WAG NCAA eligibility and freebies

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

After our talk about Instagram and freebies today I started wondering. I see lots of gymnasts on Facebook and Youtube and IG accepting free leos in return for posing in them.

In Canada that would be considered as payment for work, and therefore taxable. Therefore being against NCAA rules for scholarship eligibility.

How does this work in the USA? I am very curious.

Reactions: sce
Well, to be honest, I'm not sure it would really come into play unless the child in question was actually a recruit. Just because I don't really feel like otherwise anyone is going to keep track of that and by the time it does come up those posts will probably be buried or the sites defunct. I'm not really sure the example you gave constitutes "pay for play" but it's probably best to err on the side of caution. Athletes can receive compensation and equipment that isn't in "excess" of their cost of participation basically (for example: http://usatodayhss.com/2014/club-team-nike-reap-benefits-of-sponsorship-2) but again I'm not sure if your example really constitutes that either.

Modeling does NOT lead to a loss of ncaa eligibility unless the model is paid. My daughter has done this and NCAA preapproved the contract. They can be paid for actual expenses (transportation/meals/airfare) but not for the actual 'modeling'. In addition, here's the wording from the NCAA as regards to getting 'free stuff'. This clause is quoted in her contract.

12.1.2.4.8 Exception for Receipt of Free Equipment and Apparel Items by a Prospective Student-Athlete. It is permissible for prospective student athletes (as opposed to student-athletes) to receive free equipment and apparel items for personal use from apparel or equipment manufacturers or distributors under the following circumstances: (a) The apparel or equipment items are related to the prospective student athlete's sport and are received directly from an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor; (b) The prospective student-athlete does not enter into an arrangement (e.g., open account) with an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor that permits the prospective student-athlete to select apparel and equipment items from a commercial establishment of the manufacturer or distributor; and (c) A member institution's coach is not involved in any manner in identifying or assisting an apparel or equipment manufacturer or distributor in determining whether a prospective student-athlete is to receive any apparel or equipment items.

So... i assume that a gymnast could get paid for modeling for say, Justice. I take it that they can NOT get paid for modeling for Ozone though. Seems kind of crazy to me. Also seems like it puts companies like GK and Ozone in a position to get some cheap models (only cost is their travel and maybe the kid gets to keep the leo that they wore?).

I'm wondering though, could a kid still get a gymnastics scholarship if they got paid for modeling track and field clothes? Or a swim suit? As long as it isn't in the area that they want a scholarship in?

Or what happens if a kid gets a job as a model (a kid who has done other modeling) and they get paid as an 8 year old to model speedo swim suits. At the time they have no plans of being a swimmer or a diver. Then, they start swimming and turn out to be really good. 10 years later would they be ineligible for a swimming scholarship because as a little kid they modeled for speedo?

So... i assume that a gymnast could get paid for modeling for say, Justice. I take it that they can NOT get paid for modeling for Ozone though. Seems kind of crazy to me. Also seems like it puts companies like GK and Ozone in a position to get some cheap models (only cost is their travel and maybe the kid gets to keep the leo that they wore?).

I'm wondering though, could a kid still get a gymnastics scholarship if they got paid for modeling track and field clothes? Or a swim suit? As long as it isn't in the area that they want a scholarship in?

Or what happens if a kid gets a job as a model (a kid who has done other modeling) and they get paid as an 8 year old to model speedo swim suits. At the time they have no plans of being a swimmer or a diver. Then, they start swimming and turn out to be really good. 10 years later would they be ineligible for a swimming scholarship because as a little kid they modeled for speedo?
I've often wondered these same things! I know it would be a rare case, but it seems like it would be potentially taking something away from a kid!

After our talk about Instagram and freebies today I started wondering. I see lots of gymnasts on Facebook and Youtube and IG accepting free leos in return for posing in them.

In Canada that would be considered as payment for work, and therefore taxable. Therefore being against NCAA rules for scholarship eligibility.

How does this work in the USA? I am very curious.

shhhh...:)

I also wondered about this with respect to UK gymnasts. Here kids are eligible for athlete grant funding- it's usually not a lot, but will cover training fees, equipment and living expenses. @Jenny tells me they get some compensation if they're selected for GB squad from the age of 8...

The likes of Jenny pinches/danusia francis/beck wing etc would have all received these grants while training elite, so maybe it isn't classed as "payment".

US has that too, but compensation that isn't in excess of training costs is allowed. I know in the US the amount is not enough to have money beyond the cost of gymnastics.

Since income doesn't have to be reported for tax purposes until a certain minimum is reached (used to be $600, not sure what it is this year), a child would have to receive a lot of every-day leos for this to be tracked at all. Fewer comp leos I guess, but those aren't the ones I see. And since that would then become business compensation, all of the costs of that business (e.g. training fees) would become deductible and there would be no adjusted income at all.

I thought that NCAA eligibility was only a question once an athlete was high-school aged?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back