Off Topic Need French Speakers!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

SuperGirlmlm

Gymnast
For school, I have to give a speech on what I did this summer. That's easy, gymnastics. That's it. So, I never learned any gymnastics terms...Do you guys know any??
Beam, bars, vault, bars, ect. Just the simple stuff.

Use Google translate. Just type in "How do you say ___ in French?" That's about all I can give you. I took French last year but never learned that either, although I did go up to the teacher and ask how to say "gymnastics" for a project :)

Handstand equilibre

Kip. Basclue

Cartwheel roue

Roundoff. Rondade

Dismount sortie

If you want any more just wrote them down and I will help you.

I might just be able to help you :p I am doing french in year 12 and have an exam tomorrow and did gym in france when i was on exchange

Beam - La poutre
Floor - le sol
Vault - le saut
Bars - les bars
If you want to get the uneven part in its les barres asymétriques
For tumble strip i think it was le piste

I might just be able to help you :p I am doing french in year 12 and have an exam tomorrow and did gym in france when i was on exchange

Beam - La poutre
Floor - le sol
Vault - le saut
Bars - les bars
If you want to get the uneven part in its les barres asymétriques
For tumble strip i think it was le piste

bars are barres

Bog should be the expert, but if you still have questions I can ask my mom. French is her first language and didn't learn English until middle school. She might be able to help!

Bog should be the expert, but if you still have questions I can ask my mom. French is her first language and didn't learn English until middle school. She might be able to help!

Should is the operative word. I am good with gymnastics French as my girls trained in a French club, but not as good in day to day French. Don't think I am bilingual, but I can get by just about anywhere.

Should is the operative word. I am good with gymnastics French as my girls trained in a French club, but not as good in day to day French. Don't think I am bilingual, but I can get by just about anywhere.

Bog you are too modest! I bet your French is wonderful. My sister learned and speaks with my mom, for obvious reasons I don't know any of it lol. Although ASL is based off French sign not English so you never know! My guess would be your gym French is better than my mom's (though she reads a lot of her news in French online, including gym stuff) and her day to day might be better.

Bri my girls are working on learning ASL, they think it is fun. I told them about you, and your awesome gym career, they were totally impressed with you. They also wondered how young you were when you began to sign.

Awww not doing anything any other gymmie and/or Deafie would do! I've signed forever... which is really rare having hearing parents. My mom is (ironically or coincidentally I guess?) the Deaf/HoH service coordinator for our school district. When I was born she was interpreting. Anyway she raised me with ASL as my first language and introduced written English to me as my second language. A lot of Deaf born to hearing parents don't learn ASL until after they try to learn English (or whatever language) and it doesn't really work. You need to be exposed to a full language when you're little (if you don't by age 7 you can't really learn any language to the best of your ability ever). ASL is a full language. My mom is really good at explaining the technical aspects of it, it's a really heated debate in Deaf/HoH ed and there are some militant Deafies who are very passionate about it. Long answer to a simple question lol!

Yep! And my entire family. My dad, godfather, aunt, uncle and older brother all learned ASL for me :) My little sister was raised with it. I'm very blessed, esp when you hear about some of the horror stories in the Deaf community about people whose own parents refused to learn sign and wouldn't talk to their kids :-(

Yep! And my entire family. My dad, godfather, aunt, uncle and older brother all learned ASL for me :) My little sister was raised with it. I'm very blessed, esp when you hear about some of the horror stories in the Deaf community about people whose own parents refused to learn sign and wouldn't talk to their kids :-(

I have heard some tales. My friend adopted a baby from Siberia. It was discovered after a few months that she was profoundly deaf, that is when she began researching options and shared all sorts of horror stories. In the end she went with a cochlear implant and the little one is now nine and thriving. Though she loves to take off the hardwear and enjoy her quiet world.

Does your niece "speak" ASL?

Sorry about the hijack, but I guess we are still talking language.

Lol I was just thinking that, sorry OP! I figured in the Off-Topic thread there might be more leeway.

CIs are also VERY contraversial in the Deaf community. A lot of people think performing a life altering surgery on a young child (the only time it works) without their consent is bad, on top of that it makes Deafness out to be a disability that needs fixed medically. (not saying it's the case with your friends baby at all! Just a common opinion in the DC). I know for my level of hearing loss it would have been like putting a bandaid on a bullet wound and language never would have been the same. It's def an individual family decision though!

And yep! She does. My brother has always lived really close to the Gallaudet campus (the Deaf college) and kids are always really good at picking up languages. She's gotten even better since I moved in. She's sooooo much better than my brother. He tries but yeah ha ha. We sign fast together and he doesn't know what we're talking about sometimes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back