WAG NCAA Women's Gymnastics Championships Vs. USAG Collegiate Nationals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

justanothergymmom

Proud Parent
I understand what NCAA Championships is, and the regionals process that you qualify through, but can someone explain what USAG Collegiate Championships is and how teams qualify? Can Division I and Division II teams compete at either/both? What about Division III?

It's for Division 2/3, D1 that give 2 or less athletic scholarships(mostly the ivies) and the military academies.

For sure all the ivies have less, they don't have any.

Qualification is by average scores during season.

There are 3 national championships for NCAA women's gymnastics teams each year. Here's who can qualify to each:

1. NCGA Championships (end of March) - any D3 team that is a member of the NCGA, the governing body for D3 gymnastics, can qualify. This is all D3 teams except for Centenary, which just recently became D3 and is not located in one of the existing NCGA regions. Here are some highlights from this year's competition: .

2. USAG Collegiate Championships (just happened) - any D1/D2/D3 team that is not part of the NCGA and has less than 7.5 full scholarships can qualify. This is the Ivies, Air Force, all D2 teams, any D1 teams that are not fully funded (SEMO right now, but there used to be many others), and Centenary.

3. NCAA Championships (this upcoming weekend) - technically any team that sponsors NCAA women's gymnastics can qualify, but in reality only the top D1 teams qualify. Here are this year's qualifiers: https://www.ncaa.com/news/gymnastic...al-collegiate-womens-gymnastics-championships.

The NCGA and USAG championships came about because the NCAA refuses to host a D2 or D3 NCAA Championships (as they do in most sports) because of the small number of D2 and D3 gymnastics teams. It gets a little confusing, but it allows each division to showcase their best athletes each year!

Thank you gymgal93! Great explanation!

Seeing that SEMO competed was what made me curious...I knew they were D1 and assumed they were fully funded, so I was wondering why they were able to participate. Besides SEMO and Towson, does anyone know of other D1 non-ivies that are not fully funded, and would be eligible to participate?

There are 3 national championships for NCAA women's gymnastics teams each year. Here's who can qualify to each:

1. NCGA Championships (end of March) - any D3 team that is a member of the NCGA, the governing body for D3 gymnastics, can qualify. This is all D3 teams except for Centenary, which just recently became D3 and is not located in one of the existing NCGA regions. Here are some highlights from this year's competition: .

2. USAG Collegiate Championships (just happened) - any D1/D2/D3 team that is not part of the NCGA and has less than 7.5 full scholarships can qualify. This is the Ivies, Air Force, all D2 teams, any D1 teams that are not fully funded (SEMO right now, but there used to be many others), and Centenary.

3. NCAA Championships (this upcoming weekend) - technically any team that sponsors NCAA women's gymnastics can qualify, but in reality only the top D1 teams qualify. Here are this year's qualifiers: https://www.ncaa.com/news/gymnastic...al-collegiate-womens-gymnastics-championships.

The NCGA and USAG championships came about because the NCAA refuses to host a D2 or D3 NCAA Championships (as they do in most sports) because of the small number of D2 and D3 gymnastics teams. It gets a little confusing, but it allows each division to showcase their best athletes each year!

Excellent!

Thank you gymgal93! Great explanation!

Seeing that SEMO competed was what made me curious...I knew they were D1 and assumed they were fully funded, so I was wondering why they were able to participate. Besides SEMO and Towson, does anyone know of other D1 non-ivies that are not fully funded, and would be eligible to participate?

Temple, Rutgers, College of William and Mary? Not sure about their current funding but they have competed in recent years.

I know that SEMO is having some funding issues and may be at risk of getting cut, so I assume that is why they were eligible this season. I don't remember them competing at USAGs in the past. Towson, Temple, Rutgers, and W&M all used to not be fully funded and were eligible to qualify, but I believe now are all fully funded (yay!) and not eligible.

On RoadToNationals, you can navigate to Standings and then click Regular Season - Division - USAG to see this season's rankings of USAGs-eligible teams. According to that ranking, these are the teams that were eligible this past season: Lindenwood, TWU, Yale, Bridgeport, Air Force, Cornell, Brown, Penn, West Chester, SEMO, Seattle Pacific, Southern Connecticut, Centenary.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back