WAG Nastia Liukin LANDS her quad twist!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I found this in my computer..I also uploaded it to Youtube..why she never used it to upgrade her A score..the world may never know!

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IjgrOB6GGA&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IjgrOB6GGA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Last edited:
What the heck was with the screaming and the picture at the end????

But I would have to agree with I-Heart-Beam. Maybe that's why she doesn't do it....and we don't actually see her land it.

She does land it, I watched the rest on youtube, but if you watch it carefully it ISN'T a quad- when she lands she's facing out towards the crowd, a complete quad would be facing inwards. She turns round really quickly once she's landed so that it looks like a quad. Major deduction if it was competed.

Of course she was what, fourteen here? A few months training and you never know.

Last edited:
This video was pre-ankle injury and Nastia had a tough time getting the passes she completed in Beijing back. The quad may have been too difficult for her to get back, specially since she had to add the double front. If you watch her floor routines from the whole quad she's got different passes in very one - it took a lot for her to get consistent with her tumbling, and I'd rather she twist a bit less and be able to hit than throw an inconsistent big trick.

The way the code is written discourages her from adding the quad twist, too. She can get more bonus from connections than a single big trick. And if she under rotates at all (which she definitely did in this video, it's only a 3-1/2 twist), it will get downgraded. If she got downgraded to a 3/1 twist and she already had a 3/1 planned, she would only get credit for one of them. Turns out she didn't use the 3/1 in Beijing, but at the time of this video she was throwing more twists, and ti was more of a concern. Her Beijing routine was very well constructed to maximize the affect of minor errors on her end score.

It's still really cool that she was going for it at least. Too bad it probably won't be seen again from her, and that the code continues to amaze for its ability to mess with everything.

Thanks for posting the vid. :)

I'm glad I didn't get a chance to see it, then.
I suffer from panic attacks when I see scary things. I'm not a wimp, either. It's just how I react.

I saw this before, I'm not sure if she did make the full quad, but I know she can do them. Yesterday I was looking at old USA gymnastics magazines and found an old article when she finally moved up from junior to senior! haha crazy. She was talking about how she liked twisting on floor, how that was her favorite and she likes doing quads.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back