saving on gas.

(anyone else want to share their musings from isolation?)

I miss restaurants and carryout pizza.
Three people generate a lot more dirt when they are actually home. The dog generates the same amount of fur as always.
At least now I don't have to stress out about meets or "lost" skills.
The grips I just bought because she outgrew three pairs within the last 12 months got used for exactly one week and may never be used again.
I am not suited to homeschooling.
My kid still has no interest in the parallettes she absolutely had to have.

Oh so many musings...
Maybe now I won’t go over the mileage for my lease
Will this break make DD never want to go back to gymnastics?
So.much.laundry.still
Why am I able to accomplish more things with the kids home than when they are not home?
I am so glad restaurants can deliver wine with their carry out/delivery!

My gymnast isn't nearly as sassy as she is when she is exhausted from school and gym. Its kind of nice.
However my house is not suited for tumbling (when she does standing back tucks I think my dishes might break).
Her brothers appreciate her being gone, one less person to use the xbox
I like making dinner and not having to worry about how to get it done between practice pick up and homework.
I miss my gym friends as much as she does.
There are now more dishes than laundry (how is that even possible?)
My kids eat A LOT.

-Within a week our sleep schedules have radically shifted. Apparently, we all do better staying up later and sleeping in later. Why does normal life follow a schedule that was likely based on being an agrarian society, when we aren't anymore?
-I am a terrible homeschool mom.
-I'm less of an introvert than I thought.
-While I used to dislike grocery shopping, it's actually a treat when it's the only way at all to get out of the house.
-My kids don't miss school, but they really miss gymnastics.

- I really don’t mind social distancing. My hubs and my kids are plenty of social interaction for me.
- I thought I was ok with my daughter’s senior dance stuff getting canceled but then teared up when I thought I watched her last ballet performance already.
- We eat a lot of eggs
- I really enjoy my kids’ company, like truly.

I'm bored.
I miss my team girls and the rest of the coaches.
I miss the little rec girl who likes for me to count her jumps on the mini tramp (She "knows" I can't count past 10 in any language, so she goes until I run out of languages, lol).
I'm not hitting my step goal as early as I do when we have gym.
There are only so many ways I can make a salad.
French onion dip has fewer calories than miracle whip?!?!?
I eat more when I am stuck at home (but most of it is really healthy).
I am glad we make our brother get the big packs of toilet paper on a regular basis.
My puppy really likes to eat our couch pillows.
Drinking 200+ ounces of water a day leads to a lot of bathroom trips.
I wonder when YMCA Gymnastics Nationals will decide if they are cancelling the meet ... and if they will postpone the due date for team-affiliated spectator tickets ... and if they will give meet fee refunds if they do cancel.

My gymnast isn't nearly as sassy as she is when she is exhausted from school and gym. Its kind of nice.
-My child is Five MILLION times as sassy and moody and emotional and irritable and sensitive (!!!!)because she is not going to gym
-When will these girls get to go back
-a short break is good for the soul. An undetermined break? Not so much.
-Schoolwork is now harder to get done because she has so much extra time so she doesn’t budget it well. And then I lose my cool and it all goes south very quickly.
-this sucks, and at times I feel like I am losing it also!
-if I check myself into the hospital I risk getting coronavirus
-this really sucks
:D:D:D:D:D :mad: :mad: -
-

I am really mourning that my nongymnast Senior is probably never going to have a Prom or High School Graduation. That my 8th grade gymnast was robbed of state, regionals, her last few months at her school she has been at since preschool, her 8th grade Trip, her 8th Grade Graduation and maybe her gymnastics
career since a medical procedure she is supposed to have soon will probably be cancelled as "elective". Family time is nice, but watching my kids lives fall apart sucks.
I have been a stay at home Mom and spent tons of time with my kids. Long walks and game nights are nothing new. They need school, friends, jobs , life. I really can't find any positives. Meanwhile my 82 year old Father has continued to play golf in Florida and do whatever he can to avoid social distancing, while our lives have stopped. The age demographic we are supposed to be protecting with all this....

*I picked a hell of a year to stop homeschooling
*If my gymnast son had to have a season-ending injury requiring surgery and no gym training at all for at least 6 months I guess you could say this was a good year for that to happen. Unless his physical therapist closes too.
*I always knew that most of my dds love of acro is really love of being around friendly girls of all ages doing fun stuff together. Now I know it is all that.
*Swinging on a swing is conditioning right?
*(For track son, who has also lost his season and coached training) Would telling my kid I will look the other way when he jumps the fence of the public track they have now LOCKED because apparently training alone on open air tracks is a public health hazard contributing to the delinquency of a minor?
*WHY DO ALL THESE AMERICAN IDOL CONTESTANTS KEEP HUGGING EACH OTHER????

