Coaches Need advice

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just wanted to let you know the hand placement discribed by Geoffrey Taucer is the hand placement being taught by my daughters coach with the hand turning and all.

Also my dd coach doesn't mind her trying to fix this at home she is encouraging it. It is not that she is just learning this skill she is relearning and trying to break bad habits, which she has many. Her coach doesn't offer private lessons, and once my dd understands a correction we only work on that move until it is committed to memory. I do understand ths is a process, and I'm not looking for a " magic cure" just more understanding and different points of teaching to help my dd understand what she is trying to get. She is more of a physical learner than a visual learner and has to feel a move so I was looking for suggestions to help her feel it then transfer it to the round off.

I think I'm understanding the hand stand pop. Is she landing on 2 feet in a sort of seated position, or with straight legs? and does it need to be done against a wall or can it be done from a handstand?

sorry:p... feet should be touching the wall, legs straight, she will be slightly rounded - this would be all one motion - lunge, handstand to rounded position - then she would use her back and shoulder muscles - not legs - to push off, landing on her feet in a slight seated (demi plie) and then rebound backward legs straight/together...

using the wall only helps to understand the lean of the body over the hands part, but snap downs can just be a lunge, handstand, lean body then snap back onto feet in demi plie, rebound...

I think I get it. But we gave it a try, and it didn't quit work.:confused: Is it a specific shoulder motion that causes the snap? She landed in the seated position but it wasn't really like a snap it was more like a fall. I think this maybe our whole problem with her RO. I would like to ask her coach about these, do they have a technical name? I am pretty sure they do not do them at the gym and they sound like they would help the gym alot.

The shoulders aren't the important part in a snapdown; the abs are. The shoulders should simply remain tight and extended for maximum block. The snap comes from pulling quickly to a hollow position using the abs.

It sounds to me like your daughter is on the right track, and just needs some time. Let the coaches do their thing, and she'll get it in time.

http://www.bboy.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=30195

Check out the video above, when he actually gets into the handstand position, he uses his whole body to snap down to standing. That is a handstand snap down, it is basically the second half of a flick. Often bhs are taught in two pieces, first the push back and then the snap down, A snap down will not work if she is not tight, tell DD her but and legs needs to be rock hard.

The snap down is also similar to the second half of the round off, you know that moment of air time when the hands leave the floor and the feet are "snapping " down to the floor.

Not that I'm a coach, but my own dd went through this and my youngest in now learning her bhs. Though practice will make perfect, it just takes some kids longer to understand about tightness.

I think I get it. But we gave it a try, and it didn't quit work.:confused: Is it a specific shoulder motion that causes the snap? She landed in the seated position but it wasn't really like a snap it was more like a fall. I think this maybe our whole problem with her RO. I would like to ask her coach about these, do they have a technical name? I am pretty sure they do not do them at the gym and they sound like they would help the gym alot.

its great that you know exactly where her weakness is Carmen, like anything it takes practice... a lot of girls just fall in the beginning. When she snaps back there is no shoulder motion, but she will use her shoulder, back and ab muscles to "push off" her arms should snap off the ground before her feet hit, she should be in a tight hollow body position and she should lift her chest up in order to bring her arms straight up and then rebound... these would be great to prac @ an open gym if your gym offers it, she can really play around with it more and get the feel.:)

The video is great I see the abs going from the arch to the hollow. We were trying to do it all with the shoulders no wonder it wasn working quite right. I also talked to our coach today. and asked about doining handstand snapdowns. She said we do a variation of them called donkey kicks they don't quite hit a hand stand that's why I didn't think of them that way. The donkey kick looks like it sounds a donkey kicking, but basicaly the same snap is acheived.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back