My roundoffs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

are really annoying because I just can't get them!
My coach tells me that i need to make my legs go over my head, since they go to the side more. How do i make my legs go OVER my head and not to the side? I don't understand how to make my body do that because I tell myself too and it doesn't really work :(

Often times a poor round off stems from incorrect hand & head placement. You should make sure that your hands are turned properly & you keep your head in. A drill that I make my gymnasts do that seems to be helpful is to set mats up tall on each side of you & try doing your round off in between the mats. You don't want the space in between to be too big or it will defeat the purpose of the drill. When you do the round off this way, think about kicking your legs up high over your head...if your legs hit the mat then you know you went around the side & need to kick higher. I hope this helps you

Could be a few things.

If you are reaching too much to the side, it will make your legs kick around the side. This is why it is best to do cartwheels and round-offs on a line.

If your head is out causing your back to arch, your legs will go around the side a bit.

Doing CW and RO in the canyon is a good drill but many tumblers/gymnasts will open their hip out to the side as they kick in the cartwheel. Kick the first leg over your head and don't open your hip out.

Often times a poor round off stems from incorrect hand & head placement. You should make sure that your hands are turned properly & you keep your head in. A drill that I make my gymnasts do that seems to be helpful is to set mats up tall on each side of you & try doing your round off in between the mats. You don't want the space in between to be too big or it will defeat the purpose of the drill. When you do the round off this way, think about kicking your legs up high over your head...if your legs hit the mat then you know you went around the side & need to kick higher. I hope this helps you
I also use this drill. It should help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back