Parents Must decide today

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My DD was all set to go L9 this season. She had her first meet in early December and broke her thumb during warming up bars (2nd event). She got clearnace back to ful gymnastics on Dec. 27th. She has a meet this weekend and has the option to go L8 or L9. Because of the adjusted training with her broken thumb bars is definitely not ready, can't get pirouette and would have to do layout flyaway instead of double back. She would be able to do her L8 bar routine though. However, all other events should be ok. She is having a slight mental block on yuerchenko (where she wants coach to stand and where he wants to stand). She thinks she may need a back 1 1/2 for floor which she doesn't have right now.
If she goes with L8 she will have a few team mates and coach still wants her to do L9 tricks and take deductions just to get out there and do them. If she goes L9 she will be the only one, which may happen all year anyway.

I'm really unsure what will be best. Any opinions?

What's the down side to doing this meet at 8? Other than that her coach wants her to try 9. There will be other meets . . .

What's the down side to doing this meet at 8? Other than that her coach wants her to try 9. There will be other meets . . .
True, and coach does not worry about scores, ever! He just wants to see them improve and fix things up. My thought is either way she will get plenty of deductions so not sure if she should just go L9 and have a feel for where she stands as of now or will it disappoint her. I am leaving it up to her and coach but curious what opinions are out there.

Thanks for your thought.

Her coach and I left it up to her after tonight's practice. She decided to go to the L8 session and do whatever L9 skills she has. She didn't feel ready for L9. She will then have 5 weeks before the next meet to prepare, mentally and physically.

Her coach and I left it up to her after tonight's practice. She decided to go to the L8 session and do whatever L9 skills she has. She didn't feel ready for L9. She will then have 5 weeks before the next meet to prepare, mentally and physically.

Sounds like a good plan- no need to rush it. Dds gym does the same thing at these levels. Wish your dd the best this weekend :). Hope all goes well!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back