WAG My 5 yrold back handspring

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

your dd is super cute, and you wont want to hear this but really, gym needs to be kept in the gym.

NO back handsprings at home, or in the park with daddy helping. Their backs are very delicate and doing these things can at best lead to bad habits that put their gym back, at worst life altering injuries. No back walkovers or backbends either.

Generally, the only things they should be doing at home, if they must is possibly chin ups on a chin up bar, splits and handstands, and as they have more hours at gym, they should be doing nothing.

Hi, and welcome. Wow, I'm impressed.

I'm relatively new here too. Based on the sage advice I've received here I would say to let her coach worry about the skills and just be a proud parent.

Ok.

What margo said. Leave it to the coaches.

But also, be aware of good and bad coaches. She's 5, and talented. Don't let the coaches push her too fast. Remember her skeleton is still growing, and repeated impact on the joints and bending of the spine can have catastrophic consequences.

If she wants to stay in gymnastics long term at her age, and be as successful as she can be she needs excellent basics, body shapes, and conditioning. The difficult skills will come quickly if all that is put in place when she's young.

Amazing for 5. But keep it in the gym on the rest pit! She is going to progress fast enough as it is! Make sure you look into the future and how the program works in the gym you're at now, and makes sure that fits with your family (schedule, values, financial commitment, etc) before she starts competing level 3.

Amaya- it may seem many of us are negative nellies, or too pragmatic. You little one is very talented.
But from the parents and coaches who have been in the sport for many many years, we have seen a lot. I have seem many 'very talented little ones' burn out at the hands of their parents. Or just get sick of the time demands.
But the worst of all is to know kids who love it, and are talented but have been injured severely, and can't anymore......There is a fine line in gymnastics and we all know that to get to the top, kids must learn skills early. Be vigilant, listen to her complaints and her pains. Generally, 5 yo should not learn BHS but some 5 yo are physically capable, as your DD.
The trick is, keep her wanting more. You do this by limiting her hours.....don't give her the entire cake all at once.....one slice at a time.

She is adorable and that is a good backhandspring. As others have said, my tip is to keep it in the gym and let the coaches keep working with her on it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back