WAG NCAA 20-21

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

@gymgal is correct. NCAA gymnastics loses millions of dollars. I cannot think of one NCAA gymnastics team in the top 36 that breaks even, but please correct me if you can think of any? The information is mostly public, and last time I looked a few years ago I *believe* every team in the top 12 lost at least $500,000 per year and most lost one million or more.

In addition, the money spent and earned on football requires Title IX parity which has given female headcount sports security. NCAA women's gymnastics has GREATLY benefited from football.

Our Local college gymnastics team usually sells out every meet (10,000+).
True, but Very few gym teams fill their arenas and when they do, we are talking about 10-15k. Football is often 50k+. Not to mention the merchandise, ticket costs, donor money because of football, etc. We have 2 ncaa teams and neither charge ticket fees. They still can't get 500 in the stands most meets, unless they are competing against each other.

Sorry about the change in title, I was trying to do something on the thread and I goofed it up.

Our Local college gymnastics team usually sells out every meet (10,000+).

That’s great for your college gymnastics team. But even both the Ivy League Championship and ECAC Championships don’t even fill half the gymnasium! My two older kids graduated from UC Berkeley and every football game we attended was pretty full and at least 4x the size of the gym; and Cal’s football team was a pretty low ranking team. They did however bring home the Axe for the first time in a decade!

The reality is, and without question, when it comes to revenue, football is a huge moneymaker!

Your regular reminder that when we discuss football, we need to watch both sides of the balance sheet, and keep in mind that balance sheets exclude externalities. Cal athletics faces largest debt

I have no doubt football expenditure is larger than any other sport. And even though Cal faces their largest debt, their less than stellar football team still brings in the most money among all their sports. In 2019 the football team brought in excess revenue of +$7M. Women’s sports as a whole had a deficiency of roughly -$15M. The numbers are similar between $8-9M for the 4-5 years prior.

In any event. Cal football may not be the best example of football being the biggest money maker. It however still proves my point. I can’t imagine gymnastics in any school even UCLA, LSU, Alabama brings in more money than their football counterpart (which was the point I was making regardless of example), even looking at both sides of the balance sheet.

Since 2003, Cal football always brought in excess revenue and ALL the other sports except men’s basketball were in a deficit. Football was the second biggest money maker in 2003 and 2004 next to men’s basketball. By 2005: it doubled its excess revenue and stayed the largest moneymaker to this day,

I have two kids who graduated from Cal. So I may be a tad defensive! Haha. I don’t mean to be. Go Bears! ;)

Lastly, incorporating externalities is too complex to add to the equation. So I can’t even address that. But your point us taken.

Every Pac 12 sports program received over $30 million this year from the football TV contracts and bowl games. While Cal is not Oregon, it did make it to a bowl and helped the conference with bowl earnings--something UCLA and USC did not do. Big 12 and SEC had even bigger payouts--over $50 million. The externalities that are mentioned above have to do with Cal's dramatically poor financing for its football stadium, something that it will have to deal with over the next few decades. Surprised some supersmart/wealthy alum has not helped guide them towards better refinancing. No new basketball arena or gym practice facility (which is badly needed) until that's taken care of, although they did manage a fancy new swim stadium.

Sorting out the financing and coming up with a real balance sheet is a complicated endeavor. There's an economist who runs a gadfly blog at Oregon who has tried very hard to look under the hood. He's probably singlehandedly responsible for keeping one person fully employed managing FOIA requests involving UO. The problem is that the more you bring in, the more you need to put into the program to keep up with the arms race. And again, some externalities can be captured. Some cannot. When the Ducks win or lose a big game, the UO police know they'll be getting overtime. So do a lot of other service organizations. I don't know what's going on now, but I do know that not all that long ago, the academic side was paying huge subsidies to the athletic side at UO. I think that it finally ended after several years of fighting, but I am not entirely sure.

