Parents NCAA Eligilibity Questions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Luv2Sew

Proud Parent
Our booster is running this fundraiser however I thought that prospectives were not allowed to raise money using their names even if it was for a non-profit/Charity. I can't find the guideline documentation on this. Does anyone know if this is permissible under NCAA eligibility rules? I mean how can they prove that it was mailed by the booster and not the athlete since they are asking the athlete to sign the letter?

"1) We would like each child to bring in 10 names & addresses of family, friends, favorite businesses.
2) Once we have collected addresses, the children will address & sign a letter to each person/place (we will provide the letters, envelopes, etc)-during or around workout time.
3) Boosters will mail the letters and wait for the donations to come rolling in!!!
This style fundraiser is the same used by many collegiate athletics departments, and is often their biggest resource for financial support!!!
Please join us and send 10 addresses with your child(ren) to gym.

(**Please keep in mind that writing letters on your own to friends/family to raise funds is against NCAA regulations**)"

NCAA rules aside... Is this common/acceptable in your community and family? It would be extremely poorly received/socially unacceptable to send out letters asking for monetary donations related to a child's sports participation among my social circle and family. Selling wreaths, pizza etc is done, but flat out asking for a booster club donation of money... It would be considered rude and inappropriate. I am guessing this may be different in other communities??

I can't imagine doing a fundraiser like this, or receiving one like this. It just feels...odd. I wonder what the average rate of return on something like this is.

That aside, some questions: does all the money go into one pot to be paid out equally amongst the team? Or is it put into "funds" for each gymnast? Is the letter FROM the child, or FROM the booster club? If it is from the club, I think it will be ok, and if the money is community money, not individual. But I am not 100% on that one.

PS when high school kids do bagging at the grocery store, offer to do yard work, do car washes, sell cookies etc I always say yes. if I received a letter asking me to mail a check to a niece's booster club to help pay for their sports participation, I would throw it in the garbage and be offended. There is a difference. Take some time out of the gym and do something to earn that money!! Just my opinion of course, but wow half my friends would stop speaking to me for a while if I sent such a letter.

This is the type of thing you see in NCAA.... girls from the team ( and I know a kid on a baseball team at another college who had to do this too) are required to "submit" 10 names and addresses ( home and email) for contact by the school on behalf of the team.... it starts with "we are sending you a monthly newsletter" and at the end of the newsletter is the instructions to donate....very common and there is a pretty decent returnon the practice....can't say that I've ever heard of it at the club level but as long as all the monies raised by the boosters goes to ALL team members, it should be ok from a regulation standpoint.

my ds's swim team does this but it is related to a swim a thon. So it is asking for donations per lap. The team makes a lot of money on this fundraiser. $25,000 + but to be honest, compared to the amount of total swimmers, only a small number participate and most of the donations are from family businesses, grandparents, etc.

My understanding of the NCAA issue is that as long as the letters are sent on team letterhead/with logo, etc and it is mailed from the team office, it is considered a team fundraiser and should not affect eligibility. Of course, this is only true if the funds that come in are handled appropriately - to go toward the benefit of the entire team, not individual team members.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back