WAG MyMeetScores top 100 question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MinnieGymMom

Proud Parent
So, I am one of the moms thats in charge of the end of season banquet this year and I was asked to come up with new ideas for awards. So I came up with an award for gymnasts who got on the MyMeetScores top 100 scores list. There are 6 at our gym so far. Do y'all think thats too little
What do y'all do any special awards like this at banquets etc?

Not all meets report to that site, so that feels a bit unfair to me.

We don’t do any special awards at our banquets. The girls that have done well all season have earned their recognition already and really shouldn’t need more. And the girls that have worked just as hard but not made it to the podium don’t need to be reminded of that.

Instead, every girl is recognized with a certificate and the coach or owner says something about the level as a whole (total state, regional and national medals).

I don't know how large your team it, but I think it might be good if you did some kind of recognition for success outside of scores. Maybe you could have certificates for the most positive teammate, the most consistent worker, the best gym helper, etc... Girls that hit the top 100 on mymeetscores most likely have already received lots of recognition in the form of placing and medals.

DD's gym does a small gift for all of the girls, a certificate with their season highs on it and the coach talks about each girl while giving it to them. Often something funny, a nickname, or something cute they all do at practices, etc. And, there are a couple of special awards. Each level has a most improved, biggest contributor and best teammate/best attitude

At DD's banquet, the coaches had to pick 2 girls from their team and there was a special award for those girls (hardest worker, most improved, etc). There was also a special award for 1 girl in the entire gym. Some honorary award which all the coaches voted for (usually one of the seniors I think).

I agree with only 2 or 3 awards per level including a most improved, most spirited- best teammate, possibly MVP. I would have only one be related to score or performance.

All scores are not on mymeetscores. I’ve even tried putting the link form meetscoresonline and they don’t add it. So frustrating!! Metroplex did not add their level 10 scores this year.

If you really want to do something by scores, keep track yourself for your own team and give award to highest vault/bars/beam/floor/AA scoring average across all levels. It’s good because it rewards consistency, and If you have a large team this can be fun cuz you might have a level 3 get the vault award, level 7 get the bar award, level 10 get the AA award, etc.

All scores are not on mymeetscores. I’ve even tried putting the link form meetscoresonline and they don’t add it. So frustrating!! Metroplex did not add their level 10 scores this year.

SOOO true. My daughter's highest score ever and her only 1st place AA is not on mymeetscores from her meet a few weeks ago. It was that magical meet where everything came together and she hit all 4 events. And while it probably wouldn't have put her in the top 100, it would have listed her as her gym's high bar score record. She would be really sad if at the end of year, that meet "didn't count" as awards were given just because some external site didn't upload that meet.

I personally like a mix of performance related awards and teamwork related rewards at the banquet. The girls loved the "stayed on beam all season" award which can cut across levels, "best cheerleader" award, and "fierce conditioning" award -- and if you want to focus more on scores, you can give out highest scores on individual apparatus.

At the end of year banquet, gymnast were called up by level to be recognized and given a end of season gift. The coaches also had small trophies for special awards at each level. The categories were most outstanding, hardest worker, most improved, and most team spirit. Could add "most perseverance" as a another option to highlight a gymnasts who overcame injuries/struggles. The trophies had the category on them, gymnast name, and year. I love seeing a trophy personalized to include the child's name.

So, I am one of the moms thats in charge of the end of season banquet this year and I was asked to come up with new ideas for awards. So I came up with an award for gymnasts who got on the MyMeetScores top 100 scores list. There are 6 at our gym so far. Do y'all think thats too little
What do y'all do any special awards like this at banquets etc?
Yes more awards are better. :)

There are no awards at our banquet. The girls received their awards at the meets. The banquet is a fun time and focused on the graduating seniors. I'm glad that they don't do awards especially based on scores because it should be a fun time and not a reminder to the girls who could be a little bummed that they didn't have a great season. I'm sure others may disagree but this is just my opinion. My daughter was a state champion last year and received her recognition at the meet, on the gym's website and in the newspaper. That was enough. There were girls who were disappointed in their performances so I feel like awards revolving around scores shouldn't be recognized at the banquet.

There are no awards at our banquet. The girls received their awards at the meets. The banquet is a fun time and focused on the graduating seniors. I'm glad that they don't do awards especially based on scores because it should be a fun time and not a reminder to the girls who could be a little bummed that they didn't have a great season. I'm sure others may disagree but this is just my opinion. My daughter was a state champion last year and received her recognition at the meet, on the gym's website and in the newspaper. That was enough. There were girls who were disappointed in their performances so I feel like awards revolving around scores shouldn't be recognized at the banquet.

Exactly. Please do not use a banquet to dwell on scores. I should be a time to reward all the girls for their hard work .I like positive awards related to characteristics or work ethic. Not "funny" awards that make fun of weaknesses.

Kids who do well at competitions already get rewarded a lot. How about those kids who put in the effort day in and day out, but perhaps lack natural talent so don't often get recognised in meets.

Most dedicated, most improved, team spirit, hardest working, best attitude, etc.

No awards here either. They compete all season. End of year banquet is just about fun. They get their yearbook. They all sign each other’s.

Regarding getting on the Top 100 on Meet scores. Even without all the data, unless those 6 are really high up there, it’s likely to change by banquet time.

Our gym does fun awards. My son got "new kid on the block" last year because he just moved to that gym. Others were most improved, hard worker, king of swing, pommel god, comeback kid, etc. There is one award that the coaches all vote on that is the team captain award I think that is the only "serious award".

We have gymnast of the year, usually the gymnast with the best competition results. We have biggest talent, this is the preteam kid who has improved the most. Then we have unluckiest gymnast of the year. A kid with serious injury or some other reason they were out for a long period, but still pulled through.

We have gymnast of the evening every practice though, this is someone who overcome a fear, got a new skill etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back