WAG My proudest moment ever as a gym Dad!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My wife received an e-mail from another gym parent yesterday. This mom said that her daughter (a year younger and a level below mine) was having one of "those days" and didn't want to go out on the floor. She said that my daughter took about five steps onto the floor then turned and took her daughter by the hand, talked to her and then they went onto the floor hand-in-hand.

I called my daughter into my room last night. I said, "I heard a rumor. What happened between you and (the other girl) last night?"

She replied, "Oh, I just helped her."

I prodded and asked, "What does that mean?"

She said, "I just told her that everything was going to be all right and that we'd go out together."

I was so proud. I told her that what she did there is more important that winning any competition and that being kind is what really makes someone a champion. I'm one lucky dad!

cbone -

Congrats to you for raising a child with the kind of compassion and empathy that we so dearly need in the future. I have been where you are and it is a really good feeling inside, isn't it? Her action will eventually lead to her being a role model and mentor to "the littles"; it's the quiet actions like she demonstrated that will set her up very well for the future. Good job!

MD, we are losing two girls from our gym. These girls are both going into high school. Last year they were "only" level 5s. They were the ones that really loved and mentored "the littles" in our gym. The gym will miss them more that the girl who won state every year from Level 4 to 10. I have always talked to my daughter about being like those girls- especially to the younger gymnasts. People will forget your titles quickly. Your kindness will last.

Good for her! People do forget titles and accomplishments, and just remember the way they felt in your presence. So true! Congrats on raising a kind little girl!

You should definitely be proud. I struggle with anxiety issues and when I was little, I never wanted to go in. On one particularly rough day, one girl came out into the lobby, talked to me, and walked me in. I'm willing to bet that she doesn't remember me, but I remember her. It's the small things that matter the most. Your girl sounds like a wonderful and kind person!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back