Need Advice on Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mom2Gymgirls

Proud Parent
I could use some advice on grips. DD#2 is going to start back in gymnastics, and she could use a new pair of grips. She currently owns an older pair of US Glove single buckle grips. We tried Reisport before we bought the US Glove grips, but she didn't like those. They seemed too wide. There are girls on her team who use Gibson Just Right, but she says she doesn't like those either because they are too narrow. So, I guess we are looking for something in between Reisport and Gibson.

She has a friend who uses the velcro Ten-O grips with padded inserts. She tried those on and said that she liked the pad and that these grips don't have flaps on the finger holes. Those seem to be the only ones without the flaps. Anyway, I'm not sure about velcro grips. I can foresee DD having problems getting them to fit tight; however I really like the idea of the padding around the wrist. I wasn't certain whether to just go with the 10.0 pair or get something else. I looked at US Glove, and there are a couple of theirs that have padding. One is a single buckle Hot Shot grip, and the other is a Millenium velcro grip, but both of those have rubber bands on them that her current grips don't have. I've also looked at a Bailie velcro grip that has an insert that you can get in regular or narrow, but I don't anything about these. Any suggestions or what kind you or DD prefer?

Also, does anyone else use US Glove? I confused about the sizing. It differs on the US Glove website from other places like DGS. I'm wondering which is accurate. US Glove website lists a size 1 as 6 1/8" but on DGS and other sites it says a size 1 is for 6-6.5". If it's really 6 1/8", then that may be too small, although the current pair of US Glove grips DD has is a size 0, but those are rather stretched out now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, as both a coach and gymnast, I HATE buckle grips. To me those just never fit right and would stretch out and are just plain annoying. A few of the girls who I coach have them and they often have trouble with them. Just my opinion on those...

The smaller girls that I coach actually use the hot shot grips and they all really seem to like them. They are really good for small/narrow hands. Our older girls use the Millenium velcro grip. The rubber bands are easily removed. Some of my girls decide they like them and leave them, others remove them right away. It's a personal preference. It does help keep fingers in the holes for skinny fingers.

I've found that the sizes on the US Glove site are pretty accurate for their particular grips, though I always keep pairs on hand so I can just size kids that way and haven't used measurements in awhile.

My gymmie has the Ten-0s you mentioned and loves them. She's always had velcro and doesn't seem to have a problem. I know coaches sometimes don't like kids to have them if they constantly are adjusting and readjusting the velcro. She just started using her 2nd pair with the wrist inserts(I think its there 501 style) and has had no problem breaking them in. The kind she has are the ones they advertise as being a little softer with minimal break in. Her last pair are still in pretty good shape after 1 yr as a L7/8(stretched out a bit). We got the new pair so she would have newer grips to start the season with.

Some kids with very slender wrists have trouble getting buckle grips to fit. If you have to punch extra holes to make the grip tighter around the wrist it can pull the leather that goes over the hand. One girl at our gym had to send hers back to the manufacturer last season so they could rip it and resew the leather. Major pain!

She has a friend who uses the velcro Ten-O grips with padded inserts. She tried those on and said that she liked the pad and that these grips don't have flaps on the finger holes. Those seem to be the only ones without the flaps.

Yes! I've been trying to explain this problem to people for years. Anyway, I have those grips (501) with a buckle. I think only the velcro comes with the insert attached, but you don't need it with the buckle, well in my opinion, but actually you can get them separately and they they stick on or something. I just used them with the buckle and my regular wristbands. The 501 style comes in velcro and buckle. Mine have lasted very well. When I do have to replace them, it's because I tend to grab the bar low on the grip right after catching it and kipping out, and adjust when I start swinging, so I wear down the stitching on the wrist part oddly. But that's more my problem than the grip problem. Some people don't like these grips. They're really not as easy to break in as Ten-O bills them. But once they're broken in, they've held up well for me.

Edit: also, about the buckle sizing, I know people who have had better luck with the double buckle style - I'm not sure who makes it, but it seems to fit smaller girls better. I am pretty sure there is even a style now with a buckle and velcro strap - this might be something to think about if a coach/gymnast prefers the security of a buckle with the backup of the velcro to adjust/tighten.

Last edited:
i have the 10.0 grips & i couldn't live without them!! i used to use the us glove grips w/ the buckle & no padded insert, but my wrists would always hurt b/c there was no padding so i got the 10.0's!! i've had no problems w/ the velcro. i LOVE them & would DEFINITELY recommend them to anyone!! :)

May I jump into this thread. DD is level 4 who will be moving up to level 5 after this season, can do a kip, but not consistent. She is a little peanut, I have already spoke with one of the coaches about getting her grips for her birthday. I am between the pixie grips and the hot shot grips. When I do the measurements from wrist to middle finger tip I get just over 5 inches, so for both it comes out to size 00.

Ok the point to this is which are better the pixie grips or the hot shot grips?

Thanks.

I would suspect both are fine, but from a known quantity standpoint, Hot Shots have been around longer so more people have them. You might even be able to look some over that are a teammates and see how they look on your daughter's hand. I like the Ten-O grips myself but if I were suggesting generally I'd probably tell people Hot Shot. Either way I think you are right to go with the slimmer cut at this age, level, and size.

Not sure how other coaches feel, but I would not recommend putting a L4 in dowel grips. 1st off- there really isnt any need, 2nd they need to learn how to shift for the kip with out grips. I have seen many kids who went into dowels way too soon, and dont really shift their whole hand- they just grip the bar w/ their fingers & dowel & hop their hands rather than shift.

Also, from a safety standpoint its hard to teach young kids how to shift, esp with dowels that are wrapped around the bar. If the gymnast does not shift, the dowel locks around the bar, but their body keeps going around the bar- hence grip lock- and a wrist/ arm injury.

Last edited:
Not sure how other coaches feel, but I would not recommend putting a L4 in dowel grips. 1st off- there really isnt any need, 2nd they need to learn how to shift for the kip with out grips. I have seen many kids who went into dowels way too soon, and dont really shift their whole hand- they just grip the bar w/ their fingers & dowel & hop their hands rather than shift.

Also, from a safety standpoint its hard to teach young kids how to shift, esp with dowels that are wrapped around the bar. If the gymnast does not shift, the dowel locks around the bar, but their body keeps going around the bar- hence grip lock- and a wrist/ arm injury.

Going to second this. The only time I ever even saw a L4 in dowels was a teeny tiny little girl who could barely grip the bar. Not my gymnast, her coach said it was because she could barely get her hands to grip the bar. I know a lot of coaches who have been around for awhile that cringe at the mention of dowel grips because they've seen some of the griplock/crunch joint moments.

Last edited:

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back