WAG NCAA’s new recruiting rules

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It’s ALWAYS been high school and high school grad year and college and college grad year. I don’t know but I’ve not seen college with the year they start college. If they did, it would likely indicate freshmen year. But still it would not make sense to see it that way.

It’s ALWAYS been high school and high school grad year and college and college grad year. I don’t know but I’ve not seen college with the year they start college. If they did, it would likely indicate freshmen year. But still it would not make sense to see it that way.
No, it’s always been high school graduation, and/or “Future LSU Tiger .......” and the date they start competing. This putting the date for college graduation is new. That’s how everyone always knew what grade the commits were in, by their start date for competing in college or their HS grad date.

Attachments

• E0D07710-7989-42CA-B5C1-125BAA8B09DB.jpeg
    E0D07710-7989-42CA-B5C1-125BAA8B09DB.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 62
No, it’s always been high school graduation, and/or “Future LSU Tiger .......” and the date they start competing. This putting the date for college graduation is new. That’s how everyone always knew what grade the commits were in, by their start date for competing in college or their HS grad date.

Putting the date for college graduation after a college name has ALWAYS been the norm. That is not new at all! In your attachment, the gymnast Madi McMullen is indeed giving her high school grad year or as you‘d like to put it, her college start date (though I have to say that is not the normal interpretation of that information, but whatever!). If you look at the part you circled, it does not contain a college name! It merely states “Level 10 gymnast 2022”. So it is safe to assume she is in high school and that is her high school grad year. If she had a college name followed by a year, that year would be her college grad year, NOT high school grad year or her college freshman year. With no mention of a college, I’m not sure what you are trying to point out or prove with that attachment.

In any event, in your initial post, you believed the year listed after the college name was their high school grad year or the year they are to start college. A college student (as well as high school and grad students) have always identified themselves by their grad year not their freshman year, ever! So if you see a school name followed by a year, that will always mean their grad year and not their freshman year. This is pretty common knowledge albeit may be confusing for some.

@GAgymmom, while the years listed following the schools name can trip some people up, it is a universal and not new premise for grad years (not freshmen year) to follow school names.

So I’ll probably regret posting this, but it seems the new rule about when colleges can make an offer to gymnasts isn’t being followed. In the past week, I’ve seen several commitment announcements for gymnasts in grades 7, 8, and 9. Seventh grade!!? So anyone who has the inside scoop, is the new rule a hard and fast rule or just a suggested guideline?

My question is that I saw over the weekend on social media a 7th grader filling out a questionnaire for a D1 college that was sent directly to this child; on the questionnaire it was asking to list all the meets the 7th grader was attending this upcoming season. This 7th did attend a L10 college showcase recently but how is it still okay to send this type of communication to them when they are only 7th grade? Or did the college not look at age/grade when sending out this sort of "mass mailer" to kids?

@GAgymmom, while the years listed following the schools name can trip some people up, it is a universal and not new premise for grad years (not freshmen year) to follow school names.
For high school, but not when announcing their new commitment to the school or that they’re a “Future GymCat 2025,” because it doesn’t make sense to say you’re going to be on the team in 2025 when you mean 2021. 2025 woukd be the year they’re no longer on the team, making them not a “Future Gymcat“ in 2025. I’ve been following these recruit announcements for 14 years, and this way of promoting their future commitment is new.

For high school, but not when announcing their new commitment to the school or that they’re a “Future GymCat 2025,” because it doesn’t make sense to say you’re going to be on the team in 2025 when you mean 2021. 2025 woukd be the year they’re no longer on the team, making them not a “Future Gymcat“ in 2025. I’ve been following these recruit announcements for 14 years, and this way of promoting their future commitment is new.

Commitment announcements are not saying when they will be on the team! Lol They are saying their class year, which is their grad year; and it has always been that way from the beginning of time! I encourage you to look at all commitment annoucements, and there are announcements that go over the 14 years you been following, and present just one that supports what you are saying.

My husband played division 1 college football more than 30 years ago and I know many of his friends and my friends did and it was NEVER the college followed by the year they are starting college. It has always been their school and their class year.