I still enjoy college football, but with all the concussion info, a lot less than I used to enjoy it, and I honestly wish the big money would get out of it. There's no earthly reason we should have a system where football coaches are the highest paid public employees in several states. I'd prefer that overall we had a world in which sports were part of a balanced student experience for students who enjoy them.

I apologize for dragging this thread off topic, but I think a lot of people don't realize how complicated the question is. Even experts disagree. You can't judge the financial impact of a sports program without understanding some of the background about what's going out the door.

The OU team's financials appear in OU's EADA Report. The team gets close to filling the side of the extremely large arena where they compete.

OU Women's Gymnastics 2019
Expenses: 2,971,978
Revenue: 343,671

I'm no accountant, but that's a 2.6 million dollar annual shortfall.

So far my daughter is set to head to campus in August and join the rest of the team. She is a freshman so just joining in and most of the team is already on campus (minus the freshman). No idea what the Season will look like but for now they will practice and assume there will be a season. Only time will tell I guess

My daughter is supposed to head to campus in early September. She will be going to school in NY and students from states that are on the NY restricted list will not be permitted on campus (or even allowed to quarantine for 2 weeks beforehand). My state (Minnesota) was on the list last week, taken off this week and likely will be on the list again next week. We may not even know if she can go until the last minute but hopefully our cases will start to level off since we now have a mask ordinance.

As far as gymnastics...so far I think my daughter is the only one on her team from a restricted state. The sports league her school is part of cancelled all fall sports competition but will be permitted to train (along with those doing winter/spring sports, if I read the press release correctly). I don't believe her team will be competing but even if they do, there's easily a scenario where my DD will not be part of the action this year. My daughter has already connected with her teammates and is in frequent communication on social media with the other freshmen. She's all set to room with a girl who does another sport.

It is what it is, you know? We are trying to just roll with whatever happens but DANG, the on again/off again of whether she will go is annoying!

My daughter is supposed to head to campus in early September. She will be going to school in NY and students from states that are on the NY restricted list will not be permitted on campus (or even allowed to quarantine for 2 weeks beforehand). My state (Minnesota) was on the list last week, taken off this week and likely will be on the list again next week. We may not even know if she can go until the last minute but hopefully our cases will start to level off since we now have a mask ordinance.
I read about this policy a few weeks ago. I can't remember if it was from here or info from my dd. So, when a state comes off the list then the student magically is at no higher risk of contracting it and can be let back on campus? Sorry, but this policy is ridiculous. If they are testing all the students coming back and also requesting them to quarantine at home for 14 days prior to move-in, then that should be allowed for the out-of-state students as well. Give them the option of quarantining in a hotel or friends/family for 14 days prior, just like everyone else. This is so discriminatory and is not based on any scientific grounds. Even the governor is not refusing to allow people into the state. They are just required to complete the quarantine. Sorry, but I am a little sensitive to this as we are also from a state on the list and it is ridiculous because much of our state is not a hot spot at all, with very small spreading but despite us never going to those hot spot areas, we are lumped into a high risk area?

How are the other NY colleges handling this?

Not NY college but this is how Vermont college is handling:
- every student looks up their state and county on VT government map.
- based on transmission rate, by county, you are deemed quarantine or no quarantine. So @gymgal, different counties in same state are handled separately
- then how you arrive to campus comes into play. Any method other than private car you arrive 14 days early, tested and quarantine in dorm room, then retested
- private car non quarantine state/county arrive 14 days after everyone, tested upon arrival
- private car quarantine state/county suppose to home quarantine, have negative test upon arrival, tested by school 7 days after arrival

well that is procedure now, what it will be in 4 weeks who knows. Testing is charged at $150 a pop to student account and we are responsible to try and get insurance to pay. In first 7 days they have 2 tests ....and we are coming from a non quarantine state and county.

I just saw where AZ State is redshirting their entire swimming and diving team for 2021. I guess pools are closed there for training but gyms are open? I think I had seen some recent videos of Riley McCusker training bars.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back