Teenage DD and a group of her best friends had a group Facetime for 2 hours last night. They plan to do this every night. Best mood booster.
Working from home isn't so bad if I can keep my "coworkers" out of my office.
Thought I was an introvert until I was forced to be. Miss my gym parent buddies.
Weird noises coming from my DD's room are just her working out.
Gym owners finally fixed broken equipment. Team can't wait to use it.
Teammates discussing that they will be able to tell who did their workouts and who didn't when they get back to the gym.
Coaches really do care about college recruiting.
On the bright side, no post season expenses means more money for camps.

I am really mourning that my nongymnast Senior is probably never going to have a Prom or High School Graduation. That my 8th grade gymnast was robbed of state, regionals, her last few months at her school she has been at since preschool, her 8th grade Trip, her 8th Grade Graduation and maybe her gymnastics
career since a medical procedure she is supposed to have soon will probably be cancelled as "elective". Family time is nice, but watching my kids lives fall apart sucks.
I have been a stay at home Mom and spent tons of time with my kids. Long walks and game nights are nothing new. They need school, friends, jobs , life. I really can't find any positives. Meanwhile my 82 year old Father has continued to play golf in Florida and do whatever he can to avoid social distancing, while our lives have stopped. The age demographic we are supposed to be protecting with all this....

@gymmomtotwo, I am in the same boat as you. In my case, my daughter is gymnast AND senior, so she misses post season, the only year that she isn't injured during post season L10 and was hoping to make Nationals for the first/last time. She will miss senior recognition at State, something she has been looking forward to since seeing her teammates get recognized when at Level 7. At school, she has worked so hard to make all As and President's Honor Roll but the Awards Night is now cancelled. She won't celebrate Signing Day. She will not get to go to prom, graduation commencement, grad night, yearbook signing, tearful/joyful goodbyes with friends and teachers, do the senior pranks that she and her friends had been planning all year. I am so sad for the seniors. They worked their whole lives to build up for this big moment, the moment that validates it's all worth it. I am afraid to say it really (so I am glad you did so I don't feel so alone), because people are so judgy. Because they don't have seniors and they don't care about a small group of senior kids who will miss out on life's milestones, or it's just gymnastics so get over it. I am not saying the virus situation should be taken lightly, but people judge you if you don't take it with a smiling face and go yeah we are so positive and enjoying family time and my kids are happy doing chores and staying motivated because we are doing this for the public good. Yes, we are doing it for the public good, I am fine with that. I understand the magnitude and doing our part. But it is still sad and gut wrenching for our personal lives. High school graduation is a rite of passage, a formal recognition of the transition from a being a child to entering adulthood. It just feels really wrong that these kids have to miss out so much.

End of rant. Writing it out loud actually made me tearful but still feels good in getting it off my chest.

Not here- mostly on Facebook, I've seen so much finger wagging about people expressing sadness over all they or their kids are missing out on. Yes, we're dealing with a pandemic, but it's definitely okay to mourn the loss of all of these things our kids have worked hard for and dreamed about. It should be okay for us to express sadness about missing out on milestones and events without being shamed for it. Gigi, I'm so sorry for all your Senior has lost out on this year, and the many big and little things we are missing out on during this very difficult time.

* We are a house of 7 that before the stay-home business was used to being constantly on the go. It's painful at times.
* The kids are ages 18, 16, 15, 14, and 12, and good Lord they eat a lot.
* Family dinners are kinda fun, kinda annoying.
* Cleaning more now than I have in a while. The dust allergy in me is not loving it.
* My dog has been walked for 7 consecutive days. That's more than he has been walked in the past 6 months. Happy doggy!
* I, too, have a new-found love of grocery shopping.
* Wine is my friend.
* The Rummage Sale boxes are getting full, so I sure hope our church still has their rummage sale this fall.
* We didn't get any action shots at gym meets this year. Thought we had another chance, but no.
* My husband is a really good cook! So thankful!

