WAG Need advice on confidence esp. On beam! Help please!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay so I have regionals coming up here soon and have a chance of making it to state if I hit my routines ( It's a reallllly tough tough regionals.) To make it better one of the top teams in the state is with my team in our rotation. To make it even better beam is our first event! Sectionals beam didn't go very well for me but I placed in top 6 still. I just get really shaky and nervous before my routines! I have been told I put to much pressure on myself but I don't know how to fix that. Anyone have helpful tips or suggestions??? Maybe you have gone through it too?

Picture in your head doing perfectly stuck routines. Go over and over in your mind, seeing yourself on beam doing your routine without a wobble or a fall. Do it now, do it the day before your meet, do it while you wait for warm up.

Breathe.

Breathe again.

and remember that you are awesome!

editing to add that I was a figure skater as a young person and these were things my coach would help me do before competitions. I used to get so nervous I would throw up. Then I learned to breathe, and picture in my head everything being perfect.

Good luck to you!

Try the best you can to get through an entire beam workout without falling or wobbling on the easy stuff It'll take a lot of concentration on keeping your core tight, chin up, shoulders back and level.

You'd be surprised at the number of difficult skills that rely on those things. How many, you ask? Hmmm, let me think for a moment...... Oh yeah, they all count on those things, and a few others, but every skill will have a moment where those four things need to be done correctly.

So nail the warm-up drills and the rest of your beam work will be a lot easier, and that'll help build the confidence you're hoping to take with yuo each time you mount the beam for the judges.

Have you "mentally choreographed" your routine? By this I mean you have key words that you say to yourself with each skill and move on the beam. It is the same thing every time. It will keep your mind from wandering and therefore help keep out the negative thoughts. It takes practice, but if you do it at every practice, it can help. Basically make your own script- kind of like the guy that narrates the compulsory floor routines. But you can add it whatever reminders you need.

What always helps me when I'm doing my routine is to keep a rhythm going, and take it one skill at a time. I think of each skill as a new opportunity to do something perfectly. Even if the last skill didn't go so well, just let go and try to focus on the skill you're doing, making it the best it can be. Don't think ahead, focus on what you're doing.

Before your routine, (right before your mount) take a nice deep breathe, and just go for it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back