I know you will insist you are right. So believe what you want

Commitment announcements are not saying when they will be on the team! Lol They are saying their class year, which is their grad year; and it has always been that way from the beginning of time! I encourage you to look at all commitment annoucements, and there are announcements that go over the 14 years you been following, and present just one that supports what you are saying.
Just curious as to who it is that has committed but isn't yet a junior?? I've been following most of them and haven't seen any pop up.

Just curious as to who it is that has committed but isn't yet a junior?? I've been following most of them and haven't seen any pop up.

I have no idea. I’ve not made any representations whatsoever on any college commitments. It was GAgymmom who has misunderstood college commitment announcements. She saw posts announcing commitments and she incorrectly assumed the year listed following the school name indicated when they will be joining the team and not their class year.

I have no idea. I’ve not made any representations whatsoever on any college commitments. It was GAgymmom who has misunderstood college commitment announcements.
OK, you said at present there was just one that supported what she was saying, I was wondering who that was.

Colleges can send out generic things like this, I'm guessing it was from utah? My DD got the same thing. They do a lot of mass mailings. They get a list of gymnasts from easters, westerns, nationals, Hopes, etc....
I too have seen this. I find it odd that a mailer can go out asking what meets you will be at if you aren't even old enough to be "looked" at!

OK, you said at present there was just one that supported what she was saying, I was wondering who that was.

I looked back at my posts and perhaps I did not explain myself clearly. GAgymmom has NOT provided anything that supports what she is saying. In response to one of my posts, she attached an instagram post by a Maddie McMullen which she purports supports her contention that college commits have always listed the college they’ve committed followed by the year they are to start college. But the instagram post she attached was not even a college commitment announcement, merely a post that states this gymnast is a Level 10 gymnast. See the attachment. I believe GAgymmom drew a circle on what she thought supported her argument.

Attachments

• C2BEBC61-B080-4B06-9EB6-95D2A4EDF50B.png
    C2BEBC61-B080-4B06-9EB6-95D2A4EDF50B.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 29
I have no idea. I’ve not made any representations whatsoever on any college commitments. It was GAgymmom who has misunderstood college commitment announcements. She saw posts announcing commitments and she incorrectly assumed the year listed following the school name indicated when they will be joining the team and not their class year.
There was a MSU recruit who is a high school sophomore that committed according to someone earlier. She had the offer prior to the new rules and committed recently.

They are always being looked at, they just can't communicate with the gymnast or her coaches. There is a college coach coming to my daughters gym in a few weeks and the day this coach is coming is a day when only a small number of girls will be practicing, the oldest being a freshman (who is already committed) and the youngest being 10.
Seems very interesting and really quite flagrantly not following rules. If they are not to talk to coaches about these underage recruits then why go. It is one thing going in while there are other girls of recruitable age practicing and noticing or watching others, its a whole other thing going in and specifically watching ( yet not talking to any coaches about them.. um yeah right ) kids that are not of age.

As far as I know it's no different than coaches going to a meet to watch certain girls. Or those girls sending in videos to the coaches. To think that the coaches aren't going to watch girls until after June 15 of their sophomore year is crazy.
I am not saying i agree with all the rules, I just think that i do not think for a minute that coaches and recruiting college coaches are not talking about these girls. I think going to a meet that there are all kinds of ages there its easy to just watch.. but going into a gym.. when the girls being watched are all under recruitment age is crossing the line.. blurred if you will...

Seems very interesting and really quite flagrantly not following rules. If they are not to talk to coaches about these underage recruits then why go. It is one thing going in while there are other girls of recruitable age practicing and noticing or watching others, its a whole other thing going in and specifically watching ( yet not talking to any coaches about them.. um yeah right ) kids that are not of age.
I think that's really crossing the line. If there's a recruit of valid age, fine, but if the coaches on both sides know that there is no one of legit age, it's shady. Very different than going to a meet that takes place in public. The mass mailings mean nothing and the questionnaires aren't worth the time until high school anyways.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back