My best friend at the gym wants to quit

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

amblan01

Gymnast
She wants to quit after competition season. What can I do? I've quit before at another gym and regretted it. She will regret it. She's mad at the coaches because they give her constructive criticism and she doesn't take criticism well. She says she won't take our coaches crap anymore and shouldn't have to put up with it. I've tried explaining that our coach is just making us better and not to take everything personally. She is stubborn and says she will see how she feels after competition season but feels she belongs in the water on swim team.

My best friend quit a few months ago after she had wrist surgery... She was going to do cheer, but she came back. I think you should just give you friend some space it's ultimately her decision and you as a friend have to let her chose.

My best friend quit a few months ago after she had wrist surgery... She was going to do cheer, but she came back. I think you should just give you friend some space it's ultimately her decision and you as a friend have to let her chose.
Good point!

Also tell her you'll support her no matter what. It's like we're parent when it's our best friend. And if she does end up quitting it will be ok, but don't get upset in front of her it will make her feel like she made the wrong choice

What level is your friend? Is she currently doing swim team? I do both competitive gymnastics and swim team and I'm completely happy because everything I want in a sport is in these two awesome sports... Trust me, she'll miss gymnastics if she focuses just on swim.

What level is your friend? Is she currently doing swim team? I do both competitive gymnastics and swim team and I'm completely happy because everything I want in a sport is in these two awesome sports... Trust me, she'll miss gymnastics if she focuses just on swim.
Level one in gymnastics. No competitiveness in swimteam. Probably not that good at it.

It takes a least a year or so to be even remotely competitive in swim team, unless you are a prodigy. Most people will go into swim team thinking that they are pretty good at swim, but then it turns out that they are at the bottom of the team. Have her time herself doing the freestyle/front crawl for two lengths of the pool (a lap, or a 50) and see what time she gets. She will likely get over a minute.

Relax! Give your friend some space on this. Does she go to your school? If she does, you'll still see her. And she'll really appreciate if you support her, whether she quits or not. It shows that you're a suportive best friend. Good luck!

Relax! Give your friend some space on this. Does she go to your school? If she does, you'll still see her. And she'll really appreciate if you support her, whether she quits or not. It shows that you're a suportive best friend. Good luck!
No she does not go to my school. There's an age gap. And we live 35 minutes away.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back