Name Your Favorites for the 2008 USA Olympics Women Or Men's Team

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am hoping for Jana Bieger to come back strong next year!! I think you can`t count her out just yet. :)
I agree Shawn, Nastia and Alicia belong on that team if healthy.

I wish Tessa Pama were an option but with her injuries and lack of international exposure...I just don't think it's going to happen.

What exactly did happen to her? She's definitely one of may all-time favorite gymnasts, but she seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. What sorts of injuries did she have, and do you know if she plans to return to competition?

My Team

Shawn Johnson
Nastia Liukin
Chellsie Memmel
Shayla Worley
Ivana Hong
Alicia Sacramore

Who would compete on day one and day two?

Shawn will compete both days
Nastia will compete on day one on all events and on day two will compete bars and beam on day two
Chellsie will compete on vault and bars on day one and on day two will compete vault
Shayla will compete on all events on day one and day two will compete on bars and floor
Ivana will compete on bars, beam, and floor on day one and on day two compete beam
Alicia will compete on vault, beam, and floor on day one and day two compete vault and floor.

That is my team.

What exactly did happen to her? She's definitely one of may all-time favorite gymnasts, but she seems to have disappeared off the face of the earth. What sorts of injuries did she have, and do you know if she plans to return to competition?

New news from Jan - I can't believe I missed this, regarding Tessa.... Oh my goodness I hope she can work it out - I would love to see her be apart of this years games!

"Hong’s former training partner may have limited international experience, but Pama is rumored to have upgraded all events. Resting 2007 may have been a smart decision by her coaches, because Pama is rumored to have impressed Bela Karolyi at the recent non-national team training camp. It has been speculated that Pama is adding a DTY on vault and Patterson dismount off balance beam. Should Pama seek an Olympic Team berth, being assigned to the 2008 Pacific Alliance Championships and/or World Cup competition is imperative in order to gain experience. Pama scored well under the new code at the 2006 Pacific Alliance Championships and the 2006 Gymnix International, and could contribute on any of the four apparatus in team finals. Youthful energy and an international look good be just the right assets for being named to an Olympic Team; it certainly worked for Michelle Campi."

link here

http://theolympiceffect.blogspot.com/2008/01/olympic-team-outlook-usa-womens.html

I think Johnson, Liukin, and Memmel are absolute shoe-ins with their medal count and talent. Sacramone will probably be added as Liukin's counterpart, even if she only competes on vault.

I personally like Shawn Johnson and Nastia Liukin. They're both very talented and I hope both of them make the USA team.

ivana hong is old enough b/c she is 16 by the end of the olympic year and her b-day is in december...

1. Shawn Johnson - difficulty, all-around, MUST
2. Nastia - elegance, we need her bars and beam, MUST
3. Alicia - she has power on vault and floor, and she really can pull the team together
4. Shayla Worley - personality, unique, has to be consistent though
5 and 6... Ivana Hong - helped out at worlds, unique, but can she get the scores needed to put USA in first? Sam Peszek - she needs more than just vault, she needs to help overall, Bridget Sloan - why has everyone forgot about her? she's great!!! enough experience and the scores...i'm not sure

~Chellsie and Jana: I just don't know. Will they be ready? Are injuries going to hold them back? Unlikely in my opinion...but maybe
~Tessa Pama: Personally, i feel she's great, but she just doesn't have the experience that you need to go into the olympics. who knows though.

My favs for the team:

Nastia Liukin
Shawn Johnson
Alicia Sacramone
Samantha Peszek
Chellsie Memmel or Jana Beiger
Shayla Worley

I agree

I agree with you Geoffrey, except that I hope they pick Ivana instead of Jana. I think she is better all-around and is more of a team player.

if it were up to me, and all the gymnasts were 100% healthy, the team would be

Liukin (UB, BB)
Sacramone (VT, FX)
Johnson (VT, BB, FX)
Memmel (UB, BB)
Sloan (VT, FX)
Worley (UB)

but now, I'm thinking it will be

Liukin (UB, BB)
Sacramone (VT, FX)
Peszek (VT, FX)
Memmel (UB, BB)
Johnson (VT, FX)
Bieger (UB)

though, I'm hoping it's Bridget in that last spot for bars

There are so many choices for who should be on the team and it seems unfair tht we can only choose 6 people. If i could choose this would be my team:

Liukin: Bars&&Beam
Johnson: Vault&&Beam&&Floor
Memmel: Bars&&Beam
Sacramone: Vault&&Floor
**Those in my opinion will no doubt be on the team, however the last two girls i cant decide upon, there are so many choices**
???Hong: can pull out the big scores when needed
???Beiger: im just not sure
???Peszek: strong on vault but weak in others
???Worley: Solid but inconsistent
???Sloan: Strong and can pull out the big scores

UPDATED:
1. Shawn...qualified
2. Nastia...qualified
3. Alicia
4. Sam P.
5. Chellsie
6. IDK

could be: Jana, Shayla...but she's broken, Bridget, or Ivana

*HOPING THAT CHELSEA DAVIS OR MATTIE LARSON GRAB ALTERNATE POSITIONS!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back