Names of different types of mats?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Kiwi

Coach
Proud Parent
Gymnast
Judge
I keep seeing various types of mats named here - panel mat, sting mat, resi, cheese and so on - and would like somebody to please explain what they all are. We have lots of different types of mats in our gym but I've never heard anyone, even the coaches, call them by these names. Maybe our coaches do call them by the proper names sometimes, but not whenever I've been listening. We just call them 'that one over there', 'that thick one', 'that thin one', 'that squishy one' or 'that light blue one'. Can somebody please give me a lesson in Mats 101!

A panel mat is a simple floor mat that unfolds and is usually a dark blue color but can come in any color.
A sting mat is a thin floor mat, only about an inch thick off the ground, but super soft and relieves the sting when tumbling and landing. It doesn't fold up and is usually a greyish color.
A resi mat is a huge mat, about 3 or 4 feet high. It's can be used for anything but I mostly know it as a mat you vault onto or put under high beams and it's usually red but again I'm sure it can come in any color.
And a cheese mat is the wedge mat that I suppose looks like cheese and on an incline. It's mostly used for rec classes and learning basic tumbling.

I hope I cleared it up a little bit, but anyone else can add on because this is just how I define them and it might be different where you live!

okay my attempts to include pictures has failed and I can't delete the post
Panel mats
2Q==
Sting mats
images
Resi mats
Z

Cheese mats
Z

Look in the Norberts link at the top of the page, you can go to their mats page and each one is showed, described and that will be the best way for you to get what the different ones are.

Panel Mats

panel.jpg

Resi Pit

resi-pit.jpg

Skill Cushion, Crash Mat, 8 inch mat, 8 incher

crash-mat.jpg

Cheese, Wedge, Hill, Ramp, Incline

hills.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News