WAG Nadia Comaneci - perfect 10.0 - just out of interest?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Uglybetty

Proud Parent
With Nadia being on our TV screens in the Uk with the BBC's Tumble, I started to wonder. How much would her infamous "first" perfect 10.0 be scored under the new COP?

I am so interested to hearing the answer to this. Many of the moves no longer exist in the code of points since the bars are a zillion miles apart now.

Interesting question, I'd like to know the answer as well. I wonder how the old bars compare to today's FIG setting.

It would be interesting, but it's not a fair comparison. With both Nadia and Olga Korbut - it was more than just the skills. They launched gymnastics into a new era.

I didn't really appreciate Olga till I saw a special on her a couple years ago (she was a little before my time). However, I remember as a really young girl watching Nadia and I fell in love with the sport.

It was a compulsory routine too, so does not compare to anything we see now. Elites used to do compulsory routines and optional routines. The last Olympics for this was 1996.

Execution is pretty good; she'd probably score in the high 9s for that. Not a 10, mind you -- there are a few spots where she would get deducted for body position under the current code.

She'd get an extremely low D-score, though. No release skill, only partial dismount credit (since that dismount is not a D -- it might not even be a C under the current code). If I'm not mistaken, there isn't a single skill in the routine that would be valued higher than an A in the current FIG code other than the dismount.

Last edited:
There's no way to even remotely make that kind of comparison. She might as well have been doing another event completely. It's like asking what a pommel routine would score under today's uneven bar code. The event has gone in a completely different direction since then, which is why any skills that necessitated or encouraged stopping or standing on the bar fell out of favor or were outright banned.

I'll say it again, I miss the old bars. The transitions between the two bars were so much more creative back in the day. As soon as my elbow is feeling better (tendonitis), I'm putting the bars close together at the gym to do some short kips and bar beats!

... and let's not forget arriving at the meet 15 minutes prior to open warm-up to find your bar setting :)

With Nadia being on our TV screens in the Uk with the BBC's Tumble, I started to wonder. How much would her infamous "first" perfect 10.0 be scored under the new COP?

please don't misunderstand, i love Nadia and Bart and we competed against each other (really an oxymoron in gymnastics) and we're good friends. but it wasn't a 10. Mary Lou's wasn't a 10. it's just that everyone else that went before them scored so high that the judges had nowhere to go but up t0 the 10. and because they were the best routines on that day.

by today's COP, no way their artistic score would be anywhere near a 10. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some of the moves with the bars close were quite fun. The bruised hip bones not so much though.

HA! I tried to explain the hip bruises and pain for wrong settings to my DD and her team friend. They thought I was crazy explaining bar beats!

Reactions: sce

I know her dismount that got named after her would only be ranked a ''B'' in the new FIG 2013-2016 CoP.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back