MAG Name That Move -- ____ Punch

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

lilmisssunshine

Proud Parent
There seems to be some sort of floor move that my 7yo sees the older boys do.
He thought it was called a bazooka punch, but that's not turning up any videos.
Any ideas on what it could be? He sometimes hears things wrong.

I was hoping that there was something that sounded similar and I wouldn't have to do this, but....

It apparently starts out with a ROBHS, then goes into a "flippy twisty thing" with a landing and an immediate jump up (this is the "punch", right?) into another "flippy twisty thing". There's potentially an arabian in there, and he goes back and forth between thinking that the flippy twisty thing has a fairly straight body (like in a layout) and thinking that the legs are bent in a kind of squat position. Arms are crossed over the chest.

I have to admit, to my untrained eyes, all of those flippy twisty things sort of look the same to me. I'm thinking it just takes some time...

So, not a named move but it could be something htat your coach calls that. You can potentially do any flippy twisty thing into another flippy twisty thing ;)
Agree with this. A ROBH anything can punch into just about anything. So it may very well BE called the Bazooka Punch. ;)

A Barani starts frontwards though so not out of a RO BHS. Or are there two flippy twisties after the RO BHS? That could be 1.5 punch barani. That would make sense.

that is true. I had to reread it ..

D did a robhs with a back 1 1/2 twist followed by a front full. BUt I am not sure it has a name....

I will find a movie of that barani to my son tomorrow and see if that's it. (We've made a last-minute decision to go to our first amusement park trip of the year as soon as he gets home from school.) Honestly, I have no idea if this is even something that he was watching and someone said "That's a bazooka punch" or if he's heard people say it and tried to connect it with a move himself. I also just had an idea that maybe it's something that the coach has just invented to mean like a really powerful punch. I will also see if I can ask one of the older boys tomorrow without embarassing my son about misunderstanding or mishearing something.

But while I have you're attention.....I see skschlag saying "back 1 1/2 twist..." and ZJsMom saying "1.5 punch barani" and I'm wondering how to pronounce those. I've also seen something written as 3/2 twist.

Like, would you say it "one-and-a-half twist" and "one-point-five barani" and "three-halves twist" or is there one proper way to say them all, even though people write them different ways?

Oh, and another thing...is there every anything called "key bars"? My friend swears that her son sometimes seems to be calling p-bars key bars, and she's not sure if he's heard something wrong or if he's just talking about something we don't know about.

Uh, I'm pretty sure it's always the "and-a-half" pronounciation. At least that's how I say it. Not a terminology guru though :p

You think floor is bad, wait til you get to pommel horse and all those turny things that aren't simple circles, travels, or Russians. Stocklis and moores and kehrs, oh my! And it took me a long time to figure out what a "branny" was.

The goal now is just to know enough of the names of things to be able to look appropriately impressed when he comes home saying, "MOM! I got my blah blah!" or "I started doing drills for my whachamacallit!" At this point I can at least match up the named skill with the appropriate event, which is victory in my book. Pro tip: once your kid is an optional, you can't go too wrong by saying knowingly, "That's a C, isn't it?"

But while I have you're attention.....I see skschlag saying "back 1 1/2 twist..." and ZJsMom saying "1.5 punch barani" and I'm wondering how to pronounce those. I've also seen something written as 3/2 twist.

Like, would you say it "one-and-a-half twist" and "one-point-five barani" and "three-halves twist" or is there one proper way to say them all, even though people write them different ways?
back one and a half twist; one and a half punch barani; 3/2 twist is usually pronounced "one and half twist."

The improper fraction form is often used in writing out skills because otherwise, the numbers can get confusing. 1 1/2 can look a lot like 11/2, and what is that? 1/2, 1/1, 3/2, 2/1, 5/2, 3/1...somehow that seems clearer. Maybe it's a judging thing?

Is it really bad that my son is about to be a level 10 and I still know nothing about the skills? I've heard the names, seen him perform many of them but couldn't tell you when he is doing one type of circle on the pommel horse versus another type or one type of thingy on the high-bar versus another, twisty things on the floor.... I now can usually match skill name to appropriate event - well maybe not usually but often or sometimes. :oops:

My dad knew the name of one skill, geinger. So after every meet when I'd report a fall, his response was always "geinger?". "Yeah dad, missed my geinger on rings".
Hah. Sounds like DS's father. DS is rehabing a knee injury right now. The other day, he was talking to his dad about doing Geingers at practice and dad replied "wow I can't believe your vaulting already." lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back