My second meet this season--USAIGC states

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GikiGirl

Proud Parent
Gymnast
I had another good meet. I was technically in the USAIGC 18+ age division, but they lumped me with 15+ since there were no other over 18s, which was fine cause then I could actually place possibly, and not just get an all around medal as the 'champion' of one person in my age group, like last meet. It was the NY states, and although I am from MA, NY is the closest gym to have states USAIGC so thats where I went. I qualified to nationals, but I am not going, because I can't afford that and also the AAU adult meet (both require airfare and hotel) and I'd rather go to the adult meet.

I had vault first and I blocked higher than last time, but I got a slightly lower score. The scoring was tighter at states for sure. My goal was to block higher by getting my butt and heels up fast, and I did that.

Bars I have been doing really well on so I tried to be really clean and go for the stick on the dismount. I did all those things, and it was basically my best bar routine all year at the gym or at a meet. I ended up getting third of over 20 girls, age 15-22 in my group.

Beam I wanted to just not wobble and shake thru out the routine by staying calm and taking my time, and trying to expect the landing to be perfect rather than expect to be off if that makes sense. Which has been working for me in practice. My whole routine was almost entirely stuck w/ just the smallest check a couple times and a very small step on my dismount. This was the best beam routine I have done in a meet in a long time and even good for practice, and I got an 8.8 which was fifth.

Floor was the hard event. My tumbling has not been wonderful this week. Then, the floor was the stiffest one I have ever been on. In the meet I felt like I wasn't rotating enough on my front pike so pulled super hard and then overrotated and put hands down. I stumbled out of my turn as well which I have been having problems with (I seemed to have fixed my full turn on beam, but not the 1 1/2 on floor all the time). I did fine on the rest of the routine. I know if my front tumbling was stronger lately I could have pulled it out even on a stiff floor, so I need to work on improving my tumbling so its more consistent and so that the type of floor doesn't matter so much (I very rarely actually fall on my front pass, sometimes its just a little lower or a little overroted by mistake).

I figured I had blown the all around falling on floor but was still really really really happy w/ the first 3 events, but I ended up 5th in the all around so that was a nice surprise. I am used to not placing at state level meets so I couldn't believe it. It seems like most people had one really low event, and my lowest was floor with 8.5 (with a fall) and then up to 9.075 on bars so I was consistent and it made a difference.

I had a ton of fun and definately will do USAIGC next year, hopefully more than just 2 meets.

That is great! I definitely applaud you for getting out there and doing what you love to do. You had a great meet at States, congrats!!

Good for you Gina! Glad to hear you did so well, especially on bars!!!!You have been working really hard, and it has paid off!

Good for you Gina! Glad to hear you did so well, especially on bars!!!!You have been working really hard, and it has paid off!

Yeah, and you pointing out when I bend my legs was helpful too, LOL! The beam too was huge for me because, I have at times in the past fallen 3-4 times in a meet, and to be so solid is a huge confidence booster!

yay!! awesome job, gina! it's awesome to get through a beam routine and not fall! and you did great on everything else, too!! i'm so glad you were able to feel better with your stomach so that you could train and get to compete. hopefully it continues to feel better. :)

Congrats, Gina! I'm proud of you! Sounds like you did a fantastic job and will keep moving up the ladder. It's great to know your stomach is doing well. Maybe soon you can visit me and attend the gym for open workout together. I would love to see you in action! I'm sure I could learn a lot just from watching you. :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back