Parents my dd's video

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

this is a kid who seems to be doing far better than most at her age.

Id rather see a five year old who could perform a correct straddle lever, and a proper handstand, than one which could throw a backhandspring incorrectly

I suppose it depends on what you prefer.

Your daughter is cute as a button. I saw her backhandsprings on youtube and was amazed.

It would be nice if sometimes the coaches would keep their advice to the coaching thread, when really all the parents want to do is share.I am sure if advice was needed or wanted, Mom would've gone to the coaching advice thread.

Though I do like Mr Taucers attitude. Lasswade, on the other hand, should not toss too many stones in her glasshouse.:p

although it would be ideal for the gymnast to do the skills with proper technique is it excellent to see that she is able to do these things at 5 years old.

I didnt mean to be offensive bogwoppit, i was merely stating an opinion.

Hammy, out of pure interest, how old are you?

Sorry if that was innapropriate!

Lasswade-

I have been posting here for about 4 months or so. I have read many of your comments and I was wondering how old you were and if you have any kids? I agree with some of the other posts that sometimes parents want to share there children's achievements with other parents. This is the reason why there is a parents forum. No one should be scared away from posting video for fear that people may take it for more than it is, parents sharing with other parents.

Another thing is that a sign of maturity is that if you do not have anything good to say..say nothing. I am sorry if this is offensive..but this forum is for parents who want to openly discuss and share their gymnasts with each other.

medic - rachel (lasswade) is 18 and asst coaches a mini team at lasswade gymnastics in the UK... I personally would be terrified if my dd was being coached by this woman - even as an asst. She seems to have such a lack of respect for children - even though she trains these girls for 40 hours per week - she once posted a training video of one of her "children" she had been coaching... it was not even her video let alone a 6 or 7 yr old child as she had claimed, but a much older girl that was being trained in a completely different gym -- please be weary of what she says. I am not going to give her any of the attention that she apparently needs to validate herself - even though I personally gave her more then the benefit of the doubt when this happened... she burned a bridge here

bogwoppit tx!! :D I agree this is a parents forum, and we should be allowed to post video or pics without having them picked apart by the coaches... hope that we see more.

and in regards to the "other" coach, may not be perfection, but at least I posted REAL video clips of my own child!

and in regards to the "other" coach, may not be perfection, but at least I posted REAL video clips of my own child![/quote]

You go girl!!!!:D

I'm 20--I was a gymnast for 13 years-retired as a college gymnast for WVU due to a fractured back that won't heal. I've been coaching for about 3 years. I work kids from the age of preschoolers through the level 6 team kids. I admit that I was in the wrong for stating what I said--I should have encouraged the fact that her child is as advanced as she is. I was way out of line and I sincerely appologize. I hope that you can forgive me, and please respect what I have to say.

I love kids to death and I'm always looking for ways to help them; that's why I'm an education major. I didn't mean to "put down" what your daughter was doing; I got a little carried away with the constructive criticism. I should have praised her more, because I know that everyone starts somewhere and she is already way ahead of where she should be.

dd's video

I thought the video was great:tearsofjoy:
I was not going to say anything until I read some of the coaches comments.
The video was made from a proud parent's view, to honor and demonstrate the pride a parent feels for their child as a hard working and valuable part of their life. The video will remain to be seen in years to come and should be cherished:heartbeat: .
The most obvious reaction by most coaches is to critique the form and techniques by a 5 year old. It is the most obvious reaction by coaches that want to sound like ...well coaches:rolleyes:.
What is wrong about enjoying the video as a parent or as a coach for what it was intended:confused: I believe that most coaches will look and see the wrong thing, sometimes we need to just be people that enjoy something.
By the way, I thought it was awesome and was impressed by your DD:D:applause:
Thank You

Ok I'm bummed!! My internet wouldn't let me view the first one not sure if its cuz I don't have High speed or whatever . anyhow I watched your daughter on youtube! so cute! great job!!! I do also agree you posted in the parents forum with no request for critique and none should have been given! as a mother to another determined 5 year old we say keep up the great work! also I find making video's helps me see improvements I may miss cuz you see your child everyday! still bummed I wanted to see the straddle handstand! Hailey is one of 2 in her class that can make them, the others seem so far from making them yet. I am amazed that 5 year olds can even do that skill. also in my opinion perfection does take time, your daughter is doing awesome!
Becky

Ok, guys, let's keep the disccussion on topic. The debate between coaches and parents in this thread has gone on as long as it needs to, and whatever apologies were necessary have already been made. Please drop it and move on.

Becky... the press handstands in the montage were filmed when she very 1st started doing them... it showed 3 failed attempts with the last one being an almost press hs fwd roll to a press flop fwd roll --- lol, what the montage does not show, (it is too small to see on that screen but shows great on my windows player) is the smile on her face after the flop, because she really thought she had done something great:D I LOVE the incredible minds of our pre-schoolers and am enormously proud of their perfect imperfections.

Great videos LGCM! Your daughter is adorable and so gifted! She's just awesome and you are right to be incredibly proud of her. My DD's press handstand is pretty sloppy looking too - but I think it's amazing that all these little girls can do them at age 5!

I wish I could figure out how to get videos on the web, but we have a very old camcorder that tapes onto little tapes and I think we'd have to go somewhere and get them digitized. I am trying to save up for a digital camcorder so I can video my DDs meets next year.

Anyway, thanks for sharing. She's just terrific.

Meg

Hey Meg... I have been trying forever to start a video montage of my kids... when I finally sat down to work on it, I had one issue after the next... my cam is about 5 yrs old I think, after many failed attempts at transferring data to my pc, I went out and picked up the proper media connection. WOW, I could finally get it onto my pc lol... then I had to start going through video tapes -- which I did not label for whatever reason -- to find clips to use. I know somewhere in this house I have more recent footage, but I can not find it anywhere. I am sure I took more footage!! Anyway, I will record some more over the next few days to add to the montage -- which I have changed and continue to change A LOT - lol. It is quite a project, but I have had a lot of fun working on it. Now I just need to tackle - no pun intended :D - my son's football montage. I am a little bummed that the quality is so bad when I upload on to the net... it is so much nicer in my windows media player.

Great video! Your DD will enjoy looking back at her progress someday.

I think your daughter is amazing for five!!!!! I enjoyed your video, thanks for sharing it! I wish I could figure out how to do something like that....too bad I am never home, LOL! My daughter is 6 & not quite doing BHS yet but has this "drive" to do skills too. She has the same form your daughter has with the handstands, she is not straight, she has this curved back. Is this a bad thing? Do they outgrow it?? Seems like in order for her to stay up & hold it longer she seems even more curved at time.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back