Need advice for important decision - help much appreciated

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My 10 year old daughter has competed in gymnastics for the last 3 years - going from Level 3 to 4 to 5. Her current team is a local YMCA. So far this has worked out, but we've noticed a lot of girls quit the Y after this level, due to the poor equipment ( no spring floor, no dedicated area-the girls spend half an hour of practice time each day putting away the equipment, etc). Also, none of the coaches have a lot of personal competitive experience, and none competed at the college level. They also do not provide feedback after meets as to how to improve scores, and actually oftentimes are late to the meet!
With these negatives are a lot of positives. Convenient, close location. Great teammates and fellow parents. Although the coaches are not the best, they are very nice to the girls.
Now to our predicament. My daughter recently went to a birthday party at a local private gymnastics club. It's twice as far away as the Y. But it has great equipment, and it's sole purpose is gymnastics. I called the Head Coach and arranged for my daughter to work out with their Level 5 team. This coach comes from a gymnastics family, competed herself at the University of Georgia, became an asst coach at another college, and is now taking over the gym from her parents. Needless to say, my daughter loved it. Instant feedback. Nice coaches. Nice teammates, etc. the schedule for practice isn't as ideal as it is now, but it would only be 1.25 hr more per week. Of course it's more expensive, but not that much.
Shes having trouble deciding what to do - stay at the Y or try the gym if she stays at the Y she most likely will move up to Level 6. The gym would keep her at Levl 5 for one more year, and she is ok with that
try the gym. She said her goal is to compete in college, and she's even mentioned wanting to coach.
If anyone out there has been in this situation, or could provide questions or other things we should consider it would be greatly appreciated.

If her goal is to compete in college, you will need to change gyms. I also believe the benefits to having good equipment include a safety component as they get into the more difficult skills.

Go to the club! Moving up to level 6 at the "Y" won't do her nearly the good that able coaches and decent equipment will. If she truely wants to compete at the college level, and at her age who knows for sure, she'll need to begin serious training now rather than later.

Hope you enjoy the drive.;)

leave the Y no spring floor with the harder tumbling will do havoc on her back and could cause some big injuries. don't limit yourself to just that one gym either - Look around and see what else is out there you might find one just as good and a bit closer too.

go to the club. know her parents, and this gymnast personally. great gym:) that's all.

Where she trains must be all dependent on her goals in the sport. The Y is great if their aim in the sport is to have some fun and do some competitions, learn cool skills and so on. This is particularly good for kids who do other activities where gymnastics helps like cheerleading, dance and martial arts.

But if their goal is to go to college gymnastics, compete high levels, do well at competitions or make a career as a coach then go to the private club.

Go to the private gym. I am also aware of who the coach is (not personally) based on the detail of the post. Can I suggest the original poster be cautious with the information given if you wish to stay anonymous online. The fact that you gave us a lot of positive details about the gym suggests that you know moving is for the best and want approval from others. I am pretty sure after a period of time at the new gym your daughter will be thanking you and possibly asking why you did not move her sooner. It is hard for kids to make change even when they know it is for the best. Make the decision for her.

There's a chance that the Y has a "return anytime" policy and not just from taking a break, but from another team. You can possibly talk to them openly about trying the private gym, and come back if it doesn't work. The same cannot be said of all private gyms.

New gym - it will offer her the opportunity to advance to whatever level, whereas the Y is "maxing out" at level 5 for the reasons you gave.

I think you need to move. The way it seems to work (here at least) is that whatever level you are training at, they are also gently introducing skills, or prep for skills, for the next level and even the one after. If the gym doesn't often take people beyond level 5 they might struggle to do that as well as somewhere with a strong follow on programme.

I could have written almost this same post last summer (if you look back at my history, you can probably find it, followed by many other angst-laden posts on the same subject until the decision was made. There were also PM's to Dunno in which he gave me the same advice he gave you.). We switched and have been SO happy we did. DD is thriving in the new gym and was level 6 state beam champion this year. Onward and upward to level 7! The level 6's we "left behind" at the Y didn't have a great season and two of the three of them have now switched to the new gym, both repeating level 6. DD also talks of college gym and coaching, though she's "behind" from her Y start (competed level 6 as an 11-year-old), but who knows what can happen if she works hard. She certainly has a much better shot at it now than if she had stayed at the Y.

One word of warning... the private gym has turned out to be MUCH more expensive. Really, the hourly rate is less than we were paying at the Y, but she is there many more hours. And the Y team really tried to keep cost of things like meets, leos, etc. down as much as possible so as not to price anyone out of the sport. This year we will be paying for a $170 leotard (which is approximately what I paid for my wedding dress...), a $100 ensemble (leo, shorts, t-shirt) to wear at other events where the team all needs to be dressed alike, $200 choreography to a $40 piece of music, a meet in Chicago (a long with 8 other meets 3-4 hours away), and, and, and... Truly, if she wasn't doing gymnastics on a "partial grandma scholarship" we wouldn't be able to do it, and we are not poor people. Just make sure you get a breakdown of any and all costs (and how much they're likely to increase as she moves up) before you commit so that you are not caught off guard.

New gym...hands down. No spring floor scares me when they are doing tumbling that is higher level. Also, why should you pay the Y for your child to haul equiptment?! That sounds crazy! I mean, I know my daughter moves mats around but anything else...I wouldn't want that. You are paying for your child to learn skills (teamwork, too....but still!)

It sounds like you like what you saw at the new gym...and your daughter did, too.

And if it has Dunno's seal of approval, then it must be a good thing :)

Good luck and let us know how things go!

New gym...hands down. No spring floor scares me when they are doing tumbling that is higher level. Also, why should you pay the Y for your child to haul equiptment?! That sounds crazy! I mean, I know my daughter moves mats around but anything else...I wouldn't want that. You are paying for your child to learn skills (teamwork, too....but still!)

High on the list of the many many many things I DON'T miss about the Y... tearing down the equipment after each practice! Also not having a spring floor. Not sure how the girls managed to do as well as they did given their lack of a spring floor. To this day, when I hear the level 4 and 5 music I half expect to hear the music stop before each tumbling pass. Music stops, they run to the strip of air floor, music starts, they do their tumbling pass, music stops, they run back to their spot on the not-quite-regulation-size "floor", music starts...

So much great advice given already, I would just like to say good luck with coming to a decision. It's great having a place like this with like minded people able to share experiences.

Definitely switch! I am a Y girl and as much as I love my coaches and team I really wish I had been to a private gym. I just graduated and I am going on to do division 3 gymnastics in college, but I would have been a lot better off for the team if I had been at a private gym and would have maybe been able to do division 1.

I coach at a YMCA and we have level 8's and 9's and 10's....and have had girls get full ride scholarships to great college gymnastics programs....

we try to get it out of everyone's head that the Y is just "for funzies" as we are very competitive, and you have to be, in Southern California....

I think people just tend to think that the Y's won't be very good.... sad really!

We have a really stellar Y program a couple of hours away from us. I know there is at least one CB mom on here from that gym. They have a beautiful dedicated gymnstics space, practice similar hours as private gyms, have girls up through level 10, etc. But, in our state at least, they are the exception, not the rule.

I coach at a YMCA and we have level 8's and 9's and 10's....and have had girls get full ride scholarships to great college gymnastics programs....

we try to get it out of everyone's head that the Y is just "for funzies" as we are very competitive, and you have to be, in Southern California....

I think people just tend to think that the Y's won't be very good.... sad really!

and you have a spring floor, right?:)

I'd consider moving gyms soon. Coaches can't be late to a meet, ever! Before I compete, I need my coach there. Not talking to me, but there for moral support.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back