Off Topic Navarro Cheer

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

txgymfan

Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Has anyone watched the Docu series Cheer on Netflix? What did you think? I liked the students and appreciated their honesty. The coach disturbed me.

I enjoyed it from an entertainment perspective. How the final competition went down like holy cow they couldnt have written a more compelling ending.

I didn't quite understand how they treated injury--Just because a kid (and lets be real these are still kids in many key factors) WANTS to compete that doesn't mean they should be allowed to. They are risking so much of their future health on a sense of belonging that they crave (that for many comes from unhealthy emotional trauma that no one is addressing because cheer solves it???) There is a lot of willful ignorance on behalf of the adults under the guise of these kids want to be out there and the kids would tell us if it was bad? I'm not sure...

Welcome to the ring of fire....that is all :)

I loved the whole series.

I just wish they had addressed Lexi's vaping. That has to be HORRIBLE for an athlete!

It made me angry when she forced the boy with a back injuy to practice as punishment for doing all star cheer the day before. He could have dropped someone.

The tumbler also said in a follow up that the end of her story was completely misrepresented.

I would not want my child to be a flyer in a cheer program like that. The matts are so thin and the girls got dropped on a regular basis.

Vaping is horrible for anyone.

It made me angry when she forced the boy with a back injuy to practice as punishment for doing all star cheer the day before. He could have dropp someone.

I know this has gotten a lot of slack from viewers. Since this IS reality TV, I hesitate to take what they presented to viewers as 100% factual without skewing for shock value. My guess based on what was shared was that he literally competed the day before with his All Star team, despite the back tweak, so from the coach's point of view it seemed reasonable to expect that if he can do that, he can practice. Maybe they both underestimated the injury. It clearly wasn't a huge deal because aside from that scene, they didn't mention it again. Maybe he has a history of doing stuff like this and that particular day she was just done. Who knows. It looked bad, yes. But honestly we don't know the full story.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back