Not here- mostly on Facebook, I've seen so much finger wagging about people expressing sadness over all they or their kids are missing out on. Yes, we're dealing with a pandemic, but it's definitely okay to mourn the loss of all of these things our kids have worked hard for and dreamed about. It should be okay for us to express sadness about missing out on milestones and events without being shamed for it. Gigi, I'm so sorry for all your Senior has lost out on this year, and the many big and little things we are missing out on during this very difficult time.
Yes! I am so tired of people “shaming“ parents or kids who are sad, upset, disappointed whatever emotion about the upheaval this has caused in their lives. My DD(12)switched to all star cheer from gymnastics a few years ago and she’s so sad her season is most likely over, that her dance recital will probably be cancelled, that her 6th grade social is canceled. My niece is a senior and is worried that her graduation will be cancelled and is devastated the Science Olympiad Nationals are cancelled, something that had been her goal since 6th grade and finally her team qualified for this year. It breaks my heart to see these kids so sad and then infuriates me when people tell them ’its just..... its not as important as stopping this outbreak’. As if somehow being upset means you don’t care about this pandemic. Just stop it:mad: Thank you for letting me vent.

@gymmomtotwo, I am in the same boat as you. In my case, my daughter is gymnast AND senior, so she misses post season, the only year that she isn't injured during post season L10 and was hoping to make Nationals for the first/last time. She will miss senior recognition at State, something she has been looking forward to since seeing her teammates get recognized when at Level 7. At school, she has worked so hard to make all As and President's Honor Roll but the Awards Night is now cancelled. She won't celebrate Signing Day. She will not get to go to prom, graduation commencement, grad night, yearbook signing, tearful/joyful goodbyes with friends and teachers, do the senior pranks that she and her friends had been planning all year. I am so sad for the seniors. They worked their whole lives to build up for this big moment, the moment that validates it's all worth it. I am afraid to say it really (so I am glad you did so I don't feel so alone), because people are so judgy. Because they don't have seniors and they don't care about a small group of senior kids who will miss out on life's milestones, or it's just gymnastics so get over it. I am not saying the virus situation should be taken lightly, but people judge you if you don't take it with a smiling face and go yeah we are so positive and enjoying family time and my kids are happy doing chores and staying motivated because we are doing this for the public good. Yes, we are doing it for the public good, I am fine with that. I understand the magnitude and doing our part. But it is still sad and gut wrenching for our personal lives. High school graduation is a rite of passage, a formal recognition of the transition from a being a child to entering adulthood. It just feels really wrong that these kids have to miss out so much.

End of rant. Writing it out loud actually made me tearful but still feels good in getting it off my chest.
I have a senior daughter as well, The good thing is she moved from training level 9 to High school so she got to finish out her season barely (younger sister who is on the MAGA team first year on competing team , she is only 7 missed out on her last meet ) but thankfully 18 yr old but this is so dang hard on the seniors , and she has heard people tell them they are selfish for being so upset over not getting a graduation or prom. while I know she will move on and all this is hard ,they have spent years of excitement to get to this point!

* I'm perfectly happy in self-isolation. I have all I need at home with the husband, kids and cats around. I did 10 weeks of bed rest with one pregnancy which I secretly loved. This feels similar, only I’m fully mobile!

* I don't mind cooking dinner every night when I'm not shuffling between kid activities and we can all eat at the same time.

* I'm actually VERY relieved that my DD's body gets time to heal w/o any delays to her training. She’s been injured for over a month and was going to try to come back for state on one event which I wasn’t happy about. Now her body will get some true rest before she starts gearing up for college gymnastics.

* DD has me doing some of her conditioning with her. I love Coach P’s Happy Abs and legs workouts. Legs however are modified for 45 year old knees.

* My DD is a senior. The one thing she was bummed about missing was the Sr recognition at State. She was looking forward to being recognized in front of her peers.

Yes, we're dealing with a pandemic, but it's definitely okay to mourn the loss of all of these things our kids have worked hard for and dreamed about. It should be okay for us to express sadness about missing out on milestones and events without being shamed for it.

Mixed emotions seem to be a key part of the overall experience right now.

I too grieve for what is lost. I also try and figure out “What is left?”, and then “What next?”.
I try to recognize when I do visit the stages of grieving ( denial, anger, bargaining, depression, and acceptance). I acknowledge it, revel in the misery of it (briefly), vent it out to others, then try to move myself on - hopefully in a positive direction.

I am grateful my children have time together, that my daughter has time to heal from injury,
that we have a warm safe house and enough food to eat. For myself, actively recognizing the positives, and noting the funny moments, do also seem quite helpful on this bizarre journey.

So much in the world has changed (any change being the source of our grieving). This includes some permanent change.
There are plenty of negative changes (for now) but also some good ones too.

Who knows how many other infectious diseases we will be tamping down in the future now that we realize we should be sanitizing our doorknobs regularly, now that we are practicing not touching our face as much, etc.

I hear you